What are your must own Colognes?

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
DaveInPhilly

Post by DaveInPhilly »

Hm, seeing as Guerlain's Vetiver is the most owned scent over at Basenotes I am very surprised that no one has mentioned it here.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I own a number of aftershaves and colognes but my only 'must haves' are the Sandalwood scents from Taylors or Trumpers.

Regards,
Squire
MOSES

Post by MOSES »

DaveInPhilly wrote:Hm, seeing as Guerlain's Vetiver is the most owned scent over at Basenotes I am very surprised that no one has mentioned it here.
I'm just surprised that anything with Vetiver is a most owned. Even though I realize that the Guerlain is not that "vetivery." I think I like L'Occitane better, but really want to try Floris.

Right now, my only "must own" is C&E sandlewood. I don't know that I would pick it for myself, but it is a must own for those quite comfortable evenings at home, because my girlfriend just loves it.

-Mo
Alrighty, stickim up and hand over the Coates real nice and slow like....
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Oh lord. "Must have" as opposed to "DO have"? Even so it's a bit embarrassing:

Caron Tabac Blond
Guerlain MOuchoir de Monsieur
Guerlain Jicky
Caron Coup de Fouet
Caron Bain Royal de Champagne
Caron Pour un Homme
Caron Poivre
Caron Yatagan
[as you can tell, I'm an Ernest Daltroff fan]
Angel for Men
Chanel Egoïste
Chanel Gentleman
Trumpers' Spanish Leather
Trumper's Skye
Amouage
Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan
Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Route de Vetiver
L'Artisan Parfumeur Voleur du Rose
L'Artisan Parfumer Eaud de Navigateur
Santa Maria Novella Cuba
Santa Maria Novella Muschio
Santa Maria Novella Peau d'Espagne
Santa Maria Novella Acqua di Colonnia Russa
Annick Goutal Sables
Annick Goutal Hadrien
Annick Goutal Eau du Sud
Penhaligon Hammam (original)
Penhaligon Bluebell
Penhaligon Elizabethan Rose
Penhaligon English Fern
Creed Green Irish Tweed
Creed Royal English Leather
Creed Himalaya
Creed Erolfa
Creed Cuir de Russie
Creed Tabarome Original
Creed Tabarome Millessime
Guerlain Vol de Nuit
Guerlain Coriolan (not much left)
Blue Stratos
Old Spice
Tabac
Trumper Ajaccio Violets
and of course Guerlain Eau Hegemonienne

But I mean to say that's the bare minimum what, eh? what? I mean dash it a chap can't go around smelling like a dashed cowboy doncherknow.

(The Second Division list is MUCH longer.]

:? [/i]
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Yep, Michael, you're in the right place....sigh....The Dr Peter of fragrances (chuckle )....even aside from the staggering length of the list, the Yatagan would be a give away. Only serious fragrance junkies are into that one.
Regards,
Gordon
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

I forgot...

Post by Bargepole »

... Caron Nuit de Noël
Eau Lente
L T Piver Cuir de Russie

Oh dear.

---\Michael
DEF

Post by DEF »

bernards66 wrote:Yep, Michael, you're in the right place....sigh....The Dr Peter of fragrances (chuckle )....even aside from the staggering length of the list, the Yatagan would be a give away. Only serious fragrance junkies are into that one.
Regards,
Gordon
It's interesting that Michael's list contains both Yatagan and SMN Cuba, as I have recently seen the two mentioned in proximity elsewhere -- I can't recall if they were mentioned as smell-alikes, or simply as two aggressive, idiosyncratic fragrances. I want to like Yatagan, but there's one particular sharp note in there that puts it off for me. I also was quite interested in sampling SMN Cuba, but I've seen many negative reactions to that one. Still, I may send for a sample vial of Cuba, as there are several other SMN fragrances I'm interested to try -- Opoponax, Peau d'Espagne, Amber, and Sandalwood. (Lafco NY charges $2.50 per vial for SMN samples.)

As for my own must-haves, some of them can be found in this thread.

Doug
reginald-van-gleason

Post by reginald-van-gleason »

Doug, I've tried the SMN aqua di cuba, and it has some INCREDIBLE staying power -- I'm talking a couple of days. Notes of leather, tobacco, burnt rubber tire and gasoline. I've also heard other SMF members describe it as having a hint of urine and rotting garbage -- though I didn't pick up those notes! Sorry to conjur up those images.

And yet, there was something about it that I found, well, intriguing -- when I first tried it. Not enough to purchase it mind you, but certainly enough to give it some consideration. Somehow, the dry down just didn't work for me, and well, the staying power is ridiculous. In the end, I passed, deciding it was too weird, not to mention expensive.
Last edited by reginald-van-gleason on Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Raffi, Pretty much my take on that one also. Santa Maria Novella colognes are most definately their own thing. No one can deny that it's a unique line. Their more potent examples are just too much for me, although they're interesting, in and of themselves. I do like their "Russian Cologne", their Imperial Lavender, and a couple other of the lighter ones.
Regards,
Gordon