What are your must own Colognes?

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
DaveInPhilly

What are your must own Colognes?

Post by DaveInPhilly »

Alright, I am pretty well accomplished in the area of shave creams and razors. So now its time to move on to Colognes. Pretty much since high school all I have worn is CK Eternity, with some other odd ones thrown in there from time to time (right now I also have Polo Blue and Black). Now in an effort to round out certain parts of my life to portray a more mature image I would like to start trying out new scents.

I have done bit of research on Basenotes and a bit more here and there.

According to the main page over there the most owned cologne is Vetiver by Guerlain. From my readings around here I have noticed that Floris 89 is very popular, as is Aqua Di Parma.

My question to you folks is, what would you suggest as being the backbone of a good collection? Particularly, something for buisness, something for a more formal evening out, and maybe something more sporty for a less formal evening out and about at the clubs/ bars.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

My must haves:

Trumper Eucris
Trumper Spanish Leather
Pecksniff Oriental Woody
Taylor's No74 Victorian Limes
Taylor Sandalwood
L'Artisan Parfumeur Voleur de Roses
L'Artisan Parfumeur Verte de Violette
L'Artisan Parfumeur Vetiver
Floris No89
Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Mine include:

Floris Vetiver
Floris Santal
Hermes Eau D'Orange Verte
Penhaligons Fern
Penhaligons Castile
Trumpers Spanish Leather
Taylors Victorian Lime
Guerlain L'Instant
Crown Perfumery Spiced Limes
Coche_y_bondhu
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Coche_y_bondhu »

Hello Dave,

Good question. My must own list:

Floris Santal (business, everyday wear)
Floris Cefiro (business, everyday wear)
Penhaligon's Opus 1870 (formal evening)
T&H 1805 (business, everyday wear)
Czech & Speake No. 88 (less formal evening)

Cheers,
Richard
Plano TX
ksteryous

Post by ksteryous »

My Must haves:

Penhaligon's English Fern
Trumper Wild Fern (just like EF, only different)
Pecksniff's Fougere
Trumper Marlborough
Taylor's No74 Victorian Limes

The Pecksniff's is a little dressier in my opinion, but I wouldn't hesitate to wear it to work if I was in the mood to. It is also faintly reminiscent of Polo Green to me, however not even close in terms of class. The Pecksniff's is so much more classy and pleasant.

Kenton
reggiano

Post by reggiano »

Creed Green Irish Tweed- this is a very versatile fragrance-works in all instances
Knize Ten- good for business or formal evenings (in moderation!)
Chanel Egoiste- romantic evenings
Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet- serious business meetings

More niche-y:

MPG Santal Noble
Diptyque Tam Dao

2 great sandalwood frags- the Santal Noble is sweeter
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Dave, It's important to understand, I think, that scent is a very personal thing, and that there is no substitute for direct experiance. No one else can really tell you which scents you will/should like or wear. We can only tell you which scents we prefer, or think are superior. There is, however, a more objective distinction, I think in regard to basic quality vs. mega-mass produced dept. store fare. But, in the end, you'll have to go here and there, and sniff and spritz. Personally, if I had to pare it down to a more reasonable collection, I would be quite content with:
Trumper's Spanish Leather
Trumper's Fougena
Floris No 89
Taylor's No 74 Limes ( Royal Yacht )

Regards,
Gordon
kd7kip

Post by kd7kip »

My modest collection:

Trumper's Spanish Leather (cool weather)
Trumper's Portugal (warm weather)
Trumper's Wild Fern (any weather)

I will be buying one of the Penhaligon "scent libraries" soon, as I'm very interested in trying Blenheim Bouquet and Hammam Bouquet, among others.

-Scott
Dumb as a stump and twice as ugly...
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Here are my all time favorites:

Atkinson's Royal Briar
Atkinson's English Lavender
Penhaligon's English Fern or Trumper's Wild Fern
Penhaligon's Douro
Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet
Trumper's Spanish Leather
Trumper's Eucris
Trumper's Astor
Trumper's Curzon
Trumper's Extract of West Indian Limes
Crown's Park Royal
Taylor's No 74 Victorian Limes
Taylor's Mr. Taylor
Taylor's Sandalwood
And of course every now and then I enjoy some Old Spice.

