Choose Two Per Season?

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
DEF

Choose Two Per Season?

Post by DEF »

I set out for myself the exercise of selecting two fragrances for each season. Here are the results. Sorry for the incomplete notes; maybe I'll return next spring to finish them. What would you choose?

Cheers,
Doug

--------------------------
AUTUMN

Penhaligon’s Blenheim Bouquet – A crisp blend of citrus and pine, supported by an expert blend of subtle herbal notes. Visual image: An orange peel on a bed of pine needles, with the wind whispering overhead.

Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood – A warm, sweet bouquet of wood with insinuations of brown spice and citrus zest. Visual image: A thick, wooly sweater and a mug of mulled cider.

WINTER

Trumper Eucris – A mature blend of robust notes, including moss, cumin, and musk, cloaked in the pleasantly musty aura of blackcurrant leaves. Visual image: Papers and potpourri from decades past, discovered in the drawer of a dark, antique dresser.

Woods of Windsor – A substantial presentation of a classic “leather” formula, featuring a forward accord reminiscent of neroli, lemongrass and verbena. Visual image: A leather riding crop and a mat of woven reeds.

SPRING
Penhaligon’s English Fern
Musgo Real No. 2 Oak Moss

SUMMER
Taylor No. 74 Victorian Limes
Musgo Real No. 1 Orange Amber

HONORABLE MENTION
Trumper Eau de Quinine
Taylor Shaving Shop
Roger & Gallet Vetyver
Hoyt’s Cologne
Ben

Post by Ben »

Let me be the first to say that you picked the wrong fragrances for yourself. :lol:

But seriously, the Blenheim is a nice choice. As are Eucris and English Fern. good seasonal placements, and I might do the same if given the opportunity. However, I would put a nice vetiver in there somewhere, as well as Penhaligon's Opus 1870 and maybe even Trumper's Ajaccio Violets.
Hell-bent ... hell-bent for Feather!

"As your attorney, I advise you to take a hit out of the little brown flask in my shaving kit."
— Dr. Gonzo, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
mikey

Post by mikey »

hello doug,

warm weather:
taylor no 74 victorian limes
aqua di parma (need to try)

cool weather:
trumper spanish leather
trumper sandalwood
knize ten
brooks brothers 1818 (need to try)

thanks,
mike
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Easy, as I will only have 4 colognes

Winter/fall: MPG Eau des Iles, a smokey coffee/hazelnut concoction, deep.

Summer: Creed Green Irish Tweed

All year: Creed Millisime Imperial. Actually GIT can be yearround

On the way, and a year round one: Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque

Sam
Bob

Post by Bob »

Sam, I can no more believe that you would be satisfied with only four colognes, than I would believe that Gordon really shaves with a Schick Quattro and a can of Gillette Foamy.

If I had to pick four seasonal colognes, I'd go with:
Autumn - Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet
Winter - Brooks Bros. 1818
Spring - Caswell-Massey No. 6
Summer - Taylor's No. 74 Victorian Lime
--Bob--
DEF

Post by DEF »

Folks are coming up with some solid picks, here. I limited myself to fragrances I've tried, but there are several here that are on my wish list: Aqua di Parma, Brooks Bros. 1818, Caswell Massey No. 6, and Knize Ten.

Sam gets the "off the beaten path" award, for sure.

I took a huge hit today and ordered Blenheim and Eucris from Shoplondons. I went ahead and ordered both now so I could 1) get the free shipping, and 2) beat the rumored upcoming price increases from Trumper.
Big Ren
The Toronto Kid

Post by Big Ren »

DEF wrote:I took a huge hit today and ordered Blenheim and Eucris from Shoplondons. I went ahead and ordered both now so I could 1) get the free shipping, and 2) beat the rumored upcoming price increases from Trumper.
In other words, you had to spend money in order to save money. :D

Ren
"What I find ironic is the fact that we can talk wireless to a man on the moon but we can't talk to someone twenty feet away over a hard-wired intercom at a drive-thru!" - Pottydoctor
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Well, there are really only two seasons here; eight months of 'summer' and four months of 'non-summer'. However, I lived more then half my life in a real place, with real seasons, and I have played this game in my head. It's difficult, but let me give it a try.
Autumn: Trumper's Spanish Leather & Taylor's Sandalwood ( or BB 1818 )

Winter: Floris No 89 & D R Harris's 'His'

Spring: Penhaligon's English Fern & SMN Russian Cologne

Summer: Taylor's No 74 Victorian Lime & Atkinsons/Trumper's Lavender Water

There are other good choices I could have gone with, of course, but this will do.
Regards,
Gordon
DEF

Post by DEF »

Big Ren wrote:In other words, you had to spend money in order to save money. :D

Ren
Actually, this is very true. Shoplondon's shipping costs are $6 for orders under $99, and free for orders $99 and up. The Blenheim is (gulp) $90, which means I would have padded my order with a $9 Roger & Gallet bath soap, which I really didn't need or want. So, in a way, that would have been $9 "wasted." Then, I'd turn around next month (I'm on a monthly allowance) and buy the Eucris at $55 and end up paying another $6 for shipping -- bringing the wasted total to $15. Then, assuming for the sake of argument a 15% increase in Trumper's prices (though who really knows), that would have added another $8.25 -- bringing the total to $23.25 in wasted funds -- or 16% of the $145 that I went ahead and spent this month. (If you ever need to engage my services to help get you out of a jam with SWMBO, just let me know. I can even do Excel and PowerPoint.)

