Creams or Soaps

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
jbcohen

Creams or Soaps

Post by jbcohen »

Which do you chose and why? Which online store has the best prices on soaps and creams? Which online store has the best selection of creams and soaps? :?:
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Re: Creams or Soaps

Post by fallingwickets »

Welcome to smf!

Best prices, best selection is hard to give an answer about because no one website has it all. Im a fan of bullgoose shaving. I dont know if they have best prices, they certainly dont carry everything I use, but I like the owner, he's somewhat active on smf, and most of all the service meets my approval and so when i want something shaving related i start there. There are several long time vendors that have similar customers to me that are here on smf and Im sure they'll all say the same thing about their favourite store. All this to say, go out into the www and find your own fav. its a fun journey :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
jbcohen

Post by jbcohen »

I'm actually not new at all I have been here for five years, I had my account deleted.

What brand makes the best quality soap, not necessarily the cheapest?
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome to SMF, jbcohen!

I prefer soaps to creams in concept, for purely subjective reasons.

As to which soap is best, it will depend upon who you talk to. As with blades and everything else related to shaving, what one of us likes, the next one hates.

I generally prefer Italian soaps, my favorite being Valobra hard soap. I also like any number of artisan soaps, especially those that offer scenting with essential oils, as I am very sensitive to fragrance. I like Mike's Natural Soaps and a member here, Tim/TRBeck, used to make and sell some especially good soaps, also.

I avoid soaps with fragrance, so that rules out almost everything British.

Regarding vendors, we have a number of good ones. I buy according to availability more than actual prices.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

There are a lot of good vendors out there, same goes for the products, soap, cream, or otherwise. Over the years I've experienced a lot of pleasant time browsing and comparing them. Of course, I've bought a lot of stuff. This is one of those things that are best done on an individual basis. I will say a great many of them are hard working, honest, and knowledgeable, and they are very serious when it comes to providing good advice and excellent customer service.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

For a long time I favoured soaps over creams, but more recently the ratio has become much more balanced.
Part of the reason is that I currently use more Portuguese and Spanish shaving products, the majority of which is available only as shaving cream.
(Before anyone mentions it; I consider shaving sticks like La Toja a travel solution more than a solution that I use at home.)
In my opinion, one would be ill-advised to rule out one product just because it is only sold as a cream.

Regarding the best place to purchase shaving products; that question depends on the location where one lives. What can be found in local drugstores (my preferred solution) in one part of the world would need to be ordered through the Internet elsewhere. Generally, I prefer smaller (e.g. family owned) drugstores/sellers over the larger drugstore chains or the Internet giants, as the larger companies tend to create a local mono-culture that starves smaller competitors out of business. But of course, price plays a role too, and I am prepared to go only so far.

To answer your questions in a nutshell; shaving soap or cream depends on the particular product and not on the form in which it is sold, the source where I buy from depends on the location where I am at.

Hope that helps...

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell