Truefitt Hill

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Drew

Truefitt Hill

Post by Drew »

I've heard this is a high quality cream, is that correct? Which scents do you gents find most appealing? Thank you

Drew
Coche_y_bondhu
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Coche_y_bondhu »

Hello Drew,

I love your Chicago Bears helmet! Grew up in Chicago. Bears fan since 1961. January 1986 was a very good month! But I digress.

As for T&H creams, I have the Limes and 1805, with corresponding EDTs. I believe you can't go wrong with any of the T&H creams. I very much like the two I have.

Cheers,
Richard
Bears Fan in Cowboy Country
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

T&H are excellent creams, though I've found the lather is perhaps a tiny bit less luxurious than other high-end creams (but we're talking "shades of grey" here). The scent of their Trafalgar cream is one of my all-time favorites. I also have 1805 which is nice, but too similar to J. Peterman's 1903 (and I like 1903 better). T&H does send out samples if you email them and ask nicely. :)

--Mark
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

T&H is one of my favorite shave creams. I have the West Indian Limes, 1805, Grafton and recently bought Rose. All the creams lather well, lubricate and smell great. You can't go wrong with this line of creams.

I also have Limes, 1805 and Grafton EDTs. They smell as nice or nicer than the creams.
razor_boy
King Of Hard Soaps

Post by razor_boy »

I have the T&H Rose cream. I get a very good shave with it and the scent good athough not my favorite.

Paul.
A Peach looks good with lots of fuzz but man's no peach and never was. ~ Burma Shave
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ditto all of the above. Gordon
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

Does anyone know if J. Peterman offers samples?
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

I too have the Rose T&H cream and while it gives a great shave the scent is not to my liking. I sent an email to T&H for some samples and of what they sent me the Almond and WI Lime were very nice, but the Trafalgar was AWESOME. My next T&H puchase will definately be a tub of the Trafalgar!
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

Drew

Post by Drew »

I was able to pick up a brand new tub of Trafalgar on the cheap off of ebay. it is an awesome scent, and the quality of the cream is every bit as good as the other high-end creams. You can't go wrong with Trafalgar!

Drew
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

AACJ wrote:Does anyone know if J. Peterman offers samples?
They'll send you a scent paper but don't offer samples of the actual cream. That said, I understand from other posts they do seem to have a liberal, no-hassle return guarantee. I very much enjoy the J. Peterman 1903 shave cream.

--Mark
growler

Post by growler »

I sniffed some T&H West Indian Limes today. To me, it smelled like furniture polish. Is there a change in scent when it's actually used for lathering?
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

growler wrote:I sniffed some T&H West Indian Limes today. To me, it smelled like furniture polish. Is there a change in scent when it's actually used for lathering?
That must be some good smelling Lemon Pledge :lol: . Seriously, the scent stays the same. I happen to like the scent.
PoshRichM

Post by PoshRichM »

I'm a fan of T&H Limes as well. They also have a (to me) fantastic lavender.

-Rich
p_man

Post by p_man »

Mmmm, T& Limes....<drool>

See, this is what I've come to: somebody mentions T&H Limes, and here's what goes through my head:

Ok, I used Trumper's Limes today, so I maybe I won't use the T&H tomorrow, but I can use it Friday. Maybe I'll use St. James tomorrow. But I used it yesterday, so maybe I'll sneak in a day of Proraso. But it's also been a couple of days since I used the avocado, so maybe I'll use that instead. But that means I can't use the violet until Saturday....

Dave C
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

p_man wrote:Mmmm, T& Limes....<drool>

See, this is what I've come to: somebody mentions T&H Limes, and here's what goes through my head:

Ok, I used Trumper's Limes today, so I maybe I won't use the T&H tomorrow, but I can use it Friday. Maybe I'll use St. James tomorrow. But I used it yesterday, so maybe I'll sneak in a day of Proraso. But it's also been a couple of days since I used the avocado, so maybe I'll use that instead. But that means I can't use the violet until Saturday....

Dave C
Dave, I will go days using the same cream and then start using different creams daily. This is maddness :shock: .
xkvamme

Post by xkvamme »

I have felt really guilty as of late. I used to be part of the group that said that Truefitt & Hill produced slightly les luxurious lather. But lately, I have really been enjoying my Truefitt & Hill shaves. I get just as good a lather as from the other 2 T's.

This is a picture of my brush AFTER my shave this morning. You can see that there is plently of rich lather to spare. Well hopefully you are able to see that considering the quality is horrible. Sorry, my camera has a hard time focusing.

xkvamme

Post by xkvamme »

Sorry about the oversized-ness of my picture, I am new to this image hosting thing.
karim0028

Post by karim0028 »

I personally love the T&H Trafalgar... For me It is best in shave closness right after Proraso... Awesome...

-Hytham
-"Life without emotion is no more than death in disguise"
karim0028
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

I think T&H is an excellent cream. It seems that it sometimes gets the "poorer cousin" rep when compared to Trumpers or Taylors. But in my [limited] experience I was more impressed with T&H - I get a consistent shave and the lather is unbelievable. Granted I think Taylors trumps it when it comes to the "slickness" factor.

The T&H seems to leave a thin film on my face as I shave which kind of seals things - less redness & nicks.

In terms of straight shaving efficacy my order of preference is:

QED
T&H
Taylors & Salter - Tie
Trumpers

If you were to ask me in terms of thick lather or scent, the order, or for that matter, the group itself would probably be different.

I'm trying Poraso tomorrow and will see how that stacks up for me.
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
shaveking

Post by shaveking »

for anyone thats interested, ashford.com is selling truefitt& hill at a
substantial discount with an additional 10% off and 5.95 shipping.
just ordered trafalger shave cream for a total of 20.85.

pete