Best Sandalwood & Bay Rum.... Any opinions!

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

Ditto for Michelson's.
CharlottesvilleWetShaver

Post by CharlottesvilleWetShaver »

Now that I've tried a couple of bay rum brands, I can give an opinion, as I bought a bottle of Clubman this past weekend. I definitely prefer Master Bay Rum over Clubman, however the Clubman scent lingers longer, while the Master scent seems to go away after a few minutes (or perhaps I just don't notice it anymore, but others do). The Clubman brand smells "fake" to me, or perhaps more manufactured, whereas the Master has more of a barbershop scent, IMO. In addition, I think I am addicted to the Master Bay Rum scent, as I find myself splashing it on not only in the morning, but after I come home from work :)
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

CW, I keep several bottles of cologne in my desk drawer AT work. You will too ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
CharlottesvilleWetShaver

bernards66 wrote:CW, I keep several bottles of cologne in my desk drawer AT work. You will too ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
I've been thinking about doing that. However, I fear that if anyone ever saw my bottle of Bay Rum, they might get the wrong impression :)

- Zach
CharlottesvilleWetShaver

Stubble wrote:I think there is a big difference between the Clubman, Pinaud Bay Rum and the Masters. The Clubman has a scent of cloves in it, as the Masters does not. Also, the Clubman appears to have more of a brown tinge to it. Masters is more golden in color. Personally, I don't care for the clove scent in the Clubman. Although, many of the Bay Rums seem to have a clove scent to them. Masters and Stephans are very close, in scent, and have no clove. As was mentioned above, St. Johns is a very good Bay Rum, IMO.
I'm interested in trying the Stephan Bay Rum. Does anyone know if the scent lasts longer than Masters?
My name is Zach. Pleased to meet you.
Drummer

Post by Drummer »

I'm going to chime in on the Master Bay Rum as well - I love this stuff :D It’s a great compliment to QED Bay Rum soap, which I use just about exclusively anymore.

It's very satisfying to find a product that is pleasing, locally available, and inexpensive - it proves that one needn’t spend an excessive amount to enjoy a great shave!
Joe
freebird

Post by freebird »

CharlottesvilleWetShaver wrote:Now that I've tried a couple of bay rum brands, I can give an opinion, as I bought a bottle of Clubman this past weekend. I definitely prefer Master Bay Rum over Clubman, however the Clubman scent lingers longer, while the Master scent seems to go away after a few minutes (or perhaps I just don't notice it anymore, but others do). The Clubman brand smells "fake" to me, or perhaps more manufactured, whereas the Master has more of a barbershop scent, IMO. In addition, I think I am addicted to the Master Bay Rum scent, as I find myself splashing it on not only in the morning, but after I come home from work :)
I lucked out lol, I picked up a bottle of Masters Bay Rum yesterday, and really love the aroma. I also thought that it had worn off, (I had splashed a little on my wrist this morning) but it was still there. I think, at least in my case I just got accustomed to the aroma to where I didn't notice as much.
sparkchaser

Post by sparkchaser »

CharlottesvilleWetShaver wrote:
tonyespo wrote:
I have Clubman Bay Rum and it's not grayist or cloudy. Mine is dark brown. You may have a bad bottle.
Tony,

I seem to recall that the color of the Bay Rum AS at my barbershop is golden, just like Clubman Pinaud IMO. Is the Clubman Bay Rum the same color as the Pinaud? Not that all of this really matters that much as I am just going to have to go out and buy some of the Clubman Bay Rum :)
I'm in Lynchburg. Where is this barber located?
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

This is my favorite bay rum:

http://www.calantilles.com/catcframes/P ... prod59.htm

which I usually buy from Bonny Doon Farms. Goes great with Castle Forbes Lime ASB.
CharlottesvilleWetShaver

sparkchaser wrote:
CharlottesvilleWetShaver wrote:
tonyespo wrote:
I have Clubman Bay Rum and it's not grayist or cloudy. Mine is dark brown. You may have a bad bottle.
Tony,

I seem to recall that the color of the Bay Rum AS at my barbershop is golden, just like Clubman Pinaud IMO. Is the Clubman Bay Rum the same color as the Pinaud? Not that all of this really matters that much as I am just going to have to go out and buy some of the Clubman Bay Rum :)
I'm in Lynchburg. Where is this barber located?
Sorry for not responding sooner. The barber is in Crozet, VA, which is about 15 miles west of Charlottesville. I found out that they do use Masters Bay Rum. The shop is owned by an elderly gentleman whose daughter also works there. I think they both give great cuts. In addition, they use a straight for face shaves, but I have yet to get one.

I have now tried the Stephan's Bay Rum. I liked the scent at first, but now I don't enojy it as much. Its scent is not as spicy as Masters, more of a "fruity" flavor. It reminds me a little bit of the Clubman Bay Rum, but not as strong and the scent lasts only a few minutes.
My name is Zach. Pleased to meet you.
DigitalAlan

Post by DigitalAlan »

Just my two cents - I picked up a bottle of Clubman Bay Rum and I love the scent - it does seem to linger a lot longer then most other scents. Plus the GF loves the smell as well.

It reminds me of the old fashioned barbershop scent where I used to live. I miss walking down the street to the local barber.
DigitalAlan

Www.MerlinsTower.com - The Finer Things in life only Cheaper.
www.Dr-T.com - Dr Technology
www.CoolThingsToLookAt.com
www.JFFDJ.com - DJ Info Guide
www.DigitalCameraGear.com - How to Guide for Photography