Vulfix Sandalwood Cream

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

Wow very surprising Chris. I am expecting a delivery of these creams any day now. I ordered both Sandalwood and Lavendar. I'll be sure to post my findings as well. It will be interesting to see if the performance varies by batches. Crossing my fingers...

Vince
:::Vince:::
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

Most disappointing. I was looking forward to trying these at some point. Looks like I'll pass though....
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

I agree with Chris. These creams are somewhat disappointing. I found the efficacy to be mediocre and the scent to be very synthetic.

Chris
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, et.al., Interesting, and a little surprising. The one other 'review' of the Vulfix creams that I've seen was by someone very experianced with top shelf shave products. Although he didn't think much of the scents, he seemed to feel that the creams were, more or less, on a par with some of the other premium English creams. Yet your experiance has been much more negative. I'm almost tempted to get a pot just to see how it seems to me. But if my take comes up more like yours, it would be a bummer. I already have so much stuff around, a pot of cream I didn't like, I don't need. I think I'll just sit back and read what others have to say about this one. Regards, Gordon
ARenaissanceMan

Post by ARenaissanceMan »

Finally a review. Thanks Chris. Saved me good money. On to the QED soaps.
northadams
Mad Max

Vulfix

Post by northadams »

Chris,

Just back from Halifax (to Woodstock, Vermont) on business. Many trips over the years-great town! I could not wait enough for the Vulfix. Why do I do this to myself!? I ditto all you have claimed. I will go one further-look underneath at the ingredients. Where am I Mars? I do think we should all look forward to CAR's new cream out of Austin. Sounds interesting. The only other one worth waiting for might be Coate's new look.

Max
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Max, Good to hear from you again, I've been wondering where you have been keeping yourself. I've been to Woodstock, VT. Lovely little town, wish I lived there. For a while, a shop there even stocked Penhaligon's, one of the few in the US that did. Don't feel too bad about the Vulfix creams, we've all had our little 'mistakes', purchase wise. There's no way to really be into this stuff without having a few. CR new shave cream, yes...well...I wouldn't mind trying it at some point, but all this talk about oatmeal and tapioca does not make me overly eager. Admittedly, it is still in it's trial phase. Rather sounds like it lathers like a very rich shave soap, sort of, and of course, I don't use the Cube, so I don't know how that would affect the outcome. Well, we'll see. That new shave soap from QED, that's still about 3 weeks out, sounds good, and is in some nice scents. Regards, Gordon
northadams
Mad Max

Post by northadams »

Gordon,

The shop here in town also stocked DR Harris but they no longer carry any shaving supplies. I am with you on CAR's oatmeal type cream-we will have to wait on that one. I believe he was the one who said shave soaps can be a nice alternative to creams in the summer months. I have been watching all the new members on the other board and was surprised to find some of you over here. That QED soap looks fantastic! I am a cream man but if Joel is right put me on the list! Oh, by the way looking forward to Mr. Kennedy's take on the Manchurian. I have cooled on that idea for the moment. Max
Victor Kiam

Post by Victor Kiam »

What a shame people are turned off a product just because of a view expressed by someone else. I have purchased a tub of the Sandalwood cream myself and have found the product to be comparable if not better than the three T's.

I think the smell and appearance of the cream is absolutely terrific and the cream performs admirably. I found that the cream worked up a very full lather and the resultant shave was extremely smooth and refreshing. The cream is quite viscous, not runny as described above and the color would be described as mushroom or straw. For the money paid I'm delighted with the product and I would urge potential users to make their own minds up rather than follow the herd. I also noted on the Wetshavers Forum Chris Fisher's little spat with Vulfix, maybe his judgement has been blinkered ?

Always remember...one man's meat is another man's poison.
"Shaves as close as a blade or your money back"
guenron
Ich wünsche, daß ich deutsch war

Post by guenron »

drmoss_ca wrote:Vulfix is based on the Isle of Man. Do you think that's why Manx cats have no tails? Explains the softness.....
Oh PHYSICAN Heal thyself! :) Tails of the Isle of Man? or was that tales? At one time there was an exciting motorcycle race held there annually.. The Isle of Man TT (Time Trials or was that Toiletry Tales?) At any rate, I purchased a tub of the Vulfix lavender and will post my two cents too. Doctor, I have enjoyed reading your soap reviews. Much like the proctologist once said, "Opinions are like anal orifi, eveyone is entitled to at least one."
Ron Guenther
Regards,
Ron

Better Living Thru Lather
divotmax

Post by divotmax »

Hi;

I will have to agree with the review about the Vulfix Sandalwood. I've used it about three times, and the scent really does have a synthetic (good description). I compared it to Trumper's Sandalwood, both cream and hard soap, and there is no comparison. The shave was reasonably acceptable, but the scent is a real turn-off.

