Oil Based Shaving Soaps

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
razor_boy
King Of Hard Soaps

Oil Based Shaving Soaps

Post by razor_boy »

I was asked to try a new shaving soap, like most homemade soaps it is what I would call an oil based soap. It had the following oils in it:

Avacado oil, Coconut oil, Castor oil, Jojoba oil, Olive oil, and Palm Oil. Also, there wasn't any glycerine added.

The lather seemed VERY thin and faded quickly. I have a very hard time keeping my face wet. After the shave my face seemed sticky and I had to wash it over again.

Has anyone else had similar or different experiences with soaps that have a high oil content?

Paul.
A Peach looks good with lots of fuzz but man's no peach and never was. ~ Burma Shave
razor_boy
King Of Hard Soaps

Post by razor_boy »

There have also been discussions on the effects of oil on badger hair shaving brushes, so I would tend to be concerned about prolonged use of an oil based soap on my super badger brush.

Does anyone have any other thoughts on this?

Paul.
A Peach looks good with lots of fuzz but man's no peach and never was. ~ Burma Shave
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

Paul,

I too have heard that oils and badger brushes just don't mix. From the ingredients you listed below I would suspect that the castor and jojoba oil would be bad for the brush. I'm not sure about avacado and coconut but I think those are often used in Taylors and Trumpers soaps/creams. As for the olive and palm oils I think those might be ok since they are mainly used for all hard soaps to facilitate saponification (the process where an oil reacts with sodium hydroxide for form a soap base).

Personally, I wouldn't use the soap you described with my badger brush. If it can't really produce a long lasting lather then there is probably something wrong with the formulation which makes in inadequate for shaving. Maybe it's better for bathing.

Vince
:::Vince:::
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

Todd,

You have a wealth of soap knowledge! Thanks for setting us straight! Hehe...I've read enuff on the topic to confuse myself.
:::Vince:::