The state of the current English Shaving soaps

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: The state of the current English Shaving soaps

Post by drmoss_ca »

Goodness knows. I have shelves full of soaps, but I do not replace them on a yearly basis.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

I just have to purchase a new cake then! :) I wish that these firms actually would tell us when they change things, but I guess that is too much to ask for though.
Olle
Bill_K

Post by Bill_K »

Olle, please let us know how you get on with the Trumpers soaps. I purchased a puck of Eucris some time ago, and while the scent was fantastic its lathering capabilities left something to be desired. (OK, a *lot* to be desired.) I used up the puck in the shower.

I did get a bottle of Eucris EDT just a couple of days ago. Merry Christmas to me!!

Bill
Bill
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

I will! I wont be getting the Eucris one though.
Olle
brothers

Post by brothers »

adhoc wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:55 pm I will! I wont be getting the Eucris one though.
I'll be eager to learn of your results. My experience with these soaps has been less than acceptable.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
nav

Post by nav »

brothers wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:33 pm
adhoc wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:55 pm I will! I wont be getting the Eucris one though.
I'll be eager to learn of your results. My experience with these soaps has been less than acceptable.
+1
I'd also love to know the current status of trumpers soaps.

If anyone does post a review, please also post the ingredients, batch number/manufacture date so we can figure out if it's a reformulated soap.
woodsrider

Post by woodsrider »

I’ve never been overly impressed with the lathering performance of Trumper soaps (yes, blasphemy...). Of course, I don’t recall ever using Trumper back when it was tallowated (if that’s a word...lol).
Lynn
nav

Post by nav »

woodsrider wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:15 pm I’ve never been overly impressed with the lathering performance of Trumper soaps (yes, blasphemy...). Of course, I don’t recall ever using Trumper back when it was tallowated (if that’s a word...lol).
Their first veggie formula after dropping tallow was killer!
They reformulated again and everything went down the crapper!
LouisIII

Post by LouisIII »

Any recent purchases/thoughts?

I'd use my wetshaving time machine to stock up on vintage trumpers rose. The scent was unique and even the bowl shape was ideal. There was at one point a veggie version that was pretty good, but it seems even that's a thing of the past, alas?
~ Infusing the irreducibly quotidian with sensual pleasure ~
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

I have one puck of tallow Almond and two veggie formula (quite new I imagine) pucks on my way. :)
Olle
LouisIII

Post by LouisIII »

adhoc wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:36 pm I have one puck of tallow Almond and two veggie formula (quite new I imagine) pucks on my way. :)
How are the new ones?
LynnVang

Post by LynnVang »

I agree.
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

LouisIII wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:03 pm
adhoc wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:36 pm I have one puck of tallow Almond and two veggie formula (quite new I imagine) pucks on my way. :)
How are the new ones?
I have only tried the rose soap (new) one time and so far... it's not good. Very, very thin lather that dried up once on the face - I will give it another shot though because I really like the scent. The tallow Almond however was great.
Olle
LouisIII

Post by LouisIII »

Oh dear #-o

Makes me wonder about what trumpers business actually is. They've been selling these 'not fit for purpose' soaps for years now. I think it may be that much of their sales are gifts and ye olde England trinkets. Perhaps theyre notbactually being used much? Oh well, at least the home soapers have improved immeasurably, and many offer rose soaps.
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

A bit late to the party, but a year ago I was gifted Floris Elite, T&H Sandalwood and Penhaligon's Bayolea shaving soaps for my birthday. I was a bit underwhelmed and had to put on a brave face as I didn't expect much from them.

To my surprise (and relief) I found my concerns were unfounded when I started using them. They lathered as a proper shaving soap should and the shaves from all three were great, and I have been using all three since.

The lather is similar to the lather from the old C&E shaving soaps. I still have a couple of pucks of the old Sienna that I have been using in rotation with the trio.

I was hoping Trumper's had also made a change to the better so I ordered a refill of their Coconut, but it was still useless.
Eric
FireDragon76

Post by FireDragon76 »

I've been underwhelmed by any of them I've tried.

Maybe years ago when there was not much out there besides drugstore offerings like Williams, but today there are so many other choices that cost less. Unless you are an Anglophile, there's no reason to buy them.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I am surprised that it appears Penhaligons is not selling any shave soaps now. Both UK and USA websites list pitifully minimal lathering and brushless shaving cream options. Big on the fragrances.

DR Harris has updated/reformulated their tallow shaving soaps for the better, according to recent reports. This appears to be positive news for the DRH shaving soap customers.

GFT is sleepwalking through the decades, offering no hope for shaving soaps. For those among us who remember their golden years of shaving soap, they (GFT) are brazenly giving the cold shoulder to their once-enthusiastic soap customers. Trumper's is brain dead in the shaving soap department. One of our collectively most respected former members traveled to UK anticipating his chance to actually visit GFT, which he did, but when he tried to talk to the GFT employees about his beloved Trumper's, he was rudely ignored and patronized by the air heads on duty. I can imagine the depth of his disappointment.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Gary, I agree with you regarding the staff at GFT. Whenever I visit the Curzon Street shop i find the staff standoffish and not terribly helpful. On the other hand, the staff at the TOBS Jermyn Street store couldn’t be more engaged and helpful. The other difference between the GFT Curzon Street Shop and the TOBS Jermyn Street shop is that Trumpers keeps everything behind the counter or behind glass whereas TOBS has everything out on display for you to handle, sniff and whatever.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

The big wigs responsible for marketing at Trumper's appear to be incompetent.
Gary

Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Rufus wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:59 pm Gary, I agree with you regarding the staff at GFT. Whenever I visit the Curzon Street shop i find the staff standoffish and not terribly helpful. On the other hand, the staff at the TOBS Jermyn Street store couldn’t be more engaged and helpful.
Trumper's has always a bit this way, particularly in the Curzon Street shop. I think, to be fair, it's easy to write it off as rudeness when in fact it is more of a traditional, old-fashioned approach to retailing - a totally unique British style. I can understand why foreign visitors may find it odd.

The other shop (off Jermyn Street) I find to be less formal, but equally less authentic.

In response to the comment about keeping the product behind the counter/glass - this is because the display units in the Curzon Street store are original. Again, it is to respect the authenticity and history of the shop.