Major Irritation from QED Rose

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
stuff495

Major Irritation from QED Rose

Post by stuff495 »

I just got my soap today. Unfortunately, waaaay too much irritation for me to use :(. The QED Rose soap has easily taken the #1 most irritating soap spot away from the Classic Shaving Almond. When the lather was applied I felt an immediate tingling/burning sensation, which only became more uncomfortable. I have very sensitive skin when it comes to soaps :x. I can't even use Trumper's Coconut. Full review follows.

PACKAGING:
My initial impressions were that the packaging looked very professional. The plastic screw on container the soap comes in would be excellent for travel.

I however do not like bowls at a all (unless they are very deep). They always get messy, and if I use a brush dipped in very hot water they have a nasty tendency to drip or splatter scalding water everywhere. I much prefer a mug, because it keeps the excess lather and hot water under control -- all of my soaps are in mugs. Having the soap melted in a shallow bowl was a big negative for me. The soap looked like it could be melted out of the container and poured into a mug, so this might not really be an issue.

SCENT:
I didn't find the scent to be as strong or as people had described on my first whiff. After I whipped up some lather and applied it I though I have to confess that it is every-bit as strong as advertised. The bathroom still had a noticeable aroma of Rose 3 hours later when I came back from dinner. I tried working the QED Rose soap up on my skin for about 2 minutes at most, and I could smell the rose on my skin for hours afterwards, even though I had rinsed it all of and shaved with a different soap.
I did not find the QED Rose scent itself as appealing as the scent of my other rose scented toiletries (Coral Skin Food, a rose hydrosol, and some Lebanese rosewater). Everybody has different tastes of course, so your milage may vary, several people on this forum obviously like the rose scent immensely.

LATHER:
I can't really comment on the lather much because I wasn't used to using the shallow bowl the soap came in, and I stopped using the soap before I really got a lather I was happy with due to the much discomfort from working up the lather on my face.
As I have said before, I much prefer a mugs or bowl with steeper a rim, so I didn't do as good a job working up the lather as I could. I carefully poured some hot water onto the soap, then drained it away. Next I tried loading the brush up on the soap and lathering on my face. The soap started sudzing very quickly, but the bubbles were very large. I think that if I stuck with it longer and got the right water/soap mixture that the lather would become thicker.
When I got back from dinner I looked at some lather leftover on the bowl that had partially dried. It looked different from any dried lather I have ever seen. It was like slick toothpaste, instead of dried lather.

SHAVE:
There was too much irritation, so I switched to the ClassicShaving Hypoalergenic soap. I had a great shave with it.

--Vincent
Sage

Post by Sage »

Vincent,

I have the same feeling with regards to the burning. I don't generally have sensitive skin, so I was surprised. I did, however, really appreciate the lather, the quality of shave, and the scent. I don't think I can get past the burning though, and I'll probably be discontinuing my use of the rose anyway.

Andy
rschul2

Post by rschul2 »

Vincent and Andy,
I'm really sorry for those that are having the irritation with the rose soap. I've been able to just keep the soap off of my lips to relieve my problem, but you guys seem to be having a different reaction altogether. I'm glad to hear that the other soaps are working well for everyone though. If Joel said Charles is getting to work on the problem, I'm sure that things will be handled. Place your shave soaps in the selling trading section, I'm sure someone will take the soaps off of your hands.
Randy
mike

Post by mike »

I've really got to applaud Charles. There appear to be only a few of us that have a reaction to the rose scent. Charles could simply go about his business and sell to those who have no problem, but instead, he is actively seeking a solution so that we can a ALL enjoy the soap. Thanks Charles.

Mike
Sage

Post by Sage »

mike wrote:I've really got to applaud Charles. There appear to be only a few of us that have a reaction to the rose scent. Charles could simply go about his business and sell to those who have no problem, but instead, he is actively seeking a solution so that we can a ALL enjoy the soap. Thanks Charles.

