That Neroli One

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
pdx

That Neroli One

Post by pdx »

Can someone give me information on "That Neroli One" by Penhaligon? There is some for sale on the trading forum, but I don't see it described anywhere.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

pdx. It's called 'Castile'. It was originally introduced around 2000 or so, as a specialty scent for the Holidays, in a largish fancy bottle. I guess that it was popular enough that they brought it out as a regular scent a year or two later. It's sold as a kind of 'unisex' affair, in the sense that Floris No 127 is. It does have a marked neroli note in it. Neroli is an EO made from the flowers of the bitter orange tree. It's not easy to describe, if you've never smelled any; citrus-like, but with a bit of sweetness and depth.
Regards,
Gordon
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Gordon, actually that's a good description of Castile.
pdx

Castile

Post by pdx »

Gordon,
Thanks for the description. I take it you are not particularly fond of the newer Penhaligon scents>
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

pdx, Personally, no, I'm not. However, there have been a few more recent ones that I liked well enough. For awhile, they offered a group of six colognes that they called their 'English Classics', and while they may have been based on scents originally made by William Penhaligon, they were, in another sense, more recent creations. I liked most of those, and the 'Lavende' was the nicest gentlemen's lavender water that I've ever worn. And, I don't dislike Castile either, although it's a tad too 'feminine' for my personal taste....but it's a nice cologne, and I know at least one man of taste who is just nuts for it.
Regards,
Gordon
levente

Post by levente »

pdx,

Can't speak for Gordon, but I much prefer the older Penhaligons. That being said, I think Castile is the best of their newer ones, somewhat reminiscent of Parfums de Nicolai's Cologne Sologne, though somewhat sweeter. For a more commonly available neroli, you might want to try L'Oranger Neroli by L'Occitane, which is an EDP strength, at least to get a feel for what neroli smells like. The L'Occitan is a much denser version of neroli than the Castile, and ultimately more feminine, but it is not a bad place to start.

Regards,
Basil