BobS
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

How-de-do, Bob, nice to see you here too. Well, I have some of this Vulfix cream coming my way, courtesy of Chris F., so I guess I'll be able to add my two cents in a little bit. Given the overall gist of the posts, I'm not exactly delirious with antcipation. Regards, Gordon
divotmax

Post by divotmax »

Hi Gordon;

Hope you injoy the Vulfix Sandalwood. Obviously everyone has their own tastes. Remember I thought (and still do) that the vetiver scent smelled like old sweatsocks, however there are some who love it. A little off topic, but I tried some of the Truefit & Hill Lime cream, and it smelled like I should have meringue on my head. Like the Trumper's much better.

Oh well.

BobS
divotmax

Post by divotmax »

Hi;

OOPS! Sorry, the limes cream I tried was the Castle Forbes cream (in plastic jar.) Still smells like it would be better to eat than to shave with. Actual shave was very good.

BobS
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bob, I'm glad that you added the second post. I was about to dash off a message along the lines of "What?.....what are you talking about?....meringue pie?....Truefitt & Hill?....", but no, it was Castle Forbes. Now I get it. The T&H Lime cream seems to be scented with their Lime cologne. I like it, although I like the scent of the Trumper's more. However, the T&H works every bit as well, and in the pot, is actually a very dense, rich cream. Overall, for me, the two are pretty much tied as my favourite lime shave creams ( and two of my favourites, period ). Regards, Gordon
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Afternoon, Well, the Vulfix Sandalwood arrived from Chris F. I eyed it suspiciously, afterall, the overall gist of the posts has not been all that positive. A number of members, whose views I respect, had been decidedly unimpressed. I even thought about procrastinating in trying it, putting it off to some other time, when I was in a better mood, or something. I mean, who needs a watery runny cream with a weird 'plastic' scent, and a mediocre shave? But, I plowed ahead anyway. Well, contrary to expectations, the shave went well. It is a lighter weight style cream, but for me, it lathered fine, maybe not quite Taylors, but perfectly fine. I did not have to add any more cream to the mix bowl, as I sometimes do, and the third pass lather, that I squeeze out of the base of the brush, was excellent, very rich and wet. I actually rather liked the scent ( I can hear Chris snorting in disgust ), it's obviously not real heavy with top quality real Mysore sandalwood, but I found it pleasant. To me, it was kind of an old time barber shop spicey sort of aroma. And, a plus, from my perspective, it wasn't overpowering, just present. The shave went fine, and, unusual for me with sandalwood creams, my skin seemed happy afterwards. This is probably BECAUSE it doesn't have much, or any, real sandalwood oil in it, as the only other sandalwood cream that doesn't bother my skin, is Taylors. I always get a reaction from Coate's and Trumpers, with their real, straight up, sandalwood fragrance. So, all in all, I rather liked it, although I don't know that I'd go out of my way to get any more. It's possible that I might, however, as all my favourite creams are florals, or lime, or very light scented. The Vulfix might make a nice change for me in colder weather ( if we had any colder weather, here ). Anyway, a pleasant surprise. Regards, Gordon
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

Gordon:

Great to hear you liked it. I am glad someone will get good use from it. This just goes to show that products react very differently from user to user. And, fragrance is a highly personal thing. It's great for people to view the opinions of others but in the end you really do have to try things for yourself. In my case, this is the fun of it. I get great personal satisfaction trying new things and experimenting in search of the perfect shave or the "best" fragrance. As they say, "it's the journey not the destination!!!"

Chris
JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

Hi folks,
I've posted pictures of my vulfix sample being lathered in a top-quality ziploc bowl, go check wetshavers on msn to see it....its the "well GOOD GRIEF" thread....and I must add that the picture of the copious lather in my vulfix *I THINK its a 2236 or whatever-wasn't labeled when I got it* was taken after lathering my face once; the first picture didn't take and I didn't realize it before transferring them to the computer.
So while I didn't like it at first, I've been forced to take another look. BY theway, Gordon, I've only tried the samples so far-did the cream you got have almost a jello-pudding consistency? Mine didnt have the same consistency as some of the creams I'm used to, but it didn't stop it from lathering for me. Mine was also a little finicky with the water...it likes more water than I usually use. I guess thats a good thing though
John P.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

John, The Vulfix cream DOES have a rather odd look about it. I can understand your reference to Jello-pudding. However, once I scooped a dollup into the mix bowl, it looked a bit more 'normal'. While lathering it, it reacted as other creams do. It did seem to want quite a bit of water, although not necessarily more then, say, Coate's. So, sitting in it's pot, it does appear a little different, but once I was working with it, it was like working with other good lathering English creams. Regards, Gordon
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

I tried the Sandalwood sample that Charles sent me this a.m. As others have mentioned, the consistency is not as dense as Taylors or T&H. The scent is pleasant enough. The small amount I scooped into my bowl lathered quite well. The cream lubricated my face and beard quite nicely. No nicks experienced. The cream lathered enough for three passes.

I liked this cream. I will add it to my buy list unless someone has some for sale.