Shaving Cream Review: Taylor's "Mr. Taylor's"

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Shaving Cream Review: Taylor's "Mr. Taylor's"

Post by Chris »

Gents,

As you all know, I am quite a fan of Taylor's (hell, there ain't many cream makers who I am NOT a fan of!). Taylor's is very economical, being the cheapest cream on the market, and a little bit goes a long way. I have recommended this to many friends I have inspired to begin wetshaving (remember, friends don't let friends use Edge!). Often, they ask me "which cream smells the most manly?". I refer them to this cream.

Texture/Appearance

All Taylor's creams have basically the same appearance, aside from color. They all are extremely dense and tightly packed in the tub. A little bit definitely goes a long way with this cream.

Latherability

Mr. Taylor's, much like other Taylor creams, produces a profuse lather that is thick, slick and very well hydrated from a very small portion of cream. I use an amount about the size of an almond and I get at least enough lather to shave three people easily. Judging by how much is left in the brush and the bowl when I finish, I would say I could get at least 10-12 passes from a single almond size amount, if not more. Very impressive.

Scent

This scent is definitely a manly scent. It's spicy. It's musky. It truely is an outstanding scent. Very "barbershop", and I'm not talking about the movie! I'm talking about old time barbershops. I could envision my grandfather shaving with this, back in the day. Very nostalgic. Very masculine. I love it.

The Shave

The shave I get from this cream is fantastic. My skin feels soft after using this, but for those with ultra sensitive skin, the fact that it is a cologne scented cream may give you trouble, but I don't know enough about sensitive skin to say one way or the other. If someone knows about this, please respond and add your wisdom!

Try this with...

Mr. Taylor's aftershave balm and cologne. I haven't tried them, but I hear they are very true to the cream.

The Verdict

9/10. One of my favorites.
jdtx3302

Post by jdtx3302 »

This is one of the only 2 creams that i have used. This and the Taylor's Lavender. And it is a very manly scent. I love to use it. I can't wait to try some of the others now that we are getting such great reviews. Nice job Chris.
Justin
Texas
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

Thank you very much, Justin. It is very much appreciated! I'm glad folks are finding the reviews useful!

Chris
Gramps
Canadian Badass

Post by Gramps »

Great review Chris...
This is by far the best 'smelling' men's product from "anywhere" that I have ever used!! Of course, I havea lot of stuff to try yet.... but this 'Mr Taylor's' will be my 'go to' cream, for a very long time.

I am hoping to stock up soon and get the cologne etc. as well.

When I end up with an over abundance of this cream (usually do... on purpose) I gently squeeze out the brush and rub the remaining lather into my hands and forearms. You'd be surprised how long the scent stays!!

Definitely GREAT stuff.... highly recommended.

- Gramps
~~ Larry ~~
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

That's a great idea Gramps! I never thought of doing that....I'm gonna have to try it. I'd love a lot of those cream scents to linger! Great tip, Gramps!
Enrico

Post by Enrico »

Great job on the review Chris.

This is one of my favs as well. I like it so much I bought the aftershave balm......same wonderful scent :)

Steve
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

I own the shaving shop balm...I must invest in some Mr. Taylor's. I find the Taylor's balms to particularly soothing and good on my skin after a shave. It's good stuff.
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

Just consider me a SCAD Enabler :lol: