Trumper colognes

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Trumper colognes

Post by Sam »

I am thinking of a kickaround, Saturday morning or Sunday afternoon scent, and since I have an order coming, thinking of Trumpers. My preferences are for something that is not close to the skin, but projects, and lasts longer than usual. I dont like heavy on the vanilla, or powder, or vetiver.

Here are ones that I am considering:

GFT
Marlborough
Fern
Sandalwood
Maybe Astor, I dont know

Can someone comment on any of these?

Sam
sousy

Re: Trumper colognes

Post by sousy »

Sam wrote:GFT
If you want to avoid 'powder', I might not choose GFT - it does dry down into a somewhat powdery scent, and really doesn't "project" well, if that's a criteria.

(OTOH, I've cracked into my first bottle of Trumper Sandalwood, and learned that you need to be a bit more careful with it than GFT - I think I'm "projecting" a bit much for my tastes at the moment..)
Regards,

Chad
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Chad, tell me about the Sandalwood. That may be my first choice followed by Fern or Marlborough

Sam
Ben

Post by Ben »

I found Astor to be very nice upon application, but the drydown, in my opinion, was too soapy. I vastly prefer Eucris.
Hell-bent ... hell-bent for Feather!

"As your attorney, I advise you to take a hit out of the little brown flask in my shaving kit."
— Dr. Gonzo, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

Ben, before I forget, shana tova!

Jeff (Yehudah)
sousy

Post by sousy »

Sam wrote:Chad, tell me about the Sandalwood. That may be my first choice followed by Fern or Marlborough

Sam
I bought the Sandalwood following a sample, where I was a bit more careful.

My impressions so far:

Sandalwood goes on as a somewhat sweet-smelling cologne. Here's what is listed on basenotes as the "notes" of the cologne:

Top Notes
Bergamot, Lemon, Lavender, Clary Sage, Spice Notes,

Middle Notes
White Jasmine, Carnation, Geranium, Rose ,

Base Notes
Sandalwood, Patchouli, Amber, Vanilla, Leather

The first impression is immediately a sweet note that seems to focus on the floral characteristics with a bit of the spice. There is a background of the woody/leather smell that you also notice. The vanilla-ish scent also comes out with the florals.

After a bit of dry down, I'm noticing less of the 'sweetness' and more of the bottom notes of the Sandalwood, Patchouli and Leather. (Of course, this is from my nose.) I like this cologne with a bit of wear - it's almost too 'sweet' for my nose immediately. There isn't much 'green' mixed in to this one to my nose, either - if the fern/green type scent is what you're looking for.

The layers of the floral with the wood/leather make this a very interesting cologne - it's a very balanced mix, you don't note one as being particularly stronger at the expense of another.

I am finding that the scent is notably stronger than GFT: this is one that you don't want to 'bathe in'.

There have been posters here that claim it to be a formal cologne, but I guess I don't feel that it projects a 'formal' type of scent, but that's just me. (Whereas Eucris screams 'tuxedo'.) My mental image is 'shirt and tie or casual suit' rather than what I would consider to be a weekend scent - but I suppose that depends on the other things you wear during the week.

A bonus: Robert at the Gentleman's Shop was very good to work with and he included a few samples of Trumper colognes. A quick run-down of the other two I experimented with:

Eucris: To my nose, a very sharp, 'formal' scent. I haven't worn it 'normally' yet, but the sample I applied to my arm was very prominent - and actually somewhat pleasant after a short amount of wear.

Eau de Portugal: This scent can't possibly offend anyone. A 'sporty' style scent, but very, very light. This is one that would seem impossible to over-apply.
Regards,

Chad
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Ok, it is now down to Sandalwood, Fern and Marlborough

Here are things I have gathered

Sandalwood: Very masculine and the longest lasting of the three. I am worried about how it smells. Someone said it is similar to Chanel Egoiste. The price for 1.7 ounces would be about $45, so that is not bad.

Marlborough: Good fall and winter scent, maybe the 2nd longest lasting and also a stronger scent. May be soapy like Spanish leather can be, which might be bad,

Fern: Given how expensive Penhaglions are now, the Fern was said by Gordon to be like Penhaglions version. $48 for 3 ounces is palatable.

So, still desiring comments on these three. Thanks men
Edit/Delete Message
sousy

Post by sousy »

Sam wrote:Marlborough: Good fall and winter scent, maybe the 2nd longest lasting and also a stronger scent. May be soapy like Spanish leather can be, which might be bad,
If it helps, the Gentleman's shop is offering 25% off on Marlborough.

http://gentlemans-shop.co.uk/acatalog/t ... logne.html
Regards,

Chad
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Also, is the sandalwood similar in respects to Obsession? I was thinking of Armani Code, or Dolce and Gabbana Pour Homme (too vanilla on the drydown) since either Wife or Daughter liked one, but I wore the heck out of Obsession.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Chad: That is so tempting

Sam
PonyPlayer

Post by PonyPlayer »

Sam,

If you have a chance you might want to check out Gucci Envy for men. Very similar to the sandalwood in my opinion and less expensive.

Patrick
"Bart, a woman is like beer. They look good, they smell good, and you'd step over your own mother just to get one!"

- Homer Simpson
ksteryous

Post by ksteryous »

Sam wrote:Also, is the sandalwood similar in respects to Obsession? I was thinking of Armani Code, or Dolce and Gabbana Pour Homme (too vanilla on the drydown) since either Wife or Daughter liked one, but I wore the heck out of Obsession.
In my opinion, no. Obsession is a much stronger, harder to stomach type scent. I've got all three that you're considering, and the Marlborough and Sandalwood last longer than the Wild Fern, however the Wild Fern is my favorite scent. It is indeed very, very close to Penh. English Fern and the better price makes Wild Fern preferable to me. It would be hard to go wrong with any of these scents, as I like them all very much, and who knows, the Wild Fern may last longer on you than it does me...just the way things go.

By the way, mind if I ask where you're getting the prices you quoted? I've not found them that cheap here in the US...maybe I haven't looked hard enough.

Thanks,
Kenton
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I looked at the Gentlemens Shop. I went ahead and placed my order without deciding on one, as I was getting an order already and was gonna put it in a throwin. I think Robert is going to send me some Trumper samples, but to be honest, it was about 2 or 3 years ago that I smelt Trumper when I got all the samples from Trumper directly. Some were great, some pleasant and some not my cup of tea, but I was not really looking. So maybe Ill place a separate order or who knows. I just feel that for the money, I could get a better made and smelling Trumper than something at the department store. I was torn between Sandalwood and Marlborough for this fall or year-round.

Sam
sousy

Post by sousy »

Sam wrote:I looked at the Gentlemens Shop. I went ahead and placed my order without deciding on one, as I was getting an order already and was gonna put it in a throwin.
So, to be less confused - you ordered Sandalwood and Marlborough?
Regards,

Chad
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I ordered no cologne. I can either, if I decide on one, email Robert to send me a separate bill for a cologne and include it with my order. Or I can see if he sends samples and then smell them myself and order later, or even contact Trumper for samples. It just was so appealing to throw another cologne in with my order, as the incremental shipping cost might have been $1, and since with the prices he charges, they are much less than stateside, and in the $45 to $55 range which, for 3.4 ounces, is cheaper than a lot of department store scents

sam
sousy

Post by sousy »

Sam wrote:with the prices he charges, they are much less than stateside, and in the $45 to $55 range which, for 3.4 ounces, is cheaper than a lot of department store scents
I agree with this - his prices on Trumper products beat any of the stateside vendors I know of. (Plus, he threw in those travel brochures that aren't a good thing to send to parents of young kids.... ah, to travel.)
Regards,

Chad
Ray

Post by Ray »

I purchased the GFT Fern after using a sample I also have a sample of the Penhaglions Fern and actually preferred the GFT Fern over the Penhaglions Fern. My next choice is the Leather, my wife actually liked the Royal but it’s been difficult to find.
A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval. Mark Twain
MOSES

Post by MOSES »

Likewise on the GFT over Pen, I think.
Alrighty, stickim up and hand over the Coates real nice and slow like....
kd7kip

Post by kd7kip »

I was going to order GFT Wild Fern from The Gent's Shop, but they're out of stock currently. (Since my wife more or less made me sell my new bottle of Ajaccio Violets earlier this week, I feel I need a replacement).

I certainly appreciate all the insights into GFT colognes-- I've learned far more about EDCs here than I have about shaving!

-Scott
Dumb as a stump and twice as ugly...
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I was leaning to the Fern as Gordon had it I think either in the top 10 all time what-a-man should own scent or his own top 10. Marlborough and Sandalwood would be long lasting and GFT would be better I think come Spring. Royal was a shot but TGS does not carry it. If you find that TGS gets some Fern in and you get some, let me know. Maybe we can combine an order. That assumes I have not gotten off into another kick by then

Sam