Chris
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, So, you have some of the Atkinson's Royal Briar also, eh? I wondered if anyone else here was familiar with it. I don't wear it often, but it is around. I've heard that the original stuff, when Atkinsons were still an independent perfumer in London, was really something.
Regards,
Gordon
PaulSiegel

Post by PaulSiegel »

From my very limited experience id recommend these. i go to college so im not sure about approiateness for business or formal settings, but these stand out from the crowd.:

Penhaligon's Duoro (summer scent)
Taylor's Sandalwood
Taylor's St. James
Trumpers Bay Rum (winter scent)
Yves Saint Laurent M7

soon to be acquired:
Truefitt and Hill 1805/Spanish Leather/Freshman
Trumper's Curzon
Dolce and Gabbana Pour Homme
Sample of Anything by Santal, Guerlain, Creed

speaking of which has anyone gotten samples from the above mentioned firms? can anyone point me in a direction?

Paul
"There is more refreshment and stimulation in a nap, even of the briefest, than in all the alcohol ever distilled."

-Ovid
Stauff

Post by Stauff »

I'm a very humble man -only four (incl. alcohol-based aftershaves):

-C&E sandalwood
-Acqua di Parma
-Speick AS splash
-Taylors St-James
Regards,
Frederik

'Alles Behaartsein ist tierisch. Die Rasur ist Abzeichen höherer Zivilisation' (Arthur Schopenhauer)
gruffydd3

Post by gruffydd3 »

My short list would be:

Floris No. 89
Trumper Eucris
" Marlborough
" GFT
" Portugal
" Wild Fern
" Spanish Leather
" Wellington
T & H Limes

Gordon,
I bought Atkinsons Royal Briar, but really didn't like it at all.

Rick
Timpac

Post by Timpac »

Since starting training at my new job a few weeks ago, I've finally been in a good situation for others to actually comment on cologne that I use, and I'm just gonna throw out Comme Des Garcones Man 2. Definitely find a sample and see if it works for you, 'cause it's really unique and sort of a love/hate kinda thing. But I get so many compliments on it, that it's now a permanent part of any collection I develop.
redstubble

Post by redstubble »

Gordon,

Is Trumper's Fougena still available?

Mike.
msandoval858

Post by msandoval858 »

In case you haven't noticed from the previous suggestions...

Trumper Spanish Leather!
Mike
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

bernards66 wrote:Chris, So, you have some of the Atkinson's Royal Briar also, eh? I wondered if anyone else here was familiar with it. I don't wear it often, but it is around. I've heard that the original stuff, when Atkinsons were still an independent perfumer in London, was really something.
Regards,
Gordon
Gordon,

Yes I do and it is one of my all time favorites. It smells really good on my person and I have been complimented on it many times. People (women in particular) say it smells very "manly". I actually have some of the original stuff in the very small travel bottle (which is still available from the beverly hills perfumery, who confirmed that it is the original from around 30 or 40 years ago). I've read the comments on basenotes regarding this stuff saying that the modern equivalent is lighter but to my nose they smell virtually the same. You do have some of the bottle to bottle variation that happens with stuff like this and that's normal but it's still pretty much the same to me. But as you know it's all in the olfactories of the beholder.

Chris
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, I'll opt to go with your opinion, to wit, that the stuff I have is just as good as the 'original'. There! I feel much better about it now. SMF can be so helpful.
Regards,
Gordon
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Glad I could be of help, Gordon. You know, when I read the note on basenotes.com I was very curious as to whether it changed or not. Finding the stuff at the BHP was really helpful. Their confirmation that it is the original stuff was also good for making the comparison. Once I recieved the little bottle I was pretty convinced that they were telling the truth because the label itself resembled the original labels (the Font and insignia resembled the original which was slightly different than the modern version). And of course the stuff smelled just like the bottle I had. And it is strong stuff too, at least to me. At the end of a long day I can still smell it on me and so can my wife. I think one could easily overapply it. So the idea that it was once stronger does seem strange to a degree but not entirely implausible. In the end though I could be completely wrong, but I guess even that really doesn't matter because what I have smells really good to me.

Just wanted to share my thoughts. Hope you found them helpful.

Chris
reginald-van-gleason

Post by reginald-van-gleason »

PaulSiegel wrote: speaking of which has anyone gotten samples from the above mentioned firms? can anyone point me in a direction?

Paul

See here:

http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11164

http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6528

----------

From my limited knowledge of colognes, here is what I currently keep in my stable:

Trumper's Spanish Leather (when I want to smell like grandpa - old school class)
Trumper's Eucris (evenings and formal wear)
Taylor's St. James (fresh oceanic scent - good for clubbin'/bar hopping)
Brooks Brothers 1818 (office or old money/power lunch)
Last edited by reginald-van-gleason on Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.