Cyril Salter solid shaving soap (tallow)

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

Re: Cyril Salter solid shaving soap (tallow)

Post by brothers » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:37 pm

Teiste wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:34 pm
Gary , if you have an extra puck of this soap and want to trade it , let me know.
Teiste, sorry to say I don't have any. Maybe someone else on SMF can take you up on a trade. Good luck !
Gary

SOTD 99%: 12 soaps & creams, SilkSmoke synthetic, General by Colonial razors, Kai & Schick, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444 asb

brothers

Post by brothers » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:59 pm

In honor of the 40th shave on this 70g puck, I've shredded and pressed it into a push-up tube. The wooden bowl wasn't working out well for me. The puck was loose and sliding around. The tube is going to be very practical. I rough-guess it has about 40 to 50 shaves left. For your viewing pleasure, I present the following ---
Salter's Solid Shaving Soap tube.jpg
Salter's Solid Shaving Soap tube.jpg (588.11 KiB) Viewed 986 times
Gary

SOTD 99%: 12 soaps & creams, SilkSmoke synthetic, General by Colonial razors, Kai & Schick, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444 asb

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:10 am

19 thumbs up! :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum

Janus

Post by Janus » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:33 am

I finally got around trying this new tallow based soap and I'm sad to say this is and odd one for me. It's fine for the first few latherings but as the puck wears down a bit, it becomes increasingly hard to load up and the resulting lather is nowhere near as good. A bad puck, I thought, tried another one (I got a few) and it was just like the first one. Good at first but very hard to lather after it's seen some use. How could this be, I was puzzled. I still have no answer but I seem to remember Dr Chris having had a similar experience with the now extinct Wood of Windsor soap. Very strange indeed.
Janus

slackskin

Post by slackskin » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:20 am

Have you tried rubbing the puck directly on your stubble as if using a stick? That technique works well for me with other soaps.

Also, suggest PM to user "Brothers" who uses Salter pucks successfully.

Janus

Post by Janus » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:14 am

Slack, thank you for the suggestion but I think I'm going to use them up as hand soap. I much prefer pucks over sticks. Besides, I have what you might call an 'ample' stock of soaps that perform better for me (old tallow AOS, Tabac, Valobra, DRH, Cella, MdC etc. etc).
Janus