Advice for starting a new cake of vintage soap

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
EL Alamein

Advice for starting a new cake of vintage soap

Post by EL Alamein »

As many of you know I use the old formula of Taylor's English Lavender shaving soap.

These cakes are old, how old I don't rightly know. But one thing I've come to notice over the years is that when starting a new cake of it the lather can be hard to coax.

About three days ago I started a new cake which gave me inspiration for writing this post as I've had this happen the last few years. As many guys buy vintage stuff it may be helpful.

I don't know what it is but it can sometimes seem like the new cake is not lathering at all. The soap doesn't seem to be giving up any lather even with many swirls or with much time.

The trick here is to keep going. Keep the bowl of soap over a dish or mug as you're lathering to capture the water running off. Having the bowl vertical helps. Keep dipping the tips of your brush in that runoff water and lathering until you get sufficient lather.

Now the first few shaves may not be stellar but they will be good. Then it will seem that a breakthrough has suddenly occurred and the lather will be as it should, very sublime, slick, and protective.

Now this may be a thing with the old Taylor's alone as it seems to have been (and may still be) one of the hardest cakes of soap. Even years ago it was considered very hard. But this may help others with vintage cakes as I have read of reports of them starting out as being hard to lather.

Hope that helps someone.

Chris
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Re: Advice for starting a new cake of vintage soap

Post by fallingwickets »

you have the patience of a saint. I'd be " @&*#^#% this pos antique nonsense @*#*(#&)!^ what was i even thinking %@^@*!@(#^&" and throw it out or put it in at the very back of the closet HAHAHAHA

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

I use many vintage soaps, and I have found that when starting one, it helps if I cover the puck with warm water and let it soak for15-20 minutes before trying to build the first lather.
_______
John
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Good information from Chris and John. Thanks to you both!

I've never bought vintage soap, so this has never been and issue for me. It's worth keeping in mind, however, in case I ever do.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Old soaps that may be reluctant to lather usually are revitalized by grating and re-packing into a bowl before use.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

brothers wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:18 pm Old soaps that may be reluctant to lather usually are revitalized by grating and re-packing into a bowl before use.
I do this with all of my soaps to fit them into a one-cup Pyrex bowl. I think grating up the soap and re-packing it in this fashion makes any soap easier to lather, not to mention vintage cakes thereof.

- Murray
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

brothers wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:18 pm Old soaps that may be reluctant to lather usually are revitalized by grating and re-packing into a bowl before use.
I have found, unfortunately, that this process seems to cause old soaps to lose their fragrance faster.
_______
John
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

churchilllafemme wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:52 pm
I have found, unfortunately, that this process seems to cause old soaps to lose their fragrance faster.
This would make sense, John. Since I have a problem with most fragrances, this is not an undesirable side-effect (for me).

- Murray
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

Thanks for the tips! I just received the C&E "For Men" in the wooden box and I'm waiting for a NOS Yardley shaving soap and a Trumper's Sandalwood in tallow (which I need a bowl to, check S&T) ! ;)
Olle
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

id gladly send you one but by the time you're done paying for shipping you might just as well buy a cup or bowl for the puck....english tea cups work perfectly :D :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

fallingwickets wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:18 am id gladly send you one but by the time you're done paying for shipping you might just as well buy a cup or bowl for the puck....english tea cups work perfectly :D :D :D

clive
You think? How much would the shipping be (the cheapest) you think? I doubt that its as high as a totally new wooden box with soap but maybe I'm wrong! :wink:
Olle
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

This thread turns out to be not only helpful but also inspirational.

It's been years since I bought any vintage soap - some old Colgate and vintage Ralph Lauren Safari soap - but I took to the auction site this week and picked up a couple. I have more soap than I'll ever use, and I mostly use my own homemade soaps anyway, but I always love trying new stuff, especially new old stuff. Chris's post got me thinking about the tallowy soaps of yore that I've never tried. I bought two that I think are well-regarded, although I passed on the highest priced items. These are certainly the oldest lathering products I've ever bought, and I will take all of the information here under advisement when they arrive.

Thanks, Chris, John, et al. for your insights about getting the most out of these classic cakes of soap. I'll report back when I receive them next week.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Tim, I'm interested to learn of how you fair.

One caveat to what I posted that I've observed is the old vintage Yardley soap. I've never experienced this issue with them, no matter how old as long as they were unused.

This what lead me to say that it may be an issue with the old Taylor's given how hard it is. Maybe just a skin that forms with some soaps? Who knows but hopefully your observations will help shed some light.

Chris
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I wonder if the surface layer of old soaps oxidizes and that one has to get through that to get to functional soap.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

I am happy that the recently unwrapped old cake of English Fern didn't involve any poor lathering propensities. Maybe it wasn't old enough yet.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

Try using the same soap exclusively day after day, and not letting it dry out.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

John Rose wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:41 pm Try using the same soap exclusively day after day, and not letting it dry out.
John, this post was exclusively about starting a new cake, not using one on and off or through a rotation.

I normally use Taylor's daily.

Chris
primotenore

Post by primotenore »

This: (I have used this technique 4x with and without menthol) It has NEVER disappointed.
https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/ ... ect.45842/
~~~~~
Primo

Shaving since 1971, enjoying my shaves since 2014
Ah, che bel vivere, che bel piacere per un barbiere di qualità... =D>