Sinatra's Cologne...

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
The Truthinator

Sinatra's Cologne...

Post by The Truthinator »

What kind of cologne did "Ol' Blue Eyes" put on?

Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

I believe it may have been a fragrance called Bois du Portugal by Creed.
joch

Post by joch »

Agua Lavanda by Puig.
Big Ren
The Toronto Kid

Post by Big Ren »

Prior to his Agua Lavanda Puig phase, it's said that Sinatra wore Yardley English Lavander, before it became discontinued. He also like to use witch hazel. The book The Way You Wear Your Hat covers some of these details.

Ren
Last edited by Big Ren on Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What I find ironic is the fact that we can talk wireless to a man on the moon but we can't talk to someone twenty feet away over a hard-wired intercom at a drive-thru!" - Pottydoctor
DEF

Post by DEF »

Puig Agua Lavanda is widely cited as Sinatra's choice. It's a very subtle, classy lavender-based scent with some light herbal notes (sage?) and a bit of citrus -- great for summer. There are two different strengths for this one, and it's often confusing, since not even the retailers are always sure which one they have. Go for the green glass bottle vs. the plastic splash.

Regards,
Doug
The Truthinator

Thanks so much to all of you, your expertise about such things never ceases to amaze me.
The Truthinator

Is this the Yardley English Lavender you were talking about, Ren, or does it differ from the one used by Frank?
Big Ren
The Toronto Kid

Post by Big Ren »

I believe the one Frank used is no longer made. If Gordon comes across this thread, I'm sure he can give you a more precise answer. I'm not sure why the fragrance you linked to doesn't get discussed much around here, given that Yardley is held in such high regard by so many. Around here it sells for about $17 per bottle at one of the large drugstore chains.

Ren
"What I find ironic is the fact that we can talk wireless to a man on the moon but we can't talk to someone twenty feet away over a hard-wired intercom at a drive-thru!" - Pottydoctor
The Truthinator

Ren wrote:I believe the one Frank used is no longer made. If Gordon comes across this thread, I'm sure he can give you a more precise answer. I'm not sure why the fragrance you linked to doesn't get discussed much around here, given that Yardley is held in such high regard by so many. Around here it sells for about $17 per bottle at one of the large drugstore chains.
I think, I will visit one of those drugstores in my local area tomorrow. You've got me intrigued.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Morning. The answer to this one is actually fairly easy to nail down, as it has been mentioned by more then one writer; people who knew him well, including his own daughter. Sinatra detested strong scents on men, and used to bust Sammy Davis' chops about his cologne choices regularly. This is one reason, along with the date of it's introduction, that I think that the Creed Bois du Portugal riff is just more of their PR BS. For many years, Sinatra wore Yardley English Lavender for Men. When that finally became completely unavailable, he switched to Puig Lavende.
Regards,
Gordon
The Truthinator

Gordon wrote:For many years, Sinatra wore Yardley English Lavender for Men. When that finally became completely unavailable, he switched to Puig Lavende.
And what about the Yardley English Lavender I linked to? Is this a totally different version or have they reintroduced this cologne?
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

( chuckle )...Well, the story of Yardley is long, and complex. I've gone into it here once or twice before. Suffice to say that they have made a number of different versions of scents, all labelled 'English Lavender'. The stuff that Sinatra was so fond of was a blending specifically for gents, and was sold from the 1920s or '30s on through the end of the '50s, or there abouts. Yardley Black Label is the scent that replaced it, and it is somewhat similar, but sharper and a tad stronger. I actually have a little of the old Lavender for Men, as bottles of it still show up on eBay from time to time...usually as parts of sets. The Yardley Lavender available today is pretty much the same version that they've sold for many decades, blended mainly for ladies. I have a lot of that around the house as well. It's wearable by gents, I think, but is not the same as the version that was made for men, and that Sinatra wore.
Regards,
Gordon
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

The old Yardley for men is very fleeting stuff. Lavender water by it's very nature is fleeting so imagine an aftershave version of it and you have the Yardley. To be sure it was excellent high quality stuff with glycerin in it etc much like the D.R. Harris Pink aftershave of today. And also like the Pink it's scent does not really stick around, though I would say it sticks around a lot longer than the Pink. Whereas the Pink will be completelty gone in a matter of minutes the Yardley will linger - close the the skin - for a couple of hours. Unless someone comes in for a smooch they won't smell it.

Chris
craigl14

Post by craigl14 »

Gordon, do you know how the Puig compares to Atkinsons?

Craig
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Craig, The Puig is lighter, with less staying power. It's quite fleeting stuff. Nice though.
Regards,
Gordon
The Truthinator

Bumping this thread, because I was going to buy lavender water for the spring and summer. I am in town on Tuesday, so I can take a sniff of Harris' Lavender Water. If that's not to my liking I will probably order some Puig Agua Lavanda.
The original comes in the 200 ml green glass bottle, correct?
What other scents do you wear in the warmer months? I like clean, warm, subtle, not too overpowering scents. I am not afraid to admit that I like (...other word for feminine...hmm...) softer scents. :wink:

EDIT: What are the opinions about Caldey Island Lavender?
Last edited by The Truthinator on Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Well, it's 'warm' to 'steaming unbearable' here almost the entire year, so I can't get into 'seasonal scents' per se very much.....I just wear what I like and the hell with the dreadful climate. But if I did have 'seasons', ( and since you like lavender water ), my choice would be Penhaligon's English Fern or Trumpers Wild Fern. These are amongst my two or three favourite colognes. Neither is inexpensive, but they are superb, and should be up your alley.
Regards,
Gordon
The Truthinator

Thanks, Gordon. I emailed Penhaligon about the English Fern. I hope they'll send me a sample, since I don't have the opportunity to try it out prior to purchasing it via internet.
SirCur

Post by SirCur »

Not sure about these "fern" fragrances. I tried Harris Arlington for the 1st time today and it is not bad. Have to use it a few more times to determine if it is a keeper. Is Penhaligon's English Fern or Trumpers Wild Fern similar to Arlington?

Best ... Steve
To want what I have
To take what I'm given with grace
For this I pray
The Truthinator

I am not an expert in this field, Steve, but I think Arlington is more of a citrus scent. I am not really a big fan of citrus scents, I prefer warmer, aromatic scents.