Colonial Drug Fragrance Field Day!!!

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
drumana

Colonial Drug Fragrance Field Day!!!

Post by drumana » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:11 am

Well, I ambled down to Colonial Drug yesterday with SO in tow to keep me in check in terms of getting a good scent and not adding to my already substancial shave gear.

Cathy helped me out with my list of fragraces that I wanted to try. They don't carry the Floris Sandalwood or Vetiver which came recommended by many - and they don't carry Trumpers scents. I read a review about Trumper's Spanish Leather that really winked at me.

Oh well, there was about 1,000 other scents to try out!

I was surprised to not like any of the Vetivers. . .and I tried a bunch. I found them too perfumey. SO concurred. Cathy suggested a Haitian Vetiver which knocked my socks off, but not in a good way.

Creed Green Irish Tweed is an amazing scent, but too sweet for me to be wearing all day - but I can see why this is so popular. I also found Trufitt and Hill Spanish Leather too sweet, but intriguing enough that I might have to take a second wiff.

Slowly my pile of "no thanks" colognes and "yes please" colognes got more distinct. My olfactory senses satiated and overstimulated, I left with five samples to "live" with, as Cathy said. Her goes:

1.Bandit pour Homme - Roger Piguet
2.Lui - Roches
3.Terre de Hermes - Hermes
4.Jacomo de Jacomo - Jacomo
5.Lonach - Castle Forbes

I wore the Lonach for the rest of the day yesterday. I actually disliked it quite a bit at first - it smelled of plastic packaging to me. But it evolved and it peaked my interest enough to put it on for the remainder of the day. The verdict: smells great, really great - but not for me. It's a little too feminine. This left SO a little concerned - "It smells good, but I want you to smell like a man!" She's skeptical about the fragrance thing, but I'm assuring her I won't go with a scent that she doesn't approve of.

So far her favorite is the J Peterman scent, although she's only smelled it in the aftershave form. But I hear the cologne is nearly identical.

Today I'm going to roll with Terre de Hermes and see how that goes.

Cathy was extremely patient and pleasant to deal with. Very knowledgable, of course. She says a big, "Hi!!" to all the folks here at SMF.

Gordon - I relayed the question about that Cedarwood, and Cathy said it's on it's way but not there yet.

In terms of shave gear - new Plisson brushes and new razors with beautiful handles are on there way and should be in by the end of august.
I also left with samples of Tabac, Plisson Amber, and T&H unscented shave cream. Going T&H today and looking forward to it.

Allllllllright! Thanks for reading - if you got this far!
-Andrew-

salbev
Mr. Fidelity

Re: Colonial Drug Fragrance Field Day!!!

Post by salbev » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:43 am

drumana wrote: and they don't carry Trumpers scents. I read a review about Trumper's Spanish Leather that really winked at me.
C.O. Bigelow at the copley mall has trumper's spanish leather for the sniffing and/or buying...

drumana

Post by drumana » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:16 am

Just an update. Terre de Hermes:

I've heard this to be a masterpiece. I'm new to the cologne scene so I can't say, but, this is a fantastic scent!

At first, it's a little citrusy for my taste, but lucky for me that disappears quickly. I'm left with a woodsy, dry, dirty scent - perfect. This is what I'm looking for. Not too sweet or feminine, but overly masculine either. It's a refined masculine, yet not 'old man' masculine either. Well done.

Terre de Hermes transports me to somewhere else. If I close my eyes and just take it in I picture being in the deep woods somewhere in autumn. I can feel and smell the damp earth and the crisp dry air. I can sense the feeling of freedom and serenity when in the deep woods - feeling connected to it all.

There is also a wonderful contrast here for me. It evokes times of centuries past, yet is very modern at the same time. It evokes a rustic tree laden landscape, yet is also very urban somehow. Nice balance.

AND the SO likes it on me as well. This one is a winner for me.
-Andrew-

Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:25 am

Terre D'Hermes is one of my favorite modern scents. It's perfect for summer and can be worn by both young and old. Good choice!

Brett G
Viscount Krona

Post by Brett G » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:09 am

Terre D'Hermes is the only "modern" scent in my collection. I love the way it opens with orange and cedar. The dry down is also fantastic, very deep and earthy. The only thing that I don't like is the harsh middle which smells overly obnoxious to me. It's not a fragrance that I wear much but every so often I'll go with it for an evening out in the city.
Brett

drumana

Post by drumana » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:50 pm

Another update:

Jacamo de Jacamo - Hmmmmmmm. . . In the store it smelled like a smokey garage which I found just plain interesting. Tried it at home and found it to be heavy, dark and powdery. It was made in the 80's, and it kind of transports me to the 80's night club scene. Not that I was a part of it, I was just a wee lad back then.

Kind of a heavy depressing scent. . .

Anyways. . . I didn't particularly care for it and SO didn't care for it either. Thumbs down. Not a winner. I found myself craving the Terre de Hermes - so far my fav.

Three down - two to go.
-Andrew-

levente

Post by levente » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:30 pm

Andrew,

Re Jacomo: you hit it on the head about the 80's night club scene. Perhaps that is why I like it so much! It is a bit of a smokey, patchouli and spice bomb, perhaps not as gentlemanly as is preferred in these parts. It is one, though, that I would NEVER wear in anything but cool/cold weather, as it is just too heavy. (The Hermes works much better in the summer, from my experience. And while it is a fine contemporary scent, IMO it does not match Equipage or Bel Ami, its predecessors in the Hermes line.) I gather you are a bit younger, as is your spouse, but I generally receive positive feedback on this one. I find the younger set doesn't tend to like spicier fragrances , but you might wish to revisit this one in the fall.

BTW, I can already hear Gordon tsk tsking this suggestion, and strongly recommending that we stay away from those nasty "designer "scents. Although I have more than my fair share from Creed, Crown Perfumery, Penhaligon, Floris and Trumper, my tastes are way too catholic to limit myself to those lines. Also, I firmly believe that there are many fine designer scents, though most came out from the early 1950s until the 1980s, generally when the company focused on a certain aesthetic and not what its focus groups were telling it. For example, Lauder is widely disparaged today, and for good reason. Its recent scents are crap, put out to sell. Contrast that to the release many years ago of Lauder's JHL, the scent produced for Estee's husband. In other words, Lauder sold it because she LIKED it, not because she thought it would sell. You might not like it, but I believe you would be hard pressed to say that it is not a quality product. Likewise, the first Armani scent, Armani Eau Pour Homme, was a fragrance made for Giorgio himself, which he later sold to the public. It is excellent. The latter stuff (Mania, Code, et al) is generic, synthetic junk. I could go on for pages, but this is neither the time nor place. I'm glad you tried the Jacomo, even if it may not be for you. Keep an open mind.

Regards,
Basil

drumana

Post by drumana » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:27 pm

Basil

Yeah. . . I kinda want to stay away from designer scents. Maybe that's the wet shaver in me. I see Polo, and Cool Water, and blah blah blah as the fusions, mach 3, and aerosol shave cream of cologne. I could be incredibly naieve though - I probably am since this is my first foray into colognes. I'm 29 years old.

I'm having a tough time finding one I REALLY love. So far I do like the Terre de Hermes (is that a designer cologne. . .oh well) - it really takes me somewhere else. SO isn't thrilled by it though. She likes the J Peterman scent, as do I, and I probably will pick some up.

I'd like to get to the Copley mall this weekend and try the Trumpers Sandalwood and Spanish Leather. Maybe I can ferret out some of the famed Floris in there too, which Colonial Drug didn't carry.

I'm always open to suggestions, fellas, so if you got any don't hold back!
-Andrew-

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:38 pm

Basil, You're right about what I would say ( chuckle )...and you're also right that my tastes ARE pretty focused and specific. I also agree that any 'designer' scents that I could even be bribed into wearing are all from two or more decades ago. Eau Savage, if I had to, and there are a few more. I personally prefer old fashioned English colognes, not doubt about that. And that's really all I buy or wear today ( well, okay, there are a small number of Creed and SMN scents that I might buy again some time ). But even within those perimeters, that's still quite a number of choices...more then enough for me. I've paired down my cologne stash considerably in the last couple of years, and there's still plenty of bottles that sit around untouched for months on end.
Regards,
Gordon

levente

Post by levente » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:24 pm

Andrew,

Well, if you wanted to stay away from designer scents, you should have mentioned that to Cathy, as all the samples she gave you, save the Castle Forbes, are designer. And as an aside, there really isn't a Bandit Pour Homme. It may now be marketed as such, but when Bandit was created by famous nose Germaine Cellier back in the 1940s, it was for women, in EDP strength. The stuff marketed for men these days is the EDT, a little rougher around the edges perhaps, and a little less floral, but not a night and day difference from the original. Heck, you might even PREFER the original.

While you may be unsure of yourself at this stage, I'm actually a bit envious. There are so many great scents to explore out there, and you are just beginning your journey. That you are finding it hard to find a knockout scent shouldn't come as a surprise, but you already seem to know that sweet scents aren't for you. A good first step. And the fact that Terre d'Hermes transports you is a good sign, as it shows that you have the ability to connect to scent. Let us know how the search goes.

