I decided to buy some new shaving creams

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
jaybee

I decided to buy some new shaving creams

Post by jaybee »

Decided to buy some new shaving creams. Went for some soap, too. Got caught up in the moment and got some aftershave as well.

Ended up spending over $200. I fear this is a very bad sign.
dcdube

Post by dcdube »

Bad may be relative, but it's probably safe to say we don't think it's bad. Most of us have OCC disorders in the form of scad and rad and some sbad. The real question is, what did you get?
Dennis
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Re: I decided to buy some new shaving creams

Post by rtaylor61 »

jaybee wrote:Decided to buy some new shaving creams. Went for some soap, too. Got caught up in the moment and got some aftershave as well.

We are waiting for the list!

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bad sign, yes definately....very bad. You're beginning to move down that slippery slope at increasing speed. Like certain other similiar conditions, SCAD has a nasty tendency to be progressive. We had one poor member, who found himself evicted from his apt. for failure to pay his rent ( as he had no money left for that ), and who wound up sitting on the stoop with supermarket brown bags full of high end shaving supplies, and no where to use them.
Condolences,
Gordon
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

jaybee wrote:Decided to buy some new shaving creams. Went for some soap, too. Got caught up in the moment and got some aftershave as well.

Still waiting - the list man! Just how slippery was your soap er...slope?
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
din

Post by din »

blueasajewel wrote:
Still waiting - the list man! Just how slippery was your soap er...slope?
that depends on the glycerin content, no?
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

Sorry I've been away for a few days. I didn't post the list because it's not really anything special -- it really was more the fact that I couldn't believe the very high bill when I was done.

Anyway, so far I've just been using some crappy $2.99 soap I bought at the drugstore and an old alcohol-based aftershave I had in my cabinet. So needless to say I will be very excited to get this stuff.

I bought:

Taylor's Avocado
Taylor's Lemon/Lime
Proraso (green)
Cremo-Cream
Musgo Real
Em's Skindicinal Aftershave Balm
Trumper's Coral Skinfood
Trumper's Limes Skinfood
Nancy Boy's entire product line (oil, shaving cream, after-shave)

I think that's it but I may have missed something.
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

Oh I forgot also a few classic shaving soaps...
marc722

Post by marc722 »

Congratulations jaybee. You're able to achieve something that I had not dared to do. Getting everything all at once =D> . I've been trying to spread out my purchasing whether in a matter of days or weeks so that it would not seem too much and avoid being killed by my wife :wink: I've only been wetshaving for less than a month and these are some of my purchases:

Art of Shaving Lavender Soap
Saint Charles Savory Rose Soap
Saint Charles Citrus Pie Soap
Saint Charles Citrus Basil Soap
Trumper Rose Soap
Coate’s Rose Cream
Taylor Rose Cream
Castle Forbes Lavender Cream
Art of Shaving Unscented Aftershave Balm
DR Harris Aftershave Milk
Trumper Coral Skin Food
Trumper Limes Skin Food

And we're not even talking about razors and brushes :twisted: I'm afraid there's no turning back now.

Marc
khari

Post by khari »

Fan of the floral scents, aren't we Marc? I have a few of them myself...
marc722

Post by marc722 »

Yeah, it's my goal to try all of the rose scents on the market. While variety is nice it's also not so bad to specialize in something :wink:

Marc
DEF

Post by DEF »

That Taylor Rose cream is DA BOMB! I bought a tub this week as my first real foray into the world of old-style, "3T" creams. The volume and richness of the lather amazed me, and the fragrance is incredible. I think my next purchases are Trumper Violet, Taylor Lime, and Taylor Shaving Shop.

On the hard soap side of the aisle, I highly recommend Crabtree & Evelyn's Sweet Almond Oil soap and Sandalwood soap. These offer great fragrance and robust lather. If you haven't tried a C&E product, you owe it to yourself. They're a great value. (I've been less impressed with the Nomad cream I bought from them.)

Really, aside from the creams already mentioned, the only other products I'm interested in trying right now are AOS Lemon soap, Revivage, and maybe that Arko everyone is talking about.
Doug
marc722

Post by marc722 »

Doug, I agree with you about the Taylor Rose. After receiving some samples that alchemist was kind enough to send me I decided to purchase a tube of Taylor Rose. It was incredibly fragrant and lathers up quite easily. My next task at hand will be to compare it to the roses from Trumper and Truefitt & Hill.

I've heard a lot of good things about C&E. I think it's about time I try some of their stuff too.

