Cyril Salter solid shaving soap (tallow)

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

Re: Cyril Salter solid shaving soap (tallow)

Post by brothers »

Teiste wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:34 pm Gary , if you have an extra puck of this soap and want to trade it , let me know.
Teiste, sorry to say I don't have any. Maybe someone else on SMF can take you up on a trade. Good luck !
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

In honor of the 40th shave on this 70g puck, I've shredded and pressed it into a push-up tube. The wooden bowl wasn't working out well for me. The puck was loose and sliding around. The tube is going to be very practical. I rough-guess it has about 40 to 50 shaves left. For your viewing pleasure, I present the following ---
Salter's Solid Shaving Soap tube.jpg
Salter's Solid Shaving Soap tube.jpg (588.11 KiB) Viewed 6658 times
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

19 thumbs up! :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Janus

Post by Janus »

I finally got around trying this new tallow based soap and I'm sad to say this is and odd one for me. It's fine for the first few latherings but as the puck wears down a bit, it becomes increasingly hard to load up and the resulting lather is nowhere near as good. A bad puck, I thought, tried another one (I got a few) and it was just like the first one. Good at first but very hard to lather after it's seen some use. How could this be, I was puzzled. I still have no answer but I seem to remember Dr Chris having had a similar experience with the now extinct Wood of Windsor soap. Very strange indeed.
Janus
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

Have you tried rubbing the puck directly on your stubble as if using a stick? That technique works well for me with other soaps.

Also, suggest PM to user "Brothers" who uses Salter pucks successfully.
Janus

Post by Janus »

Slack, thank you for the suggestion but I think I'm going to use them up as hand soap. I much prefer pucks over sticks. Besides, I have what you might call an 'ample' stock of soaps that perform better for me (old tallow AOS, Tabac, Valobra, DRH, Cella, MdC etc. etc).
Janus
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

I think I got hold of my first puck of this stuff in early 2018. I really liked it and used it often during that year, and I also bought up a few Harris pucks with the same formulation. I kind of fell off of it for a while due to using Palmolive sticks, Martin de Candre (the fougere is divine), and a few creams in regular rotation. Recently, however, I've taken up with the Salter puck again.

This is great soap. I think previously I wrote that Valobra sticks are better than this soap, and I'd disagree with me now. They're different, but I can and do get as good a lather with this as any other soap I use. Moreover, the hard soap puck format is my preferred lather source, and I think this scent is about as perfect as it can be.

The 100g format seems to come and go from retailers, but 70g pucks are usually available, and if you like this formulation but not the scent, the current Harris pucks still seem to be the same formula. Wonderful soap.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Tim, is this the same formula that started out with the introduction of the 'Marlborough' range? I dislike that scent, but find the soap outperforms the old D R Harris pucks that preceded it.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Chris, I'm not sure which of their line it started with. Possibly Marlborough. My puck of Marlborough is in this version. The current/great formulation has Sodium Tallowate as the first ingredient, followed promptly by Potassium Stearate and then Sodium Stearate. It's the best Harris soap I've ever used, and I've used at least four or five different formulations since 2008.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Harris Almond with the same ingredients list today. I used a 3-band silvertip with it, and I believe no better match can be found between software and hardware. Simply stunning lather.
Regards,
Tim

Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

Due to positive reviews here, I ordered Cyril Salter solid shaving soap today. And Cyril R Salter Shaving Cream Jar 165g (Sublime Citrus)
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Roger, I hope you're pleased with both. I've no experience with their soap but I do with their creams. I love their French Vetiver cream and it is a top notch cream for me.

Enjoy!

Chris
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

Chris,

Thanks for your brief "review." I'll give an update after I have tried them.

Regards,
Roger

desmoface

Post by desmoface »

Still waiting for mine to show up :-)

Really looking forward to trying this one. I stocked up on my grail, which up till now has been Tabac, but the new formulation lights my face up like a Xmas tree. So, I'm hoping this will be a suitable replacement.
Screenshot 2023-01-27 at 5.38.08 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-01-27 at 5.38.08 PM.png (60.95 KiB) Viewed 1579 times
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Hope you guys got your soaps. Would love to read a review.

Seems like it's out of stock here in the Colonies for the moment.

Chris
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

My puck and cream came from Connaught last week. I have not tried either yet but will soon.
Roger

Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

it costs less to get the tub of cream from Connaught with shipping to the U.S. than from Amazon!
Roger

desmoface

Post by desmoface »

The only downside of ordering from Connaught is it takes a long time to get stuff in the US. I ordered my soap on 1/16, got my notification that it shipped on 2/6, and as of today, I am still waiting for delivery. Hopefully the soap is worth the wait. :D
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

desmoface wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:37 pm The only downside of ordering from Connaught is it takes a long time to get stuff in the US. I ordered my soap on 1/16, got my notification that it shipped on 2/6, and as of today, I am still waiting for delivery. Hopefully the soap is worth the wait. :D
I hope it's worth the wait too!

Chris
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

desmoface wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:37 pm The only downside of ordering from Connaught is it takes a long time to get stuff in the US. I ordered my soap on 1/16, got my notification that it shipped on 2/6, and as of today, I am still waiting for delivery. Hopefully the soap is worth the wait. :D
If it doesn't show up, let me know via PM. I can send you one.

Tim
Regards,
Tim