Speik

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

I've heard of people putting say 10 drops of eo in a plastic baggie with an AOS unscented for a week and getting a scented soap after but I have no idea if that really works and whether that leads to spoilage or what.

I'd think if you milled the soap and mixed in some EO and then reformed it, it's bound to work to some degree.
drumana

Post by drumana »

I'm a big fan of Speick products. I've tried the shave soap, bath soap, shower gel, aftershave lotion and cologne, and enjoy them all. The shave soap has made it to the now exclusive short list of soaps that I currently use. It's an excellent performer for me - I get a nice, slick, dense, protective lather from it easily. The scent of the whole Speick line is fresh, crisp and earthy, which is right up my ally.
-Andrew-
95%

Post by 95% »

I've just shaved with a Speick stick - Valobra soft soap combo. I keep each in its own mug (having grated the stick) and make my lather in the mug with a large Omega Pro brush. First I made lather from Speick, then moved my lather-laden brush over to the Valobra. I had about equal amounts mixed together, and the lather was second to none. Like most superlathers, however, it was not noticeably better than either of its constituents standing alone.

Contrary to my hopes and expectations, the Speick scent did not overpower the fatty almond fragrance of the Valobra. In fact, the Valobra prevailed over the Speick. I conclude, therefore, that the experiment was interesting but not worth repeating.
Porter
gdc

Post by gdc »

I'm a big fan of Speick, but have always preferred the stick to the cream (the scent of the cream being a bit much for me). As I'm generally a creams guy, this was a bit of a revelation!

The After-shave Lotion, however, is a superb product in my opinion. I regularly try different creams and soaps, but this has always featured in my routine for months now. Excellent stuff.
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

I picked up the shave stick on friday and used over the weekend as a shavre stick with my Vulfix super. It reminded me a lot of the Palmolive shave stick in performance. I found the scent of the lather muted. It's good, but I prefer others. Of the Speick range I prefer the aftershave splash, though I might give the bath soap a go.
Eric
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

drumana wrote:I'm a big fan of Speick products. I've tried the shave soap, bath soap, shower gel, aftershave lotion and cologne, and enjoy them all. The shave soap has made it to the now exclusive short list of soaps that I currently use. It's an excellent performer for me - I get a nice, slick, dense, protective lather from it easily. The scent of the whole Speick line is fresh, crisp and earthy, which is right up my ally.
I concur with everything Andrew writes here. Perfect description of the scent, which has, for me, become quite addictive. I have not sampled all of the ancillary products, but I do have some bath soap in a sample size somewhere and some shower gel, too, I think. Must give them a whirl. And yes, my very short list of soaps includes Speick, as well as the Palmolive Eric mentioned.

Eric, I see lots of similarities between Speick and Palmolive sticks in terms of lather, scent, etc. I love them both. The Speick scent is a bit more muted than some of the English soaps, but it is certainly strong enough for my tastes. I catch little whiffs of it for a few minutes after the shave.
I've used the soap for my last six or seven shaves and see no reason to try anything else anytime soon. Every lather is better than the last.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Janus

Post by Janus »

A good deal on Speick stick here for European members (shipping is a bit steep if you order from across the pond):

http://www.bce-europe.com/en/Men/Shavin ... -50-g.html

Also, if you like the AS lotion and the shaving cream, you might consider this:

http://www.bce-europe.com/en/Men/Face-C ... -Care.html
Janus
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

the balms is surprisingly good. smells kind of weird and cheap (like all speick products) but you notice in a few minutes what a classy balm it is. Really works and no blech tacky feeling. The speick products have this understated unpretentious quality thing going.
95%

Post by 95% »

I know only the soap. The smell isn't cheap but it might be weird. "Different" is the best adjective that occurs to me. The performance of this tallow soap is excellent.
Porter
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Good performance but the scent is too offsetting for my use.
Regards,
Squire
drumana

Post by drumana »

loueedacat1 wrote:the balms is surprisingly good. smells kind of weird and cheap (like all speick products) but you notice in a few minutes what a classy balm it is. Really works and no blech tacky feeling. The speick products have this understated unpretentious quality thing going.
I see what you are saying with the 'cheap and weird' feel to the Speick scent. I've always thought of it as nothing special, but there is something very appealing about that to me. I think it's the 'understated unpretentious quality' that you speak of. I liked the scent right off the bat, and in fact it's grown on me even more as time goes on.
-Andrew-