Blending a cologne sample with soap?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
With The Grain
Gillette Aficionado

Blending a cologne sample with soap?

Post by With The Grain »

I've got a cake of Col conk lime and a sample of T&H west indes limes cologne and the soap doesnt strike me as very strong and i dont really like the T&H limes as a cologne. could i melt down the soap and add some or all of the cologne to boost the scent of the soap?
Coche_y_bondhu
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Coche_y_bondhu »

James,

I tried this once, adding cologne to cream. Doesn't work. Colognes were developed to work on skin. I think essential oils added to cream or soap would work better. I am not an expert with blending essential oils so I have to defer to others.

Cheers,
Richard
Plano TX
With The Grain
Gillette Aficionado

Post by With The Grain »

did it effect the performance of the soap or was there just no real change in scent?

being that the conk soaps are cheap and the sample of cologne was free i have no issue experimenting but if it's going to ruin the soap i might think twice
Coche_y_bondhu
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Coche_y_bondhu »

James,

I sprayed the cologne on the cream lather in the bowl and the cream melted down like the Wicked Witch of the West in the Wizard of Oz :shock: !

And there was no discernible scent either. I still think you need to use essential oils not actual cologne.

Blending of fragrances, especially in creams and soaps, is not easy. Improper use of essential oils can also cause skin irritation. Some soaps are not conducive to melting; their entire chemistry is changed.

Randy in Salt Lake City is one of our experts on melting soaps; maybe he has tried your proposed experiment.

Cheers,
Richard
Plano TX
With The Grain
Gillette Aficionado

Post by With The Grain »

i decided to try it, at worst im out a 4 bucks. the soap is still hardening from when i melted it and added some of the cologne, it's not back to total "hard" status but i can smell a difference in it so it did take on some of the colognes scent. i still havent a clue if i've effected the lathering ability though. ill give that a go tomorrow some time.