Mike
Definitely, I agree. If he comes up with a solution, I'll be the first in line, because I love the rose. Was even willing to put up with the irritation so that I could keep using it, but it got to be too much.

Can't wait to hear that he has come up with an alternative.
HLSheppard
Coffee King

Post by HLSheppard »

I'm kinda bummed. I get the same irritation from the Sandalwood as I do from the Wild Rose :(

It's not like my face is melting off or anything. But I don't think there is any way that I could stand a third pass (not that my skin would like me afterwards, ANYWAY).

Charles is tops all around. I know he'll be all over a solution; whatever that may be.
Howard L. Sheppard
howardsheppard(at)sbcglobal.net

"I wish I were less awkward around strangers. I never know what to say when someone asks me who I am and what in the world I'm doing in their house." -- Andy Ihnatko
ARenaissanceMan

Post by ARenaissanceMan »

Well this isn't good. I've got sensitive skin as well. Maybe I should cancel my preorder until Chuck can get this sorted. Damn I was so excited as well.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Vincent, Just a matter of curiosity. Obviously your skin is pretty sensitive, and yet, you seem to favor soaps anyway. I have some sensitivity to some soaps myself, although not, apparently, as great as yours. I was wondering what soaps ( or creams ) do work well for you? Regards, Gordon
hedonist

Post by hedonist »

clarkkent333 wrote:Well this isn't good. I've got sensitive skin as well. Maybe I should cancel my preorder until Chuck can get this sorted. Damn I was so excited as well.
I wouldnt jump the gun, people's reaction to products are as unpredictable as anything in skin care can be. Chances are you may not be allergic but I will tell you this much, you'd be best off only getting one to test first instead of ordering all 5 like you did.
Rich

Post by Rich »

I too experienced a major burn from the Rose....and I love the fragrance....too bad. Sure hope Charles is able to fix it. This is only time I have had any irritation from any soap pr cream.
Rich
mark the shoeshine boy

Post by mark the shoeshine boy »

well...tomorrow I get to try the rose for the first time...so far I have tried the other four and they have been wonderful in ever aspect ...

I guess it is like being allergic to strawberries...break out into a rash and not be able to enjoy the good things in life...
perhaps that chicken wings flavor is still a possibilty....

i will post my "rose experience" tommorrow...

mark TSSB
SHAVE AND A HAIRCUT...WAIT A SECOND WHAT ABOUT A SHOESHINE, TOO ????
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

Vincent:

That's the first I've heard of anyone being sensitive to Trumper's Coconut. This is, in my view, the most lightly scented cream in the market with the exception of AOS' unscented cream. To my nose, the Trumper Coconut is virtually unscented. You're likely very sensitive to fragrance oils at any concentration. You should try one of the QED soaps with 100% essential oil. Lavender is very good as is Rose Geranium. You might also try the sticks as these are colorant free. This might also be a source of irritation if you're super, super sensitive. I too found the Rose mildly irritating which I am sure comes from the fragrance oil. However, I've also used the QED Sandalwood, Lavender, Rose Geranium, Bergamot, and Patchouli/Tea Tree/mint and had no problem. These formulas are all based on 100% essential oils. I find the base soap to be the most effective soap/cream I have used to date and I've tried many.

Chris
guenron
Ich wünsche, daß ich deutsch war

The Sky is Falling, the Sky is Falling!

Post by guenron »

Greetings All,
At http://tinyurl.com/74emy I discussed my common experience with clownjuggling. I decided to give this delicious soap 7 shaves before panicing. Day 2 and still tingling, but noticibly less. Hmmm? Still tingles but no irritation. Tingling seems to be of a lesser (subjective) magnitude and encompass a different (objective) facial area.
Vince, has your skin reddened? or beome bumpy? developed welts? as a result of the Wild Rose soap? My response seemed to be more of a neural reaction than burning from caustic or acidic irritation.
I think I agree with your observation on the container, good for travel, not the best for building a wet mix.
I do have confidence in Charles. Hopefully we will see some remedial resolution.
Cheers! (and no red cheeks!)
Ron :oops:
Last edited by guenron on Sun May 08, 2005 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Ron

Better Living Thru Lather
razor_boy
King Of Hard Soaps

Post by razor_boy »

I must say, I have tried both the Sandalwood & Rose soaps from QED and have had no problems. The scents have been terrific and I am looking forward to trying Violetta tommorow.

