Harris soap reformulation

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

Harris soap reformulation

Post by brothers »

The new formula DRH soap now lists tallowate as the first ingredient, just as does Salters new formula. Evidently these two soaps now share identical top 9 ingredients.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
woodsrider

Re: Harris soap reformulation

Post by woodsrider »

I’m curious what the differences are between the prior formulation and the new formulation. The previous formulation has always been a strong performer....have you tried the new version yet, Gary?
Lynn
nav

Post by nav »

woodsrider wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:10 pm I’m curious what the differences are between the prior formulation and the new formulation. The previous formulation has always been a strong performer....have you tried the new version yet, Gary?
I have two Windsor pucks, one old, one new.
There's no discernable difference between the two, either in performance nor in scent.
Both AWESOME!!
nav

Post by nav »

brothers wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:26 pm The new formula DRH soap now lists tallowate as the first ingredient, just as does Salters new formula. Evidently these two soaps now share identical top 9 ingredients.
Now that's very interesting!

Now if only trumpers would use the same manufacturer for their shaving soaps...that would be heaven!

I'm still to find a soap that can match trumpers rose, violet and coconut scents.
I hated the lime though...bathroom cleaner!
brothers

Post by brothers »

I am hoping that the new formula will perform as well as the new Salter's.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Let's hope this is a trend in the right direction for all the top tier soaps.

Chris
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

Had me worried for a minute. DRH is one of my favorite soaps, always on my to-buy list. I'm firmly in the tallow camp.
Ed
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

Be still my heart! Blood pressure needs to revert to normal.

I feared that Gary was going to announce that DRH reformulated for the worse, even (shudder the thought) removing tallow. That would be absolutely terrible.

Glad to see I was wrong. Whew!! :D
brothers

Post by brothers »

woodsrider wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:10 pm I’m curious what the differences are between the prior formulation and the new formulation. The previous formulation has always been a strong performer....have you tried the new version yet, Gary?
Lynn, I sent you a PM
Gary

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

So long as the integrity of the performance of the lather is unscathed, they could use egg white for all I care. However - don't mess with my WoolFat -- that concoction has been around for 120 years.

8)
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
LouisIII

Post by LouisIII »

nav wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:44 pm
brothers wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:26 pm The new formula DRH soap now lists tallowate as the first ingredient, just as does Salters new formula. Evidently these two soaps now share identical top 9 ingredients.
Now that's very interesting!

Now if only trumpers would use the same manufacturer for their shaving soaps...that would be heaven!

I'm still to find a soap that can match trumpers rose, violet and coconut scents.
I hated the lime though...bathroom cleaner!
I emailed this to trumpers, fingers crossed somebody there cares about their customers, though I'm not hopeful.
~ Infusing the irreducibly quotidian with sensual pleasure ~
chris1978

Post by chris1978 »

I found the lists of ingredients of D.R. Harris shaving soap and Cyril R Salter shavingbsoap in old and new. Check it out. ChrisA
Attachments
5AA24228-3990-4BA7-9565-F31082DD04C1.jpeg
5AA24228-3990-4BA7-9565-F31082DD04C1.jpeg (765.93 KiB) Viewed 12817 times
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Looks like Harris got rid of the Almond oil?

Chris
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

That new Harris formulation listing appears to be for the Arlington (Farnesol is in the fragrance blend for that). The almond still has prunus dulcis.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

So, can anyone give a brief review of any scents of the "new" Harris soap? I usually buy Lavender for my wife because she really likes it, but I'm not sure which formula she has.
Thanks
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

While I haven't used the new formulation lavender, the sandalwood, Marlborough, Arlington, and almond are all unchanged from their classic scent profiles. I'd expect lavender is the same.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

TRBeck wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:05 pm While I haven't used the new formulation lavender, the sandalwood, Marlborough, Arlington, and almond are all unchanged from their classic scent profiles. I'd expect lavender is the same.
Thanks, Tim,
How about the performance?
Best,
Roger

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Roger, for my money, this is the best Harris formulation that I've used. I think I've probably had 5-6 versions of Harris soap over the years, all with tallow, and this one is my favorite. Superb soap.
Regards,
Tim

Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

TRBeck wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:02 pm Roger, for my money, this is the best Harris formulation that I've used. I think I've probably had 5-6 versions of Harris soap over the years, all with tallow, and this one is my favorite. Superb soap.
Thanks, Tim. That was what I needed to know.
Roger

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

a question from the cheap seats: how do you know what formulation you are buying when placing an order?

thanks

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum