Any Vetiver shaving creams or soaps

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
dcdube

Any Vetiver shaving creams or soaps

Post by dcdube »

I know there are many great colognes, but from what I've found, no creams or soaps. I know that Salter used to have one, but I didn't get my hands on any. Are there any other's that you guys know of?

If anyone picked up an extra tub or two of the Salter and you may be willing to part with it, give me a pm.
Dennis
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Dennis, Not only Salter, but, you'll be chagrined to learn, Arran Aromatics, of Scotland also made a Vetiver shave cream. It came in pots and was every bit as good as the Taylor's creams, which it much resembled. Those too, are no more. There is an outside chance that that cream may still be available in tubes, ordered from the UK. Unfortunately, I can't tell you exactly where to look, but if you do find some, I wouldn't hesitate to order it, as the potted version was a truly top shelf shave cream. Those are the only two Vetiver shave creams of which I am aware. Hope something turns up for you.
Regards,
Gordon
mark the shoeshine boy

Post by mark the shoeshine boy »

i got my salter a year ago from qed...haven't seen any for sale since...

what a shame

mark tssb
SHAVE AND A HAIRCUT...WAIT A SECOND WHAT ABOUT A SHOESHINE, TOO ????
dcdube

Post by dcdube »

Thanks Gordon, I checked out some web sites and sent some emails to see if they have any of the Arran cream.
Dennis
marc722

Post by marc722 »

Aside from the ones already mentioned I don't know of any other Vetiver creams. But if you want something with a greenish scent you might want to try Saint Charles's new Shamrock soap. I haven't tried it yet but I've read a couple of good review from the guys at this forum.

Marc

Please Note:

I had not learned about Sue's tragic loss when I made this original post. It seems like Sue will not be conduct business for a couple of weeks. I apologize for any problems I might have caused. I just felt terrible after reading Tony's news. Sue, you have my sincerest condolences.

Marc
bbqncigars

Post by bbqncigars »

Try ebay under 'shave soap'. I got some a while back that has a nice scent, but otherwise a typical glycerin shave soap. Sorry, but I don't recall the particular seller.

Wayne
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant
JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

Here's one that worked for me-
go to Michaels, or whatever craft store you have in your area, and look for their melt and pour glycerine soap-I had great results with the white soap in trays that says coconut oil enriched or some such.
Then, go to the local Henry's or health food store of your choice, buy a bottle of vetiver essential oil (I think mine was about 5 buck-but its been awhile)
nuke the soap into an old surrey mold, or use the mug you are going to shave with-
while its still liquid, stir in some of the vetiver EO.
I made some AWESOME lime soap for myself using this method (I also added a couple drops castor oil for good measure, but don't know if its required)
If you are dead set on creams, look at TJ Maxx. Religiously.
I have seen Arran Aromatics vetiver in tubes there, but only as part of a gift set, and often mixed in with the women's section of body butters and other fru-fru type stuff like that.
Mine was 12 bucks, had the shave cream, a body wash, some wax (for your hair?) a solid shampoo bar, a face scrub and a bar of soap. I think it was blue or gray packaging.
John P.
BRG

Post by BRG »

Dennis, how close to Philadelphia are you? I may have a tub of the Arran cream. I will look.

Barry
dcdube

Post by dcdube »

I'm out of town right now, but I live about 45 minutes north of center city in Telford.
Dennis