Paul.
A Peach looks good with lots of fuzz but man's no peach and never was. ~ Burma Shave
razor_boy
King Of Hard Soaps

Post by razor_boy »

I had used the QED Rose soap a couple of times with no ill effects and no irritation, but I hadn't been using my usual prep because of lack of time. I was just splashing my face with hot water and then shaving.

So after reading the comments about irritation I decided to shave tonight when I had plenty of time to do my usual prep. Before I outline my routine let me say I was using your Rose soap and I got a very close shave.

1) I soak a washcloth in HOT water and vigorously scrub my face (I do this 3 times).

2) I then take a mild face scrub put some on my hands and rub it into ha areas of my face including the area to be shaved.

3) I soak a washcloth in HOT water and vigorously scrub my face (I do this 3 times). This cleans my face and get rid of all soap.

4) Then take a fresh washcloth and soakm it in HOT water the ringout so that it is not dripping and lay it on my face for several seconds (I do this 3 times). This is the same idea as a hot towel. Now my breard is very soft, my face is very clean and the skin is sensitive.

5) I then take my brush that been soaking in HOT water and lather up some of the Rose soap. I then build the lather on my face. There is a slight tingle (not unexpected given what I put my face through doing my prep). The tingle is not at all uncomfortable.

6) I then shave, the first pass with the grain using Merkur Progress razor and Merkur blades.

7) I then re-lather my face as I do I feel a little more tingle (again not unexpected given that I just ran a blade over my face).

8) I then do a second pass against the grain.

9) Then re-lather a third time (my face still tingles)

10) I then do a third pass against the grain.

11) I soak a washcloth in COLD water and appy to my face to close the pores (I do this 3 times).

12) Because my shave was very close I then took my Alum block and applied COLD water to it and then applied the Alum block to all shaved areas.

13) I then patted my face dry with a towel (as I did all irritation subsided).

14) I then applied Coral Skin Food.

15) I sprayed my face with Di Vinci Water.

I got a great shave. Yes there was some MILD irritation but no more that there is with Proraso. That mild irrtation also tells me my face is exfoliated and clean.

Paul.
A Peach looks good with lots of fuzz but man's no peach and never was. ~ Burma Shave
mark the shoeshine boy

Post by mark the shoeshine boy »

Well I said that I would post my "rose experience"....I couldn't stand it anymore so I did a "light shave" for the evening (last night) and shaved again this morning with Wild Rose....

And I must say that everything was just fine....it does have a different feel to me that the rest...I have all five flavors...perhaps this is because of the difference in oils used...

I even has some on my lips and there was no burning or tingling with it....

It is with sincere regret that some of you are experiencing as issue with Wild Rose...have you tried the other flavors ???

I saw a couple of you already put yours up for sale...did you contact Charles about it. He has such a great reputation, do you think your dissatifaction would go unattended by him ??? If there was a problem in the mix, I think I would have contacted him first and see what he wanted you to do...

Don't take me wrong, posting your opinion in here is something that I strongly support and encourage. I learn something new in here everyday and get a laugh or two also...everyone in here is terriffic...

This is not a personal attack about anyone who has posted about QED soap, but as a general statement about getting satisfaction with any product.

As a sales rep for a large corporation (but I really did shine shoes as a kid) we want to know any and all concerns with our products, and our service team will take over from there...a manufacturer who does not have a chance to correct any situation gets bad press for no reason.

