Best liquid aftershave

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Best liquid aftershave

Post by Sam »

Been using Thayers with Rose Witch Hazel and following it up with Jason Aloe Gel. Kinda want to combine this all in one step

Thinking of DR Harris Pink, the Proraso Splash, a couple of Booster aftershaves, the Speick and maybe the Musgo. Prefer a liquid splash, as I have a ton of Coral Skin Food to use as a sealant and/or Moisturizer. I get some burn sometimes, but mostly do not need the moisturizer.

I see Appleton Barber supply has some Pinaud, some Master and others at very good prices

So, which of these would you prefer and why?
Bob

Post by Bob »

Sam, I like Harris' Pink a lot. For me, it's pretty much all I need. Like you, I also use the Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel. I don't follow that up with anything else. To me, the Harris feels even lighter than the Thayer's.

The Pinaud is a nice aftershave, if you like the scent. I really liked it in my youth, but don't as much now. Funny how our tastes evolve over time. As for the Proraso, Booster and Musgo aftershaves, I've never tried them, so no advice from me on those.

Really, the Pink is a great product, and its only drawback is the price. This can be ameliorated to some degree by buying it in the big bottle, rather than the 100 ml or 150 ml bottles.
--Bob--
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Im thinking something that has no lingering scent. I am tempted to order say a couple of Pinauds from Appleton and a couple of Boosters from Executiveshaving and then adding glycerin if I need to
Hoos

Post by Hoos »

Not on your list, but I'll put in a plug for Lucky Tiger a/s splash. Non-alcoholic, citrus scent that disappears within a few minutes, and no sticky/tacky feel afterward.

It's very soothing and nice. (This is the one from Nordstrom in the brown/yellow packaging.)
Brent
Tondeo ergo sum.
Mr. Spacely

Post by Mr. Spacely »

Sam wrote:Im thinking something that has no lingering scent. I am tempted to order say a couple of Pinauds from Appleton and a couple of Boosters from Executiveshaving and then adding glycerin if I need to
+1

Have 3 of 4 in collection

Clubman
Bay Rum
Lilac Vegital
----------
Scott
rikrdo

Post by rikrdo »

Sam,
mix the witch hazel with the aloe gel.
I also add some Corn Huskers Lotion to mine, but I know some find the scent offputting.
rick
Bob

Post by Bob »

Sam wrote:Im thinking something that has no lingering scent. I am tempted to order say a couple of Pinauds from Appleton and a couple of Boosters from Executiveshaving and then adding glycerin if I need to
To me, the Pink scent doesn't linger as long as the Thayer's (which doesn't stick around that long, frankly). Pinaud's Club Man lingers much longer.
--Bob--
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

rikrdo wrote:Sam,
mix the witch hazel with the aloe gel.
I also add some Corn Huskers Lotion to mine, but I know some find the scent offputting.
Im thinking something with alcohol might be a nice change of pace. I dont want a balm - id just use the aloe gel for severe razor burn.

Shavingessentials carries the Boosters and they say the Boosters have alcohol as the second ingredient after water, and they all have glycerin. Polar Ice has menthol. I dont know how Mosswood or Oriental Spice smell but they would be the second choices after Polar Ice.

Appleton Barber Supply carries some Pinaud, Jeris, Master, Lucky Tiger, and I dont know if they differ on alcohol amount or even glycerin or not. Im kinda thinking they pretty much are all alike, some smaller differences here and there in scent or amount of alcohol, and whether they have like allantoin or glycerin for some soothing/balming effect. Im thinking that the Harris Pink is like Coral Skin food without the gum and without the consistency or the Skinfood. Appleton has a steeper mailing charge, $10.00, so unless you get like 3 or 4 or more of their products, makes it more expensive to get a bottle.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

They have Master Bay rum and Pinaud Clubman at Sally's Supply, so I can check that out locally.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Sam, As far as a liquid A/S product vis a vis soothing and coddling your skin, then Harris's Pink without question. If you can tolerate high alcohol content products, then it doesn't much matter and you can buy whatever regular 'aftershave' based on scent preference and/or price.
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Let me think, hmm, oh I guess, maybe, Bourbon Parfums No.1 .
Regards,
Squire
tonyespo
The Goldfather

Post by tonyespo »

Sam, Masters Bay Rum isn't a good choice for the warm weather that is right around the corner. That's just me, I feel Bay Rum is a winter scent. Masters is pretty strong and lasts a good while. It's cheap enough to grab a bottle and give it a try.

