Received Floris Sampler: my thoughts...

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Teuton

Received Floris Sampler: my thoughts...

Post by Teuton »

I received my Floris sampler about 2 weeks ago. Great customer service. I like to try a cologne for longer than 2 days so I have only tried 3 so far but here are my thoughts...

Floris Elite: Not my kind of scent, dries down much nicer than when first on but still too brutish and old man for my tastes.

Floris JF: Not bad when first applied but after 10 minutes smells "to me" just like Polo Sport. Didn't care for it that much.

Floris Limes: I'm a huge fan of this scent when first applied and would buy a bottle if it didn't wear off within 5 minutes. Literally, I apply it to my wrists and neither my gf or I can smell it withitn a few minutes. Too bad.

I still have Santal, Vetiver, and 89. to try even though I cheated and tried the 89. the first day. I will wear it for a longer period of time and share my thoughts.
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Santal, Sandalwood, Vetiver and Special 127 are my favorites. I did not care for #89. Limes is too short lived.
CK

Post by CK »

Santal is my favorite of all scents
Charlie
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Teuton, Rather fun, ain't it? Lots of interesting stuff still out there, once one knows where to look. Of the current Floris scents, No 89 is really the only one I wear. No 127 is also nice stuff, but it's really more for my wife when we have any around. But they certainly offered some in the past that I liked a good deal, including a more 'masculine' version of both Lime and Lavender. Also that great 'Floris Gentleman's Cologne', that Texas Richard still has a little of.....really nice stuff, that.
Regards,
Gordon
Teuton

Post by Teuton »

I tried Santal today and I don't mind it. It's better and more modern than the other scents yet still very masculine. Some compare it to Gucci Envy but I think it actually smells much much subtle and refined - you can tell it's a higher quality cologne.

I think it's going to be between Vetiver and Santal.

I will keep you guys posted.
Teuton

Post by Teuton »

Tried the 89. while an ok frag nothing special in my books.

Vetiver is the winner. Without a doubt the nicest smelling cologne for me in the Floris lineup.

It's sharp, soft, masculine, dark and not too spicy.

Really wonderful, will wear it for a week and if I still like it I will buy a bottle.
water

Post by water »

I recently received a sample package from Floris as well.

I agree that the Vetiver is superb. I also like the Elite.

As I have said before the Floris No.89 smelled fantastic but lasted maybe an hour before disappearing completely. I thought that maybe I just lost trace of it but my wife confirmed it had left without even a goodbye.

Post by bernards66 »

James, Weird, but there's that personal body chemistry factor again. On me, No 89 last for hours, and doesn't vary much either, once the top notes have gone.
Regards,
Gordon
levente

Post by levente »

bernards66 wrote:Teuton, Rather fun, ain't it? Lots of interesting stuff still out there, once one knows where to look. Of the current Floris scents, No 89 is really the only one I wear. No 127 is also nice stuff, but it's really more for my wife when we have any around. But they certainly offered some in the past that I liked a good deal, including a more 'masculine' version of both Lime and Lavender. Also that great 'Floris Gentleman's Cologne', that Texas Richard still has a little of.....really nice stuff, that.
Regards,
Gordon
Gordon,

Are you referring to the Floris Original Gentleman's Cologne that is a neroli based scent? If so, that is a good one. I have a small bottle I've been nursing the last few years.

Regards,
Basil
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Basil, Yep, that's the one. To me, it opens a little like No 89, snd then fades into something akin to Trumpers Royal, but more subtle and nicer. Richard said that he didn't get the No 89 connection, though, although he did agree regarding the certain connection to the GFT Royal. BTW, do you know if this is the cologne that Floris originally called 'Royal' in 1981? or was that something else?
Regards,
Gordon
Teuton

Post by Teuton »

No. 89 actually lasts pretty good on me. It's nice, soft, flowery, and could potentially be a perfect office wear or super-casual cologne.
levente

Post by levente »

bernards66 wrote:Basil, Yep, that's the one. To me, it opens a little like No 89, snd then fades into something akin to Trumpers Royal, but more subtle and nicer. Richard said that he didn't get the No 89 connection, though, although he did agree regarding the certain connection to the GFT Royal. BTW, do you know if this is the cologne that Floris originally called 'Royal' in 1981? or was that something else?
Regards,
Gordon
Gordon,

Sorry, but I don't know the answer to that one, as I 've never seen nor smelled the Royal. Wish they still made the OGC, as it is quite distinctive. Parfums de Nicolai's Cologne Sologne smells somewhat similar, but is not quite as deep.

Regards,
Basil
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Basil, Ah, well. Yeah, Floris brought out both a men's and a ladies 'Royal' cologne in honor of the wedding of Charles and Diana. I'm not sure for how long it was available, of if, perhaps, the 'Original Gentleman's Cologne' is the men's version, renamed, or not. But, in any case, I would like to get my hands on full bottle of it. One of the nicest all around colognes I've tried, really.
Regards,
Gordon
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Gordon, are you confusing Trumpers Royal? It was also brought out to commemorate the royal wedding.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Now, Andrew...really. No, Floris also ( as a Royal Warrant holder ) brought out a 'Royal' cologne at that time. Two of them, in fact; one for gents, and one for ladies. But they did not remain around, as the Trumper product did. When I got that sample of Floris 'Original Gentleman's Cologne' I couldn't help but wonder if it might be the same scent as that Royal for gents was. You, know, that it had perhaps been renamed and repackaged over time. I especially wondered because that Floris scent has a dry down that is more then a little like Trumper's Royal, only more subtle, and actually more to my liking. Sooo......?
Regards,
Gordon
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Thank you for the clarification. At the time Floris Royal came out I was enamored with Polo and other modern scents that college kids wore at the time. I did not have a nose for fine scents at the time.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Andrew, ( chuckle ), well, I hear you. I'm old enough that I had a frame of reference from a period where some good stuff was still around, and not that difficult to get. So, in 1981 I wasn't completely clueless, but on the other hand, I had not heard of the old school London firms like Floris either ( except Yardley and Atkinsons ). I became aware of them in stages, almost by accident, in the early '90s.
Regards,
Gordon