Homemade Bay Rum Aftershave

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Loki

Homemade Bay Rum Aftershave

Post by Loki »

I stumbled upon this interesting recipe for making your own Rum Bay Aftershave.

Rum Bay is my favorite smell, so I'm always on the lookout for them. But if your into making homemade and natural products give this a try. I'm mixing up my first batch this weekend.

Basic Bay Rum Aftershave Formula

2-4 cups dried bay leaves (From your local natural food store)
A few sprigs of dried rosemary (optional)
Rum. I'm going to use Cruzan 2 Y/O Dark, which really is an amber.

Break the dried bay leaves in half. Fill a quart or pint mason jar with as many leaves as will fit to about 3 inches from the top. Add a few sprigs of dried rosemary, if desired. Add enough rum to come a good 2 inches above the leaves.
Screw on the cover, and let set for 1 month; strain.

Variation: Add a bit of grated organic orange peel, cloves, and ginger root, as desired.

I cant wait to give this a go...I'll make sure and sampe the rum as I go.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
jpolaski

Post by jpolaski »

That sounds excellent! Time to hit the package store :)
"The older I get, the more I realize I'm getting older."
tonyespo
The Goldfather

Post by tonyespo »

Many, many, many years ago I read on another shaving forum a story of how Bay Rum was made. It was said that is was made with real Rum whiskey. It was stated that the local barbers who gave straight razor shaves to the sailors used the Bay Rum as an antiseptic for the nicks they caused. They would dab some on the cut and give a glass full to the sailor to drink and numb the pain. They put Bay Leaves and spices on the Rum. I have told this story to a few people but I don't think anyone every believed this is how it all started.
Tony Espo ( Lover of Knize )
Go for the GOLD.

Through my will power I dare to do what I want.
prism

Post by prism »

I read the same thing Tony. It is how Bay Rum started. As for drinking it, well, that continued for quite some time. The stories of the Old Breed Marines getting drunk on it (and Aqua Velva !) during the Banana Wars in Central America are legendary! Vic
whiskers314

Re: Homemade Bay Rum Aftershave

Post by whiskers314 »

Loki wrote:I stumbled upon this interesting recipe for making your own Rum Bay Aftershave.

Rum Bay is my favorite smell, so I'm always on the lookout for them. But if your into making homemade and natural products give this a try. I'm mixing up my first batch this weekend.

Break the dried bay leaves in half. Fill a quart or pint mason jar with as many leaves as will fit to about 3 inches from the top. Add a few sprigs of dried rosemary, if desired. Add enough rum to come a good 2 inches above the leaves.

Variation: Add a bit of grated organic orange peel, cloves, and ginger root, as desired.

Hmmmm...I don't think you will find "bay rum" leaves at your local health food store, instead what you will find is Bay Laurus nobilis the cooking herb. If you use this you will smell like Italian Cuisine. What Bay Rum calls for is Bay Pimenta Racemosa , a totally different plant. Here are 2 recipes, one is for an aftershave the other is for a soothing aftershave butter or balm (which can also be used as a pre-shave, shave oil or after sun rub): http://howtogrowamoustache.com/category ... um-butter/
http://howtogrowamoustache.com/category ... ftershave/ Hope you find these useful! Cheers! :D
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Welcome, Whiskers! I love the fact that your first post is to correct an error from five years ago - you must have got quite annoyed as you waited for us to solve out captcha/spambot problems. You are completely correct about bay leaves vs the bay tree. Mind you, I like bay leaves too, I just put five in a pot roast.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
whiskers314

Post by whiskers314 »

drmoss_ca wrote:Welcome, Whiskers! I love the fact that your first post is to correct an error from five years ago - you must have got quite annoyed as you waited for us to solve out captcha/spambot problems. You are completely correct about bay leaves vs the bay tree. Mind you, I like bay leaves too, I just put five in a pot roast.

Chris
Hi, sorry if I offended you. 5years ago or not this forum pops up when searching bay rum recipes so I thought for new folks like me, I would answer the question. Hope it helps someone!
Cheers and sorry again
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

No offense at all - please feel free to dig up all the old errors you can find! Sorry if my amusement came across as criticism...

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

whiskers314 wrote:
Loki wrote:I stumbled upon this interesting recipe for making your own Rum Bay Aftershave.