I have almost everything Pinaud makes and I like them. They are good smelling and cooling and very affordable. The Classic Vanilla is a favorite. I still wear a cologne daily, that I apply about an hour after I splash on my aftershave.
Tony Espo ( Lover of Knize )
Go for the GOLD.

Through my will power I dare to do what I want.
reggiano

Post by reggiano »

Hoos wrote:Not on your list, but I'll put in a plug for Lucky Tiger a/s splash. Non-alcoholic, citrus scent that disappears within a few minutes, and no sticky/tacky feel afterward.

It's very soothing and nice. (This is the one from Nordstrom in the brown/yellow packaging.)
Agree on the Lucky Tiger Tonic. My go-to. Dominic as well. Gordon has sung the praises of this one too. A bit spendy, but close to half the price of Pink (which I also own and like).
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Well, I stopped by Sally Beauty Supply and they had Masters Bay Rum and Pinaud CLubman, so I grabbed a bottle of each. The description of Boosters Polar Ice sounds like I might like it, but the CLubman was $6.99 for 16 ounces and beats the $10 and $7 shipping of the Boosters, well, just to try.

Seems cheap enough. The Masters I could unscrew, it was okay out of the bottle, but the Clubman was sealed.
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Sam, I would second Gordon's recommendation of Harris Pink. It's good stuff - nice and light yet very effective. I don't find the rose scent lingers either.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Gareth, I have a small sample coming I think. If so, then I can compare it head on with Thayers, with Pinaud and with Masters.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Sam, the Polar Ice is very nice, the alcohol content in it is much lower than Clubman, the Pinaud bay rum is my A/S of choice these days. Harris Pink is also very nice not as toning as the Pinaud.. IMO
Regards,
Marty
---------------------------------------------------

"Be still! Me mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading in a waterfall of creative alternatives."
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Sam, do you like or want menthol in your aftershave? If so Stephan makes a wonderful aftershave called Alpine Menthol. It has no fragance in it so when it drys the dominant menthol and camphor smells dissipate rather quickly. It also has some oils in it for moisture but it's not all that moisturizing. It would seem though that you have that covered with the skin food. Though I love the Pink this stuff is excellent for me. It's a high alcohol splash but boy does it cool the face.

I decided to give this a try recently after a few experiments that convinced me that I wasn't sensitive to menthol (I previously believed I'd developed an irritation to it) and I'm very glad I did. For the foreseeable future this will be my mainstay aftershave. The scent disappears within minutes leaving you free to apply whatever scent you like. IT tones the skin nicely and it's darn cheap too. You can get it at either Williamsport or Appleton Barber supplies I think. I know you can get it from Williamsport. Hope that helps.

Chris
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Chris, Id love to try that stuff. I used the Clubman today and it was a different sort of sensation. It did not burn at all, and I did not find that it was moisturizing at all. DOnt know how it would relieve razor burn if there was burn. But that smell reminded me of the barbershop for sure. Used some Jeris Hair Tonic and that was even more reminiscent for me
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

Sam,
If you want a splash that really moisturizes and tones well i will suggest the Lucky Tiger tonic also.
www.luckytiger.net This stuff is different than the barber shop classics that are available from Appleton barber. I have seen the good stuff for sale at Nordstroms and Dillards. I really do find this to be a really good aftershave and it doesn't interfere with your colognes. 8)
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"