Anyone tried Clubman Pinaud Special Reserve?

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Ouchmychin

Anyone tried Clubman Pinaud Special Reserve?

Post by Ouchmychin »

I just bought three bottles of Clubman Pinaude Special Reserve, two as gifts and one for my collection after reading reviews at www.drugstore.com. None of the reviewers could give an accurate description of the scent. I really didn't like the Clubman after-shave I tried, but I gathered that this is an entirely different scent. A comparison by one of you would be appreciated. As you might expect it was on sale cheap--$4.45 a bottle.

Ouchmychin (Pete)
Dog Man

Clubman Special Reserve

Post by Dog Man »

Pete,

Please forgive me for not being able to give you a good description of the scent of this product. I bought it, and I use it because my bride of 39 years likes it. For me, that's the only nose that counts.

I wish you well,

Bill
MiloFinch

Post by MiloFinch »

Its very old manish. Like an old man version of Halston Z-14.
-David
Now go and watch Raiders.
tonyespo
The Goldfather

Post by tonyespo »

MiloFinch wrote:Its very old manish. Like an old man version of Halston Z-14.
It's a very MATURE smell. I'm wouldn't know how Halston Z-14 smells because I'm not into Kiddy fragrances. :lol:
Tony Espo ( Lover of Knize )
Go for the GOLD.

Through my will power I dare to do what I want.
cwiscarolina

Post by cwiscarolina »

IMO, absolutely horrible scent. Smells to me like some God-awful, bathtub-concocted liquor.
--Mike C.

"Progress rather than perfection."
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

cwiscarolina wrote:IMO, absolutely horrible scent. Smells to me like some God-awful, bathtub-concocted liquor.
You have not had the "unique" sensation that is sniffing Pinaud Lilac Vegetal yet, have you? :wink:
~Greg
cwiscarolina

Post by cwiscarolina »

Can't say that I have! LOL!!!

Salter's French Vetiver Cream is pretty heinous too while we're on the subject.......
--Mike C.

"Progress rather than perfection."
k1rod

Post by k1rod »

I'm a little Clubman gunshy after buying a bottle of Lilac Vegetal. I didn't realize that vegetal meant rotting vegetables mixed with cat whiz.
There are 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

I only get cat whiz on the dry down. The topnotes are more like rancid oil.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

Tastes fine, but nasty hangover.
MiloFinch

Post by MiloFinch »

You jest, but I'm told that the cocktail The Aqua Velva was inspired by the aftershave because it was the only alcohol sailors could get onboard their ships.:shock:

Honestly, I don't know if this is true, but it makes a great story. :lol:
-David
Now go and watch Raiders.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Hey, Salter's Vetiver is the only current vetiver cream I know of, and it does smell of vetiver. You should all try it simply so that you know what a vetiver cream might be.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

drmoss_ca wrote:Hey, Salter's Vetiver is the only current vetiver cream I know of, and it does smell of vetiver. You should all try it simply so that you know what a vetiver cream might be.

Chris
Aaah, but there's also Helan Vetiver and Rum. Haven't tried the cream, but I like the way the bath soap smells.
k1rod

Post by k1rod »

TBoner wrote:I only get cat whiz on the dry down. The topnotes are more like rancid oil.
:lol:
There are 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Pete, I'm bumping this because there's a thread about Special Reserve over on Basenotes right now. It's halfway down the "Male Fragrance Discussion" page. I'm not familiar with the scent, but there are some very knowledgeable gents over there with SMF-type tastes, if you will, who speak well of it. Member "Joe Frances," who may well be a member here and who is a lover of the great English houses, has an excellent set of notes in his post at BN that you might check out.

The original thread went pretty far afield of your original post, and I contributed to it, but hopefully this makes up for that somewhat.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

I have now tried Clubman Reserve, and while it's a good scent, it's not quite for me. It is, for all practical purposes, a take on Russian leather, heavy with birch notes. The scent smells vaguely like a barbershop leather chair when sniffed in the bottle. Once applied, it immediately takes on birch and vanilla notes - I believe I've read a comparison to root beer elsewhere here, and there's obviously a connection of sorts. However, the powder and leather that were so detectable in the bottle come on after about 30 minutes and the scent becomes a rich, warm leather. The birch and slightly sweet vanillic notes hang around for a couple of hours, and thereafter it smells like an old-fashioned leather scent. I really thought I would like it, and I sort of do, but because it's not as well knit together as some of the scents to which one might compare it (Knize Ten, Creed Bois du Portugal, Creed Cuir de Russie), it winds up coming across as dull and flat, especially by the end of the day. This is described upthread as an old-man scent, and that's probably true, but it wouldn't normally put me off. This is worth trying if your tastes run toward sturdy, leathery frags that some might consider old-fashioned, but it doesn't quite get there for me.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

D.Irving79
The Great Lord Protector of the SE!

Post by D.Irving79 »

it is the nectar of the Gods.

=P~
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I liked Chris M's comment that everyone should try Salter's Vetiver. I've heard the same thing said about haggis.
Regards,
Squire
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

You literally made me laugh out loud, Squire...thanks.
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

I've been using the Clubman Reserve daily for a few months and like it. It ain't Trumper's Spanish Leather but it's a good daily aftershave for me.

Regards,

Bill
Don't think......shave.