Take care,
Doug
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Or Ren, you could have gotten that $9 soap for just $3, and explain the money you saved by spending a little more. LOL

Sam
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

I don't have much expertise or many colognes, but if I didn't rotate them like I do now and were to sort them into seasons this would be it:

Winter: Floris Santal, Floris 89, Black Code
Spring: Floris Cefiro
Summer: 1805, Cefiro
Fall: Floris Special 127, Santal
Richard
stbdtack

Post by stbdtack »

Fall:
Trumper's Eucris
Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet

Winter:
Knize Ten
Penhaligon's Douro

Spring:
Floris Special No 127
Trumper's Spanish Leather

Summer:
Trumper's Eau de Portugal
Atkinson's Lavender Water

Of course, I don't stick to this -- and it was hard to limit this to two per. . .
--Pat Thayer
Living well is the best revenge.
DEF

Post by DEF »

Sam wrote:Or Ren, you could have gotten that $9 soap for just $3, and explain the money you saved by spending a little more. LOL

Sam
That would be true if I really wanted the soap, but I didn't. I did want both the Blenheim and the Eucris, though, and planned to buy one this month and one the next. I still think 60 days from now, I'll be better off, having ensured 1) that every dollar went toward something I really wanted, 2) that I didn't pay shipping, and 3) that I hedged my bets against anyrumored price increase.. It's mostly a matter of the timeframe you choose to make the decision. Come to think of it, there ought to be a way to justify buying everything I'd ever want right now. The key probably lies in assigning a monetary value to deferred enjoyment. I'll get right to work on that (as Microsoft Excel launches in the background)... :lol:

Doug
Dave_D

Post by Dave_D »

Warm Days:
Dior Eau Sauvage
St Johns Bay Rum
Guerlain Vetiver

Cool Days:
Creed Bois du Portugal
L'Artisan Voleur de Roses
Floris Santal

And a few others that shall remain nameless.
yourmando

Post by yourmando »

Sam wrote:On the way, and a year round one: Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque
Sam, where did you get your bottle? (My Neiman's will have it any day now, as September is when it becomes part of SL's "export" line.)

Armando
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

I'm bumping this old thread because I think it's a fun exercise and because there have been a number of questions (including some from me) lately about seasonal fragrances. Besides, based on reading SOTD and other posts, I'm guessing some of the gents here might change their lists today.

My list is below, and it is based on admittedly limited experience. I have others that are on a wish list and that I have sampled that might make the list once they're in hand, but my choices are based on what I have on hand right now.

Spring: Musgo Real No. 2 (Oakmoss); Hoyt's

Summer: Taylor No. 74 Victorian Limes; Atkinson's English Lavender (love this stuff)

Autumn: Taylor Mr. Taylor; Taylor Sandalwood

Winter: GFT Spanish Leather; Harris Sandalwood (technically an aftershave; drier, heavier and richer than Taylor but similar notes)

English Fern would easily supplant Hoyt's if I had a bottle, but I like them both for similar reasons: lavender is there, but there's so much complexity surrounding it that they aren't really lavender colognes; just spring scents. Trumper Violets might find its way onto the list if I had some, too. My wife would probably want Creed GIT on the list, but she'll settle for the Musgo Real No. 2.

I don't really wear things strictly on the basis of season, right now anyway, but it's an appealing idea, and a great thread. I look forward to reading what everyone else has to say.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Oh another agony topic. Damn it.

Summer:
Creed Virgin Island Water
Annick Goutal Sables

Autumn:
Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur
Knize Ten

Winter:
Fumerie Turque
Cuir de Russie (Creed or L T Piver)

Spring:
Guerlain Eau de l'Hégémonienne
Green Irish Tweed
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
GregPQ

Post by GregPQ »

Bargepole wrote: Spring:
Guerlain Eau de l'Hégémonienne...
Michael, I've followed your posts with glee and awe for quite a while, so I do recognize that you know your subject matter. But I have never heard of this one...is this something they keep under the counter at 68, ave des Champs-Elysees?

A fan,
Greg
Fiat lux, et facta est lux. Que la lumière soit, et la lumière fut. Let there be light, and there was light.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Just for the hell of it, here's another possible list.
Autumn; Trumpers Spanish Leather and Taylors Sandalwood

Winter; Floris No 89 and Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet or Creed Bois du Portugal

Spring; Penhaligon's English Fern and Trumpers Marlborough

Summer; Taylors No 74 Lime and Trumpers Eau de Portugal

There are a number of other possibilities, but these were the first ones that popped into my head.
Regards,
Gordon
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

yourmando wrote:
Sam wrote:On the way, and a year round one: Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque
Sam, where did you get your bottle? (My Neiman's will have it any day now, as September is when it becomes part of SL's "export" line.)

Armando
Sorry, I never saw this. I ordered it directly from Lutens, in the Bell jar, two actually, and had it shipped to me via someone in Europe.

Now, here is my lineup

Winter: Lutens Chergui

Summer: Creed GIT or MI

All year: Still Fumerie Turque

Fall and Spring and maybe summer: Andy Tauer's L'Air du Desert Morocain