Gordon,

Nothing against your preferences, as I agree with all your selections in your (in)famous top ten list, and appreciate your knowledge. But I break with you in the characterization of some scents being unworthy because they are designer. I happen to prefer my distinction, as you might guess. Also, you may not be aware of this, but you seem to be quite influential around here, and some of the more unschooled may take your suggestions too literally. I fear that I will remain a reprobate, enjoying my high end colognes, but unable to resist the temptation to spend the night with some of my designer chippies.

Regards,
Basil

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:42 pm

Basil, Oh, that's okay. I don't hold your occasional relapses into the tawdry world of cheap thrills against you (chuckle ).....you are clearly a connoisseur at heart, and a good chap. Well, if some gents take my suggestions up, I think that's often for the best. Many just coming onto this forum don't know that the colognes I beat the drum for even exist, so it's often quite a new realm.....old fashioned really high quality gentlemen's scents. At least most of the 'designer' stuff, they are more or less aware of already.
Regards,
Gordon

levente

Post by levente » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:58 pm

Gordon,

You are absolutely correct regarding the general lack of knowledge about the high end British scents. Coming from a family where all of us (my parents as well as my four siblings) wouldn't leave the house unscented, I'm always a little surprised that people become curious about fragrance as adults. I'm into my fourth decade of curiosity, and my experience with British houses is what turned me on to the wet shaving experience way back when. With Penhaligon and Floris cutting back on their retail ventures across the country, and with Crown out of business, I fear the British houses will remain unknown.

Regards,
Basil

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:28 pm

Basil, Yes, I'm afraid you're right.....but we do what we can. Anyway, the quality would be impossible to maintain if they ever became TOO popular. But it is sad that here in America we now have maybe two whole generations of gents who have NEVER smelled a real quality cologne; have no idea that what they pick up in Nordstroms is usually cheap, industrially made sh-t. It's like the multi-blade cartridge thing....no idea that it's not really "the best a man can get" or that there even is any alternative. So, if a few guys can come on to SMF and while they're learning to shave better and more enjoyably, can also find out a little something about better quality colognes, then that's great, I think. Shoot, even on Basenotes, for several years, there was next to nothing on the top end old school English perfumers. D R Harris and Trumpers weren't even listed....there were about five reviews of Taylors scents, three of which were mine ( I don't usually post there, I just couldn't STAND it anymore! ). This is not true today, but it took a long time for these colognes to even show up there. Kind of made your point, I'm afraid.
Regards,
Gordon

levente

Post by levente » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:11 pm

Gordon,

Doubly strange that the Brit scents weren't on Basenotes considering that the founder, Grant Osborne, is an Englishman.

Regards,
Basil

drumana

Post by drumana » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:18 am

Another update:

Tried the Lui and Bandit pour homme fragrances and was not impressed by either of them. I've discovered that I do not like any vanilla in my fragrances. It smells too feminine to me and reminds me of perfumes that girlfriends in high school wore.

Both the Lui and Bandit are OK, but nothing special to speak of. Kind of generic smelling. They were both long lasting, especially the Lui - but both sort of powdery and sweet smelling. The Lui had the vanilla basenote that I didn't care for.

But. . . I did walk away with a winner. Terre de Hermes. It's crisp, clean, woody and inoffensive. . . and my girl likes it on me.
-Andrew-

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:58 am

Andrew, Well, FWIW, I thought that and the CF's were by far the best of the lot, from the list you originally posted. It's a pity, really, that Cathy doesn't stock the Trumper colognes, or Harris's, or, as far as I know, Taylors. One would kind of assume that they would. Cambridge Chemists in NYC has all of them, and some Czech & Speake and SMN to boot. Keep looking.
Regards,
Gordon

drumana

Post by drumana » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:57 pm

Gordon

The Castle Forbes comes in second of that bunch. I found myself putting it on the other night. It's good but not as good as Terre de Hermes - completely different. My next time at Colonial Drug I plan on trying more Castle Forbes if they have it. . .I do see why you like the English colognes over the designer colognes. A lot of the designer stuff just all smells the same to me - not great.

Andrew
-Andrew-

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:11 pm

Andrew, Yeah, that's about it, in a nutshell. I think that Louis Boston carries some of the good old school stuff. Worth giving them a call anyway.
Regards,
Gordon

salbev
Mr. Fidelity

Post by salbev » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:03 am

bernards66 wrote:Andrew, Yeah, that's about it, in a nutshell. I think that Louis Boston carries some of the good old school stuff. Worth giving them a call anyway.
Regards,
Gordon
Gordon, this one impressed me. :shock: how on earth did you know that? a tip of the 'finest' to you, sir.

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:44 am

Sal, ( chuckle ) oh, I have my ways, my sources.....I've been ferreting around for this stuff for ages, remember.
Regards,
Gordon