boars for soaps, synthetic/badger for cream?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
FireDragon76

boars for soaps, synthetic/badger for cream?

Post by FireDragon76 »

It does seem to be working that way in my experience, as a general rule.
Bill_K

Re: boars for soaps, synthetic/badger for cream?

Post by Bill_K »

This is purely subjective and likely for more nostalgic reasons than anything else, but when I use my straight razor on the weekends I always use a badger or boar brush with either Tabac or Haslinger soaps. During the week when I'm rushed for time I use my DE and whatever brush/soap combination happens to strike my fancy that day.
Bill
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

When I was using a cabinet full of products I paid no attention to any of that whether it was triple milled soap or a cream from out of a pump. Now that I use my products exclusively I still pay no attention to any of that, I use the brush of the day, in the rotation when it comes up with my tub soaps.

I have no idea how that got started but IMO it's nonsense.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

It's a peculiar fact that after I started using synthetics I've lost the ability to build a successful lather with my boar brushes - soap or cream. Badgers still work as well as ever. It beats me! I kept 3 boars for sentimental reasons.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Teiste

Post by Teiste »

With the great synthetic brushes out there , I would say that synthetic for triple milled soaps , croaps , shaving sticks and creams.But badger and boar great fantastic too, specially shavemac silvertip two band and tree band badger hair brushes and Semogue 1350 and 1800 boar brushes.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I use soaps exclusively and my method has changed from
(1) loading the brush and lathering in a separate bowl to
(2) lathering on top of the cake of soap.
I have happily used badger, boar, and synthetics.

When I was lathering in a separate bowl, I preferred my Semogue silvertips, though I also liked Semogue boar (1305 and 830, with the grade of bristle unique to these two brushes).

Since I started lathering on top of the cake of soap, however, I get the best results from my Semogue 1305 boar. The 830, slightly denser, is about the same.

I still occasionally use a badger or synthetic brush, but I would be perfectly happy just to use a Semogue 1305 from here on out. I find the 1305 to be unique even among boar brushes.

- Murray
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

I tend to use synthetics for harder soaps and croaps because I imagine that they can take more abuse than naturals.
By abuse I mean twisting and mashing the knot into the soap to charge it.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

John Rose wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:25 pm I tend to use synthetics for harder soaps and croaps because I imagine that they can take more abuse than naturals.
By abuse I mean twisting and mashing the knot into the soap to charge it.
John, there may be undetermined factors at work to differentiate your experience from mine, but I have used pure badger, silvertip, boar, and synthetic brushes with soaps (both hard and soft), with no need for extreme measures. All have loaded effectively without twisting, mashing, or otherwise forcing them.

- Murray

Edit: I just noticed in your SOTD that you are using Williams soap, which very well might require more extreme measures to load a brush than the soaps I use.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I read that also and it didn't click initially. Or maybe I thought it was being overly dramatic.

Like Murray I just use a gentle swirling motion, no extreme moves that abuse the brush.

John, if what you write is accurately represented by the description, have you tried blooming the Williams? I'm not an expert, but Youtube might be a help here (I don't know that). What little I think I know is that one leaves some water on the puck for a time. I could be wrong about that as well. Anyway, I've run across references to blooming on various forums and that's what I think I gleaned.

FWIW, I went to Youtube and did a search for "blooming williams shave soap" and found all sorts of videos that I didn't have time to watch.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

ShadowsDad wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:54 am Like Murray I just use a gentle swirling motion, no extreme moves that abuse the brush.

John, if what you write is accurately represented by the description, have you tried blooming the Williams? I'm not an expert, but Youtube might be a help here (I don't know that). What little I think I know is that one leaves some water on the puck for a time. I could be wrong about that as well. Anyway, I've run across references to blooming on various forums and that's what I think I gleaned.
Well, I was partly kidding about the brush abuse, when in a rush. I still think it's true that synthetics can take more abuse, not that one should abuse them.
From https://www.simpsonshavingbrushes.com/h ... ving-tips/ :
Simpsons wrote:When shaving try using paint brush back & forth strokes for lather building rather than circular 'mashing' motions which tend to put additional stress and pressure on the bristles. Excessive force can snap or dislodge bristles from their glue bond. Never leave your brush to soak in water at a temperature higher than your skin would withstand.
Following that advice, one might even be reluctant to use "a gentle swirling motion", but I'm pretty sure they mean something more violent.
Even so, "back and forth" seems very awkward unless you have a wide puck.
What's not clear is whether they're talking about charging the brush from a puck or building the lather in a bowl (which requires no pressure). Or maybe both?

As far as blooming goes, yes I'm a big fan of it. Typically it involves pouring hot tap water on the puck, and taking a prep shower while it's blooming. That's plenty of time, especially if it's not allowed to dry out between uses.
Even Proraso croaps could benefit from a few drops of water in advance.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex