Speik

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
redbeard

Speik

Post by redbeard »

I have found no reviews of these products but having given up Harris and Trumper a few years back in favor of these I have lost my frame of reference. I love these products... anyone thoughts?
KillerPancake

Post by KillerPancake »

I just got a hold of the shaving cream and the a/s splash. The cream seems to be one of the more labour intensive types that you have to work at for a while with the brush before the lather gets good. But it does get very good and provides a great shave. I'm not a really big fan of the herbalish scent, but I can live with it.

The a/s splash smells nice and feels great. Unlike some aftershaves, the scent does last for quite some time and changes as time goes on. Near the end of the day, I'd have to say that the dominant note I smell is pepper.

I've also got a sample of the a/s balm, but have yet to try it out.
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

I received a tube of Speick cream as a gift, and I like it a lot. I get rich, creamy lather from it, and it's also soothing for sensitive skin. I never tried any of the aftershaves they make though, but one day I will.

Jeff
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

The Speick Shave Stick is among my favorites. For some reason I do not reach for it all that often but when I do....Whoa Momma. I am impressed every time!
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
tester

Post by tester »

The Speick stick is an awesome product. Lots of tallow, very smooth, top performer.
The Seeker

Post by The Seeker »

BullGoose wrote:For some reason I do not reach for it all that often...
I have a theory regarding this. I find I'm the same with my Tabac and Cella. I reckon it's because we know they're great performers as well as being consistently good. Therefore, getting good results is no challenge.

I've found I tend to reach more often for the products that give me a little more trouble, like I'm determined to get the water ratio right/swirl for the right amount of time etc to get the results I've read about and am sure are attainable.

By the way, I have the Speick shaving stick and after shave lotion and love them both.
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

The Seeker wrote: I have a theory regarding this. I find I'm the same with my Tabac and Cella. I reckon it's because we know they're great performers as well as being consistently good. Therefore, getting good results is no challenge.
You are probably on to something. The Speick does seem to tolerate different water ratios and there really is no challenge in getting a great lather and a great shave. The funny thing is, I know it is good stuff but every time I use it, it is even better than I remembered. I need to fight the urge for a challenge and instead settle on an excellent and enjoyable shave. 8)
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
The Seeker

Post by The Seeker »

BullGoose wrote:I need to fight the urge for a challenge and instead settle on an excellent and enjoyable shave. 8)
I often find myself thinking the same, usually, "Why don't I just sell off all my stuff and use the Cella?" But then, there's one more cream I have to try...
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

As much as I like Speick, I also enjoy variety. I would never just stick with one product (you know...the spice of life and all that). That being said, if I was stuck on an island and could only have one shave soap, Speick would not be a bad choice at all.

- Phil
95%

Post by 95% »

I'm another fan of the Speick stick, which I grated into a mug and work up with a big wet Omerga Pro brush. The lather is excellent and the scent is different and refreshing.
Porter
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've found that Speick Shaving Cream works great as a brushless shaving cream. Not to say that it doesn't work just as well or better with the brush too! :wink:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

So in the midst of a great Speick stick shave this morning, it struck me that the lather reminded me of what I get from Tabac. I checked the ingredients list after my shave, and noted that the first two ingredients are Potassium Stearate and Sodium Stearate. Tallowate is the third ingredient. In other words, there's a boatload of stearic acid in this stuff, as there is in Tabac. Both are talked about as tallowate soaps, but as Clint has pointed out w/r/t Tabac, it's really a stearic acid soap. Stearic acid does the heavy lifting in most of the great English creams, too, in terms of building really good, stable lather. In conjunction with the beard-softening tallow, well, the result is just brilliant. Tabac and Speick aren't - I don't think - identical in terms of base formula, but their lather is very similar, and I prefer the Speick scent to either Irisch Moos or Tabac. Really top-flight stuff.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
95%

Post by 95% »

I agree, Tim. Speick deserves more credit than it gets. I like the scent, the color, and especially the lather.
Porter
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

Ive never liked the Speick stick, but I blended it with a pre de provence soap into a pre de speicknard stick and it's quite good.

Love the SC.
95%

Post by 95% »

I remember that bit of wizardry. Why the "nard" in Pre de Speicknard?
Porter
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Spikenard is the plant extract whence Speick gets its name and part of its scent.

I remember that experimental frankensoap, too. Funny, I had been pondering last night whether Palmolive and Speick might meld well. I also considered ordering a Valobra stick and milling it with Speick. The scents seem like they would blend well, and the lather should be fantastic.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
95%

Post by 95% »

Tim, thanks for clarifying spikenard. The idea of blending Speick and Valobra is an appealing one, because the latter's fragrance needs to be kicked up a notch. I think I'll try it tomorrow. Shall we call the monster Val-spike?
Porter
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

Let me know how that goes. The beauty of mixing in the PdP is the sweet sweet basily scent of the PdP really did blend beautifully with that weird speick bitter thing, and the PdP brought some shea butter action to the speick's tallow action. [evoking the peanut butter and chocolate collisions of the 70s]

Mixing Valobra and Speick (both beasts of tallow) should yield a great performer, but it's more blending hersheys and cadbury (and both scents are kind of bitter - thought I think speick would neutralize that weird valobra stick aftertaste scent). But do it and report back please!
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

Of course now I'm thinking of redoing my experiment as a ValSpeickKarite des GerFrankTaly.
95%

Post by 95% »

I'm hoping the Speick might neutralize the slightly fatty smell of the Valobra. I'll give it a go tomorrow and report back. But what about adding EO's directly to Valobra? Would that work? I have no experience with essential oils and don't know what degree of skill is involved.
Porter