Repackaging of Old Spice

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
paperpundit

Repackaging of Old Spice

Post by paperpundit »

Anyone notice the repackaging being done on Old Spice?

I stopped in Walgreens to get a bottle...nearly $12! And it said "Old Spice Classic" on it...

I was so shocked by the price I didn't even open the box to see if they changed the scent...
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

I hope they went back and put the old clipper ships back on the bottle instead of the racing yacht.
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
Eastree

Post by Eastree »

I had not payed attention to Old Spice packaging since I was a kid, until I started reading posts about it here. It has changed a lot. My dad's bottle (the last I had seen before the void) was faceted glass with the clipper ship, and it was simply labeled 'Old Spice / eu de toilette.' With my recent purchase, I noticed there are two types of OS (besides signature) on the shelves: Classic and 'Pure Sport.' I think I've even seen a 'Fresh' somewhere. What's worse (since more scents are not necessarily a bad thing) was that now the bottles are off-white opaque with the yacht. Ugh.
Ernest
atrac

Post by atrac »

$12 for the After Shave or the Cologne? The cologne generally was $8 and the large After Shave was $9 I believe prior to the repackaging.

This must be why Walgreens was clearing out the old ones about a month ago at a very cheap price!
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

Well last night I saw the new boxes of Old Spice and to me they looked kinda nice, and yes they were priced at $12 for the small bottle that used to sell for $6.99. Then it got really scary as I opened the box to check it out. The milk bottles we all know and love are not made out of glass any more but rather a lightweight plastic! With a red topper to boot! So not only did P&G jack the price up on an American classic but they went ultra cheap in the production process. It is sad that I even get upset over such an issue but Old Spice really is one of my favourite products of all time and I have used it faithfully for over 20 years. At least I have old bottles I can decant into when they run out...
But damn it all to H#@&!
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

prism

Post by prism »

Worse than that, it's been reformulated IMO. It does'nt smell the same; less potent. When I splashed the aftershave on in high school, it would usually stick with me for the better part of the day. The new stuff does'nt seem to have the "depth" of the old scent. Why do they have to fix what is'nt broken?
Make Mine Menthol! Vic
Rich53

Post by Rich53 »

Steve,
How in the world will you decant into the tiny hole of the old glass bottles?

regards,
Rich

Do not give up before the miracle happens.
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

Rich,
You know those little plastic guards that fit over the light that doctors use when they look into your ears? I use those as miniature funnels to decant with. 8)
~Steve

MiloFinch

Post by MiloFinch »

Steve, that is genius! Can you get them anywhere for cheap? I bet a doctor would charge $100 a dozen.
-David
Now go and watch Raiders.
prism

Post by prism »

Bah! A doctor will give them to you free after he's used them. They clean up nicely!
Make Mine Menthol! Vic
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Doc, really, check my ears...please...
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

MiloFinch wrote:Steve, that is genius! Can you get them anywhere for cheap? I bet a doctor would charge $100 a dozen.
David,
last time I was waiting in my Doctors office I just helped myself. They came in 2 different sizes so I took 3 of each. If you dont have a Doctors visit coming anytime soon I'm sure yoou can find them online at a medical supply site.
~Steve

MiloFinch

Post by MiloFinch »

Nah, my mother's a doctor, I'm sure I can just give her a call. She could probably swipe a few for me.

Although, one time, in high school, I asked her to bring home some latex gloves because I had an art project. Lets just say that I'm almost done with college and I've still got latex gloves that will probably rot before I use them.
-David
atrac

Post by atrac »

Raise the price and lower the production costs...is Old Spice Classic Scent in trouble or are they getting cocky?

I checked out one of the boxes today -- it seems to match the packaging of the Old Spice Classic Scent Body Wash now. I checked out the bottle inside and it is indeed plastic -- that's a sacrilege!

I didn't smell it though...felt pretty weird about evening opening the box. :(
MiloFinch

Post by MiloFinch »

Things change, and the market gets younger. They are simply trying to market to a younger audience. But what difference does it really make? I am the only young guy I know that uses Old Spice. None of the other guys I talk to give a damn about the scent or packaging of it, because they don't use it. Who cares? The older generation, the people who do use it. The older gents are the majority of the Old Spice Original users, so shouldn't the company want to please them instead of alienating them?

For example, my grandfather who was a devoted Old Spice man in the years of my youth no longer uses it because it no longer looks or smells (the most important factor) as it did years ago. So what are they really accomplishing here?

But I guess when it really comes down to it, what can you do really? As awful as it might be, what choice do we really have? I need to give the new stuff a smell though. I hope it still smells the same though.
-David
Naughtius Maximus

Post by Naughtius Maximus »

I was in Hy-Vee (a grocery store found the the mid-west) yesterday and saw the new packaging. They still had some bottles left of the old packaging next to the new packaging. Both were classic scent aftershave. The new bottles are indeed plastic with a red stopper. The price for the new bottle was about $1.50 or so higher than the old. HOWEVER, there was more aftershave in the new bottle than in the old by several ounces. I didn't buy any because I have a two year supply thanks to Walgreen's.
73's, Eric

"I solder, therefore I burn myself." - Anon
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

NM, Did you get a chance to smell them both side by side? I'm pretty curious to see if they indeed changed the scent. I'm actually thinking of bringing a small vial of the old stuff and comparing it to the new stuff. It is pretty pathetic that I am putting so much concern to such a cheap aftershave but I really do like it just how it is. I know they have changed their scent before over the years but I have not noticed much change for quite awhile. Hopefully if they did reformulate the scent it is a real subtle change.
~Steve

a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

Yesterday, I bought a bottle of Old Spice. The scent is different, no question.
It smell s cheaper. I like the old better.
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
MiloFinch

Post by MiloFinch »

Did they reformulate in Canada as well?

I ask this because I've been looking around the net, researching some Old Spice stuff. I noticed that the bottles look completely different than the bottles I've been using for a while now. This is my bottle.

Upon further inspection. I noticed this little bit on the back.

So it seems that I have actually been using, somehow, Canadian Old Spice for some time now. Am I correct in assuming this? I went and bought a few bottles when I read this whole post, about the reformulation. However, if it's still the same in Canada, maybe my local store will still have the same old stuff. I have to check though. I don't know.

Either way, I'm curious, how did product imported into Canada make it back down to Louisiana?
-David
Naughtius Maximus

Post by Naughtius Maximus »

Big Swifty wrote:NM, Did you get a chance to smell them both side by side?
Unfortunately no. I was trying to get the stopper out of the "new" bottle and saw my wife walking towards me. I quickly put the bottle back in the box and started looking at athletes foot cream so she wouldn't become suspicious.

:wink:
73's, Eric

"I solder, therefore I burn myself." - Anon