Guerlain's Mouchoir de Monsieur

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
never2close

Guerlain's Mouchoir de Monsieur

Post by never2close »

Need advice. I can purchase this fragrance, but it's from a retailer through the internet so I'm unable to sample it first. To those that know, what's it like? What if anything, is it similar to? I love AdP, Pen's Douro, Fern, and Endymion. No. 74, Pecksniff's Citrus, Trumper's Leather. Don't care for K10. Would like to avoid my K10 mishap. Thanks.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Mouchoir de Monsieur isn't a scent I would recommend anyone to buy without knowing whether you like it, as it is rather expensive if you decide against it. It has a very brief citrus note at first, then settles into a sweet powdery rose. Some people will find it too sweet and even cloying, others will say it is too feminine. I like it occasionally for formal evening wear.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
never2close

Post by never2close »

drmoss_ca wrote:Mouchoir de Monsieur isn't a scent I would recommend anyone to buy without knowing whether you like it, as it is rather expensive if you decide against it. It has a very brief citrus note at first, then settles into a sweet powdery rose. Some people will find it too sweet and even cloying, others will say it is too feminine. I like it occasionally for formal evening wear.

Chris
Thank you Chris for your help.

Ken
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ken, I have little to add to what Chris said, or to his description of the scent. It's not something to buy a whole bottle of 'blind'. Although it's a great classic, it's not a scent that I would wear that often, personally.
Regards,
Gordon
never2close

Post by never2close »

bernards66 wrote:Ken, I have little to add to what Chris said, or to his description of the scent. It's not something to buy a whole bottle of 'blind'. Although it's a great classic, it's not a scent that I would wear that often, personally.
Regards,
Gordon
Gordon,

Once again, thank you for sharing your knowledge with me. I find Chris' and your comments invaluable in my quest to to transform what was once a daily ritual into something I truly look forward to.

Ken
cjc15153

Post by cjc15153 »

I'm pretty sure the perfumed court has MdM. I bought a K10 sample from them and saved myself a bit o' money (unless my sample smelled atypically of bicycle tire and baby powder).

I'm not pimping for TPC. There may be other places that sell samples too. They charge $5 or 6 shipping too, so your $3 -6 sample could cost $12.
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

It's fine stuff but as has been said, it's not something to buy a whole gallon of unless you're sure you like it. It's one of my great favourites although I must tell you it's been mucked about with over the years. I still have some about 20 years old which is far finer than the current version (but then I don't like what the obnoxious bean-counters at LVMH, who now own Guerlain, do to any of their "luxury brand" purchases.).

Best description is probably: think of the "Guerlinade" -- the house note with quite a potent bergamot kick-off -- followed by something rather like Jicky but Jicky that's had a long passionate affair with a pot of concrète de Jasmin and not bathed afterwards. The drydown -- pace Chris -- is a drift of jasmin on an animalic (less so now) civety base; very long-lasting, quite 1900s in style (as you'd expect), elegant but fairly low key. The mid-range, which you'd hit as you arrived at work, might be a bit floral for some tastes; but, as I say, I love it -- especially if you can get hold of the older stuff. (If t's not in that round bouteille d'abeilles with the Empress Jospehine bees on it, then it's almost certainly the pre-mucked-around version.[/i]
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Bargepole wrote:IThe drydown -- pace Chris -- is a drift of jasmin...
You are absolutely right - it is jasmine. Used to have a hedge of jasmine in Wiltshire, and it does smell like it. Takes me back, it does.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Damn that's a disappointment, it's much cheaper by the gallon.
Regards,
Squire
Brett G
Viscount Krona

Post by Brett G »

The thing about MdM that really threw me off was the civet. I wasn't used to it, didn't like it, and could never appreciate it. That is the x-factor that makes it a "you must try it before you buy it" scent.
Brett
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Brett G wrote:The thing about MdM that really threw me off was the civet. I wasn't used to it, didn't like it, and could never appreciate it. That is the x-factor that makes it a "you must try it before you buy it" scent.
Civet has always been one of those love it or hate it things. You might prefer the new version which has some synthetic stuff instead, civet being now illegal in the USA.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Michael, He's got the newer stuff. Very few members of this forum have ever smelled the MdeM when it still had the real civet. I was fortunate enough to ( keeping in mind that for long periods, MdeM was not even available in the States ), and yes, that note IS....a....distinctive. But even the "mucked with" version that they sell today is pretty unusual by most current gent's standards.....definately one to 'try before you buy'. Classic stuff without question, and it made it on to my list of 'Ten Classic Colognes' that I did for Wetshavers a few years ago, when practically nobody on the boards had ever heard of it. It's still not normally sold in America, as far as I know.
Regards,
Gordon
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

I like this scent. I wear it infrequently but enjoy it nonetheless.
Lou

Post by Lou »

drmoss_ca wrote:Mouchoir de Monsieur isn't a scent I would recommend anyone to buy without knowing whether you like it, as it is rather expensive if you decide against it. It has a very brief citrus note at first, then settles into a sweet powdery rose. Some people will find it too sweet and even cloying, others will say it is too feminine. I like it occasionally for formal evening wear.

Chris
Your description reminds me of Aqua di Parma Colonia. How similar are they?
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Lou, Not particularly. Aqua di Parma is a pretty classic eau de Cologne sort of affair, except for the very noticeable presence of that Bulgarian Rose note. MdM is a more complex scent, more powdery, and with that unusual base note ( even in the current 'mucked up' version ).
Regards,
Gordon
never2close

Post by never2close »

I started this thread over 4 years ago and based on the scholarly comments about MdM decided to try before I bought. At least that was the plan, but it never happened. Move forward to the present day. I started my week with my usual routine and then it hit me that I would like to try MdM. Why this morning? Who knows, but I did a search on SMF and found my original post. After a brief pause I decided to order MdM blind. I hope I like it...........
brothers

Post by brothers »

Good for you N2C! Here's hoping it will prove to have been worth the wait, and the gamble you're taking, that you'll like it. This thread makes me regret that some of the guys who originally participated don't seem to have the same fire as they used to. Understandable, of course, but regrettable too. . . The good old days of SMF? :(
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I hope you do too. It's one of those almost legendary classic gentleman's scents that anyone who is really into such things hopefully gets an opportunity to try at some point. As was noted in the '08 posts, what they sell today is not what the scent was for most of it's existance. Still, it's close enough to get the idea at least. Let us know what you think.

Gary, 'The good old days at SMF' were '04-'05 ( chuckle )
Regards,
Gordon
never2close

Post by never2close »

Received it earlier today and immediately tried it on. Very nice powdery, quiet scent. I initially picked up a citrus smell that receded as the day progressed. It is now a very nice floral with good longevity. While I don't have a sophisticated nose, I am glad it is a part of my collection.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ken, Well, there you go....pretty much as 'advertised' above, no? Glad that it met with your approval as it is quite expensive. Enjoy!
Regards,
Gordon