Royal Briar

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Royal Briar

Post by TRBeck »

There is some discussion of this fragrance elsewhere on this forum, but it's almost all in the context of Atkinson's Lavender, and therefore doesn't reveal much about Royal Briar. Once this was produced by Atkinson's, but now is sold exclusively by Carroll and Co., and one assumes produced for them by an American firm (possibly the same one who may or may not make Atkinson's lavender in Florida?).

At any rate, I see from comments made here and there that this is a dressy fragrance, potent and possibly quite woody. I've seen references to Brooks Bros. 1818 and Taylor's Sandalwood as possibly being similar in type, if not in scent. I've read a couple of reviews at Basenotes, too, but I want to know more (btw, is Joe Frances from Basenotes a member here or at another shaving forum: forgive me if this is common knowledge). At any rate, is there anyone who can provide a more detailed or definite description of this scent? Are there citric notes up front? Sweet or musky notes in combination with the wood? What about floral elements?

I'm very tempted to try this, given its sterling reputation, but I have Harris sandalwood, Taylor sandalwood, Trumper Spanish Leather, Woods of Windsor, and there's some Brooks Bros. 1818 headed my way. I don't have a problem having a wide range of woody and/or leathery, masculine scents, but I wonder what elements of the above might compare to Royal Briar.

I know the price is right, so I oughta just buy it, but I've bought enough shaving goods "blind" lately that I don't want to do anymore gambling.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Tim, For a long time, there have been three old Atkinsons men's colognes sold in the US. These versions are bottled here, although not necessarily blended here, by some mysterious outfit in either Florida or NJ...I've never been able to nail it down definatively. They are; English Lavender, Royal Briar, and Gold Metal. Royal Briar had nothiing to do with Carroll & Co. other then the fact that they sold it. So did a few other shops, including Cambridge Chemists. It is a woody, slightly 'sweet', fairly dressy and potent scent. When it was still made by Atkinsons in London, it is said to have been even more potent then today's version, but otherwise pretty similiar. As far as similarities are concerned, that's usually a tough call. It reminds me a little bit of the old Arden Woodhue for Men and a little of English Leather, actually. The Gold Metal is the oldest Atkinson scent, BTW, going all the way back to end of the 1700s it's said. It is a classic eau de cologne, with a noticeable rose note in it.
Regards,
Gordon
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

It is said that Royal Briar was Ronald Reagan's favourite cologne, btw. I have a bottle, and like it well enough, but only wear it occassionally. I like the woody component, however there is a sweet, powdery background that I don't care for so much. That sweetness dries down after a while and fades a bit, but it's still there, to my nose.
Cheers,

Craig
Rich53

Post by Rich53 »

Carrolls has copied Atkinson's Royal Briar and now sell it. Atkinson's has discontinued it. Carroll's is indistinguishable from Atkinson's(thank god) as I have compared them side by side.

regards,
Rich

Do not give up before the miracle happens.
levente

Post by levente »

Not to hijack the thread, but is Gold Medal still available? It was reportedly at Cambridge Chemists, but they were showing it as unavailable for a long time and now no longer even list it on the website.

Regards,
Basil
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Basil, Regarding Royal Briar and Gold Medal, the thing to do is call them and ask....and make sure you speak with Scott, no one else. Appanently he has said that they will be getting more of the Atkinsons Lavender this summer, even the large 8oz. bottles, and I would find it a little odd if they were continuing to bottle that one, but not the other two. I'm not saying that they haven't, but I would be a little surprised. Let us know if you find out anything more definative.
Regards,
Gordon
atrac

Post by atrac »

I have to say that I am a HUGE fan of Caroll & Co's Royal Briar (it's in my Top 5). It is because of this that I spent some extra $$$ (more than I care to admit) on a huge 16 ounce bottle of Atkinson's Royal Briar.

In comparing them, I find quite a difference. Atkinson's version is *much* stronger and richer...so much so that I actually don't care for it. The Caroll & Co. version is milder and easier to take. Even when comparing the color of the liquid, the Atkinson's one is darker than the C&C one.

I just find the Atkinson's one overwhelming, even as it dries down. I bought the huge bottle of Atkinson's in February and revisted it because of this thread. I'm afraid that monster 16 ounce bottle is going to sit and collect dust. :(

Of course, this is all just my opinion. ;)
Amphibious Tuna

Post by Amphibious Tuna »

Tboner, I ordered a bottle of the Royal Briar from Caroll & Co last year. IMO it does not smell anything like the sandlewoods you mention or Spanish Leather. It is much sweeter and has a pronounced powdery soft background. I tried it several times but it really was just too 'soft' for me. SWMBO did not like it either. Ended up giving it away here to someone on the forum. I was kinda disappointed, as Atkinson's English Lavender is my number one choice for lavender water. I hope Caroll & Co does get more of the English Lavender this summer, as my huge bottle is almost empty. Hope that helps.
Bob
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

I appreciate all the feedback, gents. It does sound like this would be something different in the arsenal, not merely repeating the type or style of the other things I have. And for $25, who could argue with at least trying it? I'll report back whenever I finally get mine and give my impressions of it.

Thanks again, gents,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

I finally got around to putting on some Royal Briar today. It is, indeed sweet and powdery, but in a very masculine way. It is, as mentioned upthread, a dressy sort of cologne, not something I'd usually wear to work on a 90-degree day. It has dried down some, and the wood and I think maybe musk are beginning to come forward. I don't generally get on well with sweetness if it comes in the form of vanilla notes. Here, there's no (or not much) vanilla, and as such, I can see this as a great alternative to some of the more woodsy and/or drier scents I own. Very classy stuff, no doubt, and a ridiculous bargain. Oh, and the longevity is tremendous: lasted 12+ hours, even through a long afternoon walk with the wife and eating some barbecue.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

atrac

Post by atrac »

TBoner wrote:Very classy stuff, no doubt, and a ridiculous bargain.
I couldn't agree more. It's one of the very few fragrances that I tried in a store and had such an overwhelmingly positive response to it that I bought it immediately.

I just tried Habit Rouge EDT today and it had a similar "buy it now!" effect on me -- unfortunately I have to stay responsible at the moment and avoid spending $$$ on cologne...but it's my next purchase for sure!
Last edited by atrac on Tue May 27, 2008 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Habit Rogue? Ah.....yet another one of which it must be said, "..if you think it's good, you should have tried the original version...". Ask Mr. Bargepole about it if you want to torment yourself ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
GrantPark

Post by GrantPark »

atrac wrote:
TBoner wrote:Very classy stuff, no doubt, and a ridiculous bargain.
I couldn't agree more. It's one of the very few fragrances that I tried in a store and had such an overwhelmingly positive response to it that I bought it immediately.

I just tried Habit Rouge EDT today and it had a similar "buy it now!" effect on me -- unfortunately I have to stay responsible at the moment and avoid spending $$$ on cologne...but it's my next purchase for sure!
Try Heritage instead. I've found that I like it much better than Habit Rouge; in fact, it's become a favorite.