Main differences in using splashes and balms?

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Linas

Main differences in using splashes and balms?

Post by Linas »

Is there any common knowledge on how alcohol-based splashes differ from balms? Well, splashes give the sting :-) I have also read in the forums that splashes are better for one's skin in the summer time while balms - in the winter time. Anything else like that?
Linas
Big Ren
The Toronto Kid

Post by Big Ren »

Hi Linas,

I'd say that historically, the traditional alcohol-based aftershave was applied as a disinfectant, especially in the day when the same razor was used to shave several customers at the local barbershop. Aside from alcohol, modern day splashes may also contain other ingredients, like witch hazel or aloe vera, which serve as tonics for freshly shaven skin. Splashes are also suitable for imparting a light fragrance. Balms are a more recent creation of the toiletry industry, and serve primarily as skin soothers and moisturizers. In my experience, the fragrance in a 'scented' balm is never quite as 'pure' as in a traditional aftershave. I use traditional alcohol-based aftershaves year-round without any adverse effects to my skin. Others have said that the alcohol content dries out their skin. For those who use balms, there seems to be a preference for thinner, lighter-weight formulations, such as Trumpers skin food or the old DR Harris aftershave milk, not to mention some of the more common drugstore products.

Ren
"What I find ironic is the fact that we can talk wireless to a man on the moon but we can't talk to someone twenty feet away over a hard-wired intercom at a drive-thru!" - Pottydoctor
sebell

Post by sebell »

If I do not apply a moisturizer or balm after
using an AS splash (which I love to do), I
will surely find dry/white skin around my
mouth.

Has anyone moved away from moisturizers
and found that their skin has adjusted after
a few days?

- Scott
rafikz

Post by rafikz »

I have naturally dry skin, but I love the scents of Aqua Velva Green and Nivea Replenishing Balm (both have alcohol) after a shave, so I'm trying to work them into my routine.

What I do is the following:

1. Velva Green or Nivea Replenishing

2. Real Shaving Co. Moist. Balm

3. Vaseline Cocoa and Shea

I too want to see if my skin is going to adjust overtime
Bob

Post by Bob »

If you live in a windy or dry climate, a balm may be beneficial. The only heavy balm I use is Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet, and it's a very heavy balm. I use it in the winter exclusively. Once the humidity gets back up to normal in March, I switch back to thinner, traditional aftershaves.
--Bob--
Linas

Post by Linas »

So probably the main difference is that splashes dry out the skin. Logically, it makes sense for me to use balms (which moisturize) in the winter time - we have around 30 percent humidity inside, so skin needs moisture.
NiksaNovovic

Post by NiksaNovovic »

Linas, I live in Calgary and it is a really dry city. I have no idea what the actual humidity is but it is pretty dry. For the past month I have been using the Boosters line of aftershaves, mainly the Polar Ice and Mosswood scents. I can tell you that if you are used to balms, the transition to a splash will leave your skin dry. However after maybe a week your skin will adjust and you will learn to embrace the splash! I really enjoy using an alcohol based splash and wouldn't want to switch back to a balm even if I could. Of course everybody has different skin and YMMV, but give some a shot and see what happens.

Warmest regards, Niksa
Linas

Post by Linas »

Niksa, I have small kids, and humidity is very important for kids - that is why I know the exact humidity :-)
I've been using exclusively balms for several years (first Nivea, and for the last six months - coral skin food and Proraso pre-post), but about a week ago I received a package with Musgo, Proraso and Pinaud Bay Rum splashes. So that's why I'm curious how they differ from balms.
NiksaNovovic

Post by NiksaNovovic »

I was wondering why the interest in things meteorological! :lol: ! If you get used to both balms and splashes, you should be fine to switch it up depending on your whim. Good luck, and I hope that the splashes work for you!

Warmest regards, Niksa
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

If the balms seems to "heavy" on your face, even if they are considered "light" or "heavy" by us or the manufacturer, look for alcohol splashes that contain glycerin as a minor ingredient. Aqua Velva (regular and Musk), Booster Polar Ice, many drug store AS's, and other alcohol-based AS's (fancy ones as well) have small amounts of glycerin. They add A LITTLE extra protection and smoothness without that layer of "sticky feeling" on your face. Some gents claim they don't feel the difference but they are inexpensive, smell great, and worth a try. (Or add a little on your own.)
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
rafikz

Post by rafikz »

Linas wrote:Niksa, I have small kids, and humidity is very important for kids - that is why I know the exact humidity :-)
I've been using exclusively balms for several years (first Nivea, and for the last six months - coral skin food and Proraso pre-post), but about a week ago I received a package with Musgo, Proraso and Pinaud Bay Rum splashes. So that's why I'm curious how they differ from balms.
Which Nivea Balm have you used? (because 2 of them have alcohol)

Do you have dry skin?
Linas

Post by Linas »

I have used Nivea extra soothing balm for sensitive skin. No, I do not have dry skin.