Hmmmm...I don't think you will find "bay rum" leaves at your local health food store, instead what you will find is Bay Laurus nobilis the cooking herb. If you use this you will smell like Italian Cuisine. What Bay Rum calls for is Bay Pimenta Racemosa , a totally different plant. Here are 2 recipes, one is for an aftershave the other is for a soothing aftershave butter or balm (which can also be used as a pre-shave, shave oil or after sun rub): http://howtogrowamoustache.com/category ... um-butter/
http://howtogrowamoustache.com/category ... ftershave/ Hope you find these useful! Cheers! :D
Whiskers 314, good catch. I want to thank you for supplying these two links. This looks like maybe a worthwhile experiment sometime. Also, I want to say thanks for joining SMF, and welcome to the forum. Please continue searching the SMF pages and posting about the topics and issues that you find of interest.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
whiskers314

Post by whiskers314 »

Thanks Gary for the warm welcome! :D
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Good morning Whiskers, when I glanced at your post the other day I overlooked the fact you had just joined so welcome aboard.
Regards,
Squire
whiskers314

Post by whiskers314 »

Thanks Squire! Good to be here. Yes I am new...in fact, I did a quick poke around for a "new folks" intro forum but failed to find one. Am I blind? Thank you again guys! :D
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Not blind at all - we just don't have one. Generally new posters are recognised as such and welcomed when they make their maiden post, as has happened in this thread. Please feel welcome and stay as long as you like. We hope you have much to teach us, and you may learn a little from the accumulated wisdom here.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
whiskers314

Post by whiskers314 »

drmoss_ca wrote:Not blind at all - we just don't have one. Generally new posters are recognised as such and welcomed when they make their maiden post, as has happened in this thread. Please feel welcome and stay as long as you like. We hope you have much to teach us, and you may learn a little from the accumulated wisdom here.

Chris
Great! Thanks for having me! :)
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

Welcome to SMF Whiskers! I had no idea that bay leaves were a different variety than what's used in after shaves. Thanks for posting.
Last edited by Craig_From_Cincy on Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

Craig
whiskers314

Post by whiskers314 »

Craig_From_Cincy wrote:Welcome to Whiskers! I had no idea that bay leaves were a different variety than what's used in after shaves. Thanks for posting.

No problem Craig! It's a common misconception. Honest;y, I wish it was the same for the prices of bay rum leaves are astronomical! :D
I am really enjoying this forum thanks to the warm and welcoming folks such as yourself!
Cheers,
Douglas
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Rumor has it that Bay Rum was actually first used by sailers of old. Water to wash with was none too plentiful on board a sailing ship, but bay leaves in the caribbean were plentiful and smelled great when rubbed over their stinking bodies. Some sailer got the bright idea to steep leaves in rum, 'cause that's what they had, and bay rum was born.

The story about shaves and marines might be true, but it would be much later historically.

FWIW my first bay rum, before reformulation for national sales, was made with rum. There is no functional difference as far as the splash goes between using rum or rubbing alcohol. It's there as a solvent and a preservative. Once the alcohol is evaporated there is no residual rum smell.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
whiskers314

Post by whiskers314 »

ahh yes, I have heard this one too. very romantic. But I believe it was probably being used by the islanders long before the sailors showed up. :D
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

It's a matter of historical record.

A prerequisite to bay rum is rum. In order for the islanders to have made rum they would need metallurgical skills since a still isn't made from stone or shell. Which islanders had a thriving or even struggling smelting knowledge/industry? Or one that was even just emerging?
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
whiskers314

Post by whiskers314 »

ShadowsDad wrote:It's a matter of historical record.

A prerequisite to bay rum is rum. In order for the islanders to have made rum they would need metallurgical skills since a still isn't made from stone or shell. Which islanders had a thriving or even struggling smelting knowledge/industry? Or one that was even just emerging?
True. I should have been more clear. The islanders, were using the leaves as a medicine and rub on scent before the introduction of sugarcane and rum production. Once the islanders were working in the distilleries it would not be a huge step to add, what they already considered a medicinal leaf, to the rum and create an "elixer" or "tonic". This seems like a more evolutionary progression. Sadly, we may never know the true origin of bay rum but only left to speculate. :D