Word of mouth is the best form of advertising....wouldn't it had been great to see..."hey I had a problem with Wild Rose and told Charles about it and he took great care of me...!!!" In today's consumers mind, I know we are generally cynical about businesses in general, and when we get great service from companies, salespeople or waitresses- we are so shocked, we don't know what to do...

There are so many great service orientated businesses out there like Cross pens, Zippo lighters and I will put Charles and his company right up there with them. I wished our company was so quick to respond to issues.

Perhaps the real problem was in the name of the soap..instead of Wild Rose, maybe it should have been....[/b]FIRE AND ROSES ...NOW THIS WAS A JOKE....now that starts another idea in my head...remember those "red hots" cinnamon candy...how about that as a flavor ??? That would set you on fire...lol...

In closing, there is no attacks in this message and no one is suppose to feel that way...

Thanks to all of you who post in here in such a fine upstanding way...I consider all of you a friend.

Sincerely,

Mark theshoeshineboy
SHAVE AND A HAIRCUT...WAIT A SECOND WHAT ABOUT A SHOESHINE, TOO ????
HLSheppard
Coffee King

Post by HLSheppard »

Mark -

I for one didn't contact Charles as I didn't really see a need to. There is no doubt in my mind that he would (and will) do everything he can to make sure his customers are happy.

I didn't contact him as I didn't really see the problem as his to deal with. I mean - if I had an allergic reaction to some EDT that I bought from the web, I just figure that's my problem, not the retailer's.

Of course, there are many schools of thought on this issue - but that's just mine. Had the soap come in a cracked bowl or something like that - of course I would have let Charles know. But this is my body chemistry at work (damn it all) so I don't see the need to make that Charles' problem.

After all that I know he's gone through creating and preparing this soap (for us) - I hardly feel it fair to ask him to ship me more or some such a thing if/when he reformulates it or what have you. Cripes - he doesn't charge enough as it is! He's too valuable to us as a resource to make him lose whatever slim profits he makes on these items by contacting him over this.

Again - that's just my $.02.
Howard L. Sheppard
howardsheppard(at)sbcglobal.net

"I wish I were less awkward around strangers. I never know what to say when someone asks me who I am and what in the world I'm doing in their house." -- Andy Ihnatko
guenron
Ich wünsche, daß ich deutsch war

Post by guenron »

Greetings All,
Mmmm. Ahhh. Day 3. I shall cut my 4 forms again :twisted: . No complaints as to the efficacy of the soap. But it still tingles about the same as day 2. Tingling migrated back from cheeks to lips and chin and this was all before the steel even got near my face. Neither more nor less after N-S, NW-SE, NE-SW, and S-N. (Take that for directions Lewis and Clarke! :wink: )
I am conflicted at this point. One more shave with the Progress and then I shall try Wild Rose with the Vision. Anyone hear anything from Charles about the formulation? :?:
Best regards for a pleasant Mothers Day
Ron
Regards,
Ron

Better Living Thru Lather
mike

Post by mike »

I did not contact Charles either, as I did not see it as his propbem. I view this as my problem. I have tried all of the other QED shave soaps and find them all to be a joy to use. If a different formulation is developed, I'll be first in line to try it. If not I'll continue to enjoy the other 4 soaps. 4 out of 5 isn't bad! In no way should my skin reaction have any reflection on Charles or the quality of these fine soaps. I'm sure Charles would have taken the soap back, however since there is such a demand I thought I would put it up for trade instead.

Mike
Sage

Post by Sage »

I agree with Howard and Mike. I viewed the burning as my problem. I did talk to Charles, and he assured me he would take it back, but again, I just didn't see how he should take a hit because my skin reacted. Also, the fact that so many people want to try it, and it is sold out, I figured it'd be better to pass it along, rather than send it back.

I hope Charles doesn't take it the wrong way, and I by no means, meant any disrespect. I just figure his reputation is golden here, and nobody is going to stop buying from him because of this minor issue.

In fact, as soon as I can snag a re-made rose, or any of his other soaps, I plan to.

Andy