Bad Samples?

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
slipslope

Bad Samples?

Post by slipslope »

I just received a bunch of samples thank to the sticky in this forum. Thank you SMF! My question is: Is it possible to get a bad sample? as in mixed incorrectly so the smell is off. I just tried T&H Trafalgar and I was wondering if maybe the sample i received was bad. I cant believe someone would make a scent that smells like that.
NiksaNovovic

Post by NiksaNovovic »

Good morning slipslope! Scent is a very personal thing, I have found. The scent that I love, you might hate or vice versa. When I received my Trumper's and Floris sample packs the colognes where the first things that I smelled. I don't know if it was the day, or my mood, or what but they all smelled almost exactly the same! I was kind of disappointed! There they where in front of me, these supposedly great, classic English colognes and they all smelt the same! I put them aside, and came back to them a couple of days later and WOW! They where all different! I could small the subtleties, even tough I couldn't name them individually, but there where citrus notes, and spicy notes and woody notes and I was really amazed that I couldn't smell them before. I found that if you removed the cap with the little stick on it and waved it around a bit, the alcohol would evaporate and leave the actual scent much more distinct than smelling the sample bottle. All that said it is entirely within the realm of possibility that you may have gotten a bad sample. Those more knowledgeable than myself will surely come and straighten out any of my misconceptions!

Warmest regards, Niksa
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Niksa has a plausible explanation. Walk away for a few days and then revisit your samples. You may be surprised in a good way or bad way. Good luck.
ringo448

Post by ringo448 »

Slipslope...

Just curious, where did you get your variety of samples from?

Were you charged? How was your experience with each company?
DEF

Post by DEF »

And, specific to the Trafalgar, it is a distinctive scent. It has some jasmine in it and a top woody/cumin note.

Doug
reggiano

Post by reggiano »

Y'all are trying these on your skin, right? Smelling a fragrance out of the bottle is not a good indicator of the actual scent, which is designed to work with the heat of your skin and your body chemistry.
slipslope

Post by slipslope »

ringo448 wrote:Slipslope...

Just curious, where did you get your variety of samples from?

Were you charged? How was your experience with each company?
So far Ive received samples from Floris, Truefitt & Hill and Geo F Trumper (I had to pay 5$ for the Trumper) I sent an email to a few companies and the above companies have responded and sent a sample pack of colognes and creams. Floris I think has the best sample pack so far because u get some No. 89.
slipslope

Post by slipslope »

reggiano wrote:Y'all are trying these on your skin, right? Smelling a fragrance out of the bottle is not a good indicator of the actual scent, which is designed to work with the heat of your skin and your body chemistry.
Absolutely. I actually refuse to open any sample until i am ready to apply it before work or for a night on the town. When I tried the T&H Freshman I also disliked it at first but after it dries I really enjoyed it and the wonderful scent for me lasted throughout the day
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Never smell the bottle. All you'll get is alcohol, which will foul up your nose. If you don't want to put it on your skin, use what perfumers do: little paper strips (a bit of 3x5 index card is fine), then smell that.

Useful tip: for clearing your olfactory memory between smelling different scents, either sniff the inside of your own elbow, or smell a bowl of coffee beans.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

slip, While anything's possible, I think it highly unlikely that you got a 'bad' sample of Trafalgar. Especially since the others were okay. It's more likely that you just don't care for it. It's a fairly distinctive kind of scent, and not to my taste either.
Regards,
Gordon