Rose, Cyril Salter and Vetiver

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Rose, Cyril Salter and Vetiver

Post by Sam »

Got s hankering for rose now. Salter makes a rose and a vetiver. Taylor and Trumper have rubs. Read that Trumper soaps may be iffy. Tiring of Tabac
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Re: Rose, Cyril Salter and Vetiver

Post by fallingwickets »

sam, as far as i can tell there is no salter rose soap. Also, on the t&h thread it was mentioned that the highly acclaimed rose cream is available in tubes....give that one a whirl! :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Clive, Salter still make the rose cream? Who else makes a vetiver cream? As I recall, the Salters were behind the three T's and then forbes and other British creams. Im inclined to do the Taylors rose since I get almost 2.5 times as much for the price as the Truefit tube and Taylors is half of what Trumpers is. But vetiver, unless I get a soap, I am thinking its just salter?
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Sam, I am vetiver lover and I find the Salter French Vetiver cream a treat. You've got to try it yourself though as it has elicited very strong reactions. That's all I can say about it. You'll either love it or hate it.

As far as rose is concerned I had a tub of the Salter's and though I liked it I liked Trumper's and T&H more so I gave it to my wife to shave her legs.

I say give them a whirl especially if you can get a sample first. There used to be some guys that provided samples but I'm not sure they still do.

The Salter's creams are very worthy IMHO you just have to get the scents you like.

Chris
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Sam, my apologies, I must have been having a 'becks' moment. What I meant to say is that t&h has rose in tubes that rumour has it is still good. The salter reference was about them not having a rose soap...sorry for being under the influence! :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Ken

Post by Ken »

Sam,

Trumper's, Taylor's, and D.R. Harris all make rose shaving creams. They all have a wonderful smell, work well, and are available in tubes if you want to try them out. Trumper's also has a rose shaving soap but my experience with their soaps in recent years has been disappointing. One problem with Trumper's and Taylor's shaving creams is that they have a heavy red coloring. They can stain your shaving brush (although it should wash out the next time you shave with a non-colored cream or soap). Taylor's at one time was also a very red cream, but it lightened over the years and now has no visible coloring. I haven't used T & H in a long while but if it is still available, it should be worth trying.

Ken
brothers

Post by brothers »

AOS Rose has been discontinued, but occasionally appears on ebay. That's where I got mine. It's a great shaving cream as are all of the AOS varieties. The scent is noteworthy.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Ken

Post by Ken »

Gary,

i agree. It was an excellent cream. It was marketed to women and that may have been a mistake. I think more men would have liked it if they had been willing to try it.

Ken
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

ok, trumper or taylor rose?

And for lime, Trumper, Salter, Taylor (lemon-lime) or Truefitt West Indian Lime?

And Salter French vetiver.

Wanting to get two more creams to compliment my half-finished Trueftt Lavendar.

So suggest two for me to get.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

I would do Taylor over Trumper for rose, but that's mostly because of brush staining from the latter.

For lime, Taylor's lemon-lime is awfully artificial IMO and not enough lime. I love T&H and Trumper both, so I'm not sure you can go wrong with either.

Salter Vetiver is great, and I'm a vetiver junkie. However, when I use it more than once a week or so, I tire of it, while I pretty much never tire of lavender or lime. If you don't anticipate that being an issue, it's a great choice.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I was thinking one rose for sure, taylor (17.08) or trumper, ($21.69) about even on them. Cant decide

Lime over vetiver, and any of those four would work, with Taylor probably being last. As I recall, I preferred Trumper over Truefitt and the Salter is the cheapest of those three but never smelled it . Any good deals on the Trumper lime? Found Truefit for $25.00 for lime, but no rose. Salter would be like $17.75. Ebay prices.

if I get Trumper rose cream and lime cream in the tubs, it is $39.50 at Royal Shave with free shipping. Fendrihans would be $38.00 if I did Salter lime cream and Trumper rose cream.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Well, I have a black tuxedo knot brush so staining is not a worry. Went to Royal Shave and got tubs of Trumper lime and rose each for $19.95 each shipped. Taylor was not that much less and as I recall, no rose. Fendrihan was close enough, had Taylor and Salter but their pots were $23.00 each.
Ken

Post by Ken »

I just noticed in a previous post that I said that Trumper and Taylor had a heavy red coloring. I meant Trumper and D.R. Harris. As I said after that, Taylor has dropped the coloring from their rose shaving cream.

Ken