Marc
DEF

Post by DEF »

Marc --

I've got an extra unopened cake of the C&E almond I'll send you. It's a "mug size" 50g, so just a bit smaller than the other refills. This will let me return the favor of the St. Charles Bay Rum you sent me!

I can recommend the C&E Sandalwood and Sienna soaps as well. I'd advise you try to get sample tubes before buying their creams, however. To me, the Nomad cream is too strongly fragranced, and it seems to leave some kind of residue on my brush.

Let me know how the great rose cream shoot-out goes. It's hard for me to imagine a better rose than Taylors -- especially given the pricing differences.
Doug
PottyDoctor

Post by PottyDoctor »

Attn Rose Lovers,

Check this deal out at Knox Cigar. Coates Rose for $10 a tub, normally $28. Yes, it is old stock and somewhat dehydrated, but will work great by adding a little water and stirring with a spoon or miniature whisk.

Here's the link. http://www.knoxcigar.com/corocl.html

I just bought 2 tubs at their previous sale price of $19.60 and the rose scent is wonderful and it is a great shave cream.

Happy Shaving,

Ron
Happy Shaving,

Ron

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. It's the way you deal with it that makes the difference!" -- Virginia Satir
marc722

Post by marc722 »

Thanks Doug I really appreciate it. I just went to the C&E website to look at their product line. Can I ask what the Sienna is like? Did you have a chance to try Sue's almond? I'm curious to see how the two would compare. But in any case, this will be my first almond product. You have PM.

Ron, I did take advantage of the Coate's deal and got myself a tub of the rose. The fact that it was old stock didn't seem to make much of a difference. It lathers up perfectly. I just didn't like the fact that the scent was a bit on the subtle side. Other than that, I do agree that it's a great cream.

Marc
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

marc722 wrote:Thanks Doug I really appreciate it. I just went to the C&E website to look at their product line. Can I ask what the Sienna is like? Did you have a chance to try Sue's almond? I'm curious to see how the two would compare. But in any case, this will be my first almond product. You have PM.

Ron, I did take advantage of the Coate's deal and got myself a tub of the rose. The fact that it was old stock didn't seem to make much of a difference. It lathers up perfectly. I just didn't like the fact that the scent was a bit on the subtle side. Other than that, I do agree that it's a great cream.

Marc
To me, Sienna has a leathery overtone. Some have described it as a spiffed up Polo. I like it alot
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

jaybee wrote:Sorry I've been away for a few days. I didn't post the list because it's not really anything special -- it really was more the fact that I couldn't believe the very high bill when I was done.

Anyway, so far I've just been using some crappy $2.99 soap I bought at the drugstore and an old alcohol-based aftershave I had in my cabinet. So needless to say I will be very excited to get this stuff.

I bought:

Taylor's Avocado
Taylor's Lemon/Lime
Proraso (green)
Cremo-Cream
Musgo Real
Em's Skindicinal Aftershave Balm
Trumper's Coral Skinfood
Trumper's Limes Skinfood
Nancy Boy's entire product line (oil, shaving cream, after-shave)

I think that's it but I may have missed something.
Okay -- I've just realized I made a HUGE rookie mistake: I bought the big tubs!

I thought at first getting bigger sizes would be a better value. But now, even though I like everything I got: I WANT TO TRY NEW THINGS! And it's going to be FOREVER before I run out of the stuff I have and need to get more.

Advice to anyone new: buy small sizes! It's not that much more expensive, and you'll be able to try a lot more different things that way.
Maynard

Post by Maynard »

jaybee wrote: Okay -- I've just realized I made a HUGE rookie mistake: I bought the big tubs!

I thought at first getting bigger sizes would be a better value. But now, even though I like everything I got: I WANT TO TRY NEW THINGS! And it's going to be FOREVER before I run out of the stuff I have and need to get more.

Advice to anyone new: buy small sizes! It's not that much more expensive, and you'll be able to try a lot more different things that way.
A word of reassurance: you don't need to run out of you've got before getting more. Heck, if we all did that, places like QED, TGS, and Classic Shaving would probably go out of business... so do your part and help the economy with a few more purchases! It's about wants--not about needs... :D

Maynard
khari

Post by khari »

Jaybee,
I recently did the same thing. I now have 11 tubs and 3 tubes of cream, most of it purchased within the last month.
Coates Rose
Coates Lime
Coates Sandalwood
Coates Tea Tree
Nancy Boy
Proraso Green
Taylor Lavender
Taylor Rose
Taylor Eton College
Taylor Mr. Taylor
Taylor Shave Shop
Taylor Avocado
T & H 1805
T & H Ultimate Comfort

You can always trade some of it away after you're done trying them as a means of justifying new purchases!