Trumpers Sandalwood

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
JackieMartling

Trumpers Sandalwood

Post by JackieMartling »

I have been testing a sample of Trumpers Sandalwood cologne the past few days, and I have to say I'm growing pretty fond of it. My question is, how does the scent in Trumpers Sandalwood cream compare? Is it the same? How do other brands of cream compare, say Taylors Sandalwood?

Also, for people who have tried it, how is the AOS Sandalwood cologne? I saw a thread a while back that said it was bollocks, but I have yet to see any other reviews of it. One of these days I'm going to make my way over to my local AOS seller and check it out.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Nathan (?), The Trumper Sandalwood cologne is a complex blend of notes, and hence, is quite different then the shave cream, which is a relatively straight sandalwood scent. The Taylor's sandalwood is quite different yet again. With the Taylors, the cream and the cologne DO smell similiar ( as the cream is scented with the cologne ), but it is a very different style scent then the Trumper's cologne. The Trumpers is a rich, more 'sensuous', almost 'oriental' scent, while the Taylors is a 'cleaner', somewhat lighter or drier scent. The AOS cologne, I did not care for. But check it out, your reaction may be quite different. Regards, Gordon
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

That's good to know, Gordon. I agree, the Trumpers sandalwood cologne is quite complex. According to its description, there is lavender in the mix, so lavender creams don't seem to work against it at all. Indeed, the AOS lavender complements it quite well.

I read on WetShavers where someone said the AOS and Trumpers sandalwood creams smelled almost identical to each other. If that's the case, then it would make sense that Trumpers is a straight-up wood scent, since AOS uses only essential oil to scent theirs. I haven't used either, but I've had a chance to smell AOS in person.

~ Nathan (Yeah, I'm trying to get in the habit of signing these things now. Everybody is so personable, I feel like a jerk using only a screen name.)
ARenaissanceMan

Post by ARenaissanceMan »

Speaking of AOS, is it odd that I find their sandalwood cream to be foul smelling and their cologne to be quite nice?
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

I have sampled the AOS Sandalwood cologne. I found it to be too strong for everyday use. It would probably be ok for evening wear. It will announce that you have arrived.
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Clark,

Actually I would not find that odd at all. Although I have used neither, I do know how AOS formulates their creams, which is to say they do not use any fragrances in them at all. Their scenting comes from pure essential oils, which, while nice, are not enough to fully mask the base product smell. I personally do not find the base cream to be "foul" smelling, but I can see why some people would. Their sandalwood cologne, on the other hand, is a formulated fragrance. Their website claims it is formulated with essential oil, but I am sure it is designed to be much more "fragrant" than that, so that it would smell very different from their cream. It sounds very similar to the situation Gordon outlined with the Trumpers cream and cologne.

Austin, that's good to know. I will keep that in mind when I finally get around to sampling it.

~ Nathan