Vintage C-M Greenbriar and Newport

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Vintage C-M Greenbriar and Newport

Post by TRBeck »

I came across a fragrance supplier who has pre-reformulation bottles of Greenbriar and Newport. I have smelled neither, but it is my understanding both were altered a few years back for the worse (much worse in Greenbriar's case, it would seem). I've smelled neither the new nor the old versions. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me a bit about the old formula for either scent: what do they compare to? What notes are in them? In what situations would they be wearable? Any lights you gents can shed is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Tim, Well, that's kind of a tall order ( chuckle ). I'm familiar with both the older versions, but they were not colognes I personally wore. The old Greenbriar was actually a little like Polo only much nicer. The old Newport was a kind of spicy affair with a powdery dry down....pretty old fashioned. Both were certainly markedly superior to the versions they offer now.
Regards,
Gordon
Bob

Post by Bob »

I'm not a huge fan of either cologne, frankly. Of the two, I prefer Newport, and I prefer the old Newport to the new. Greenbriar is an OK scent, if you like that sort of thing. I wasn't aware that it had been reformulated, though. Certainly, the old formulation smelled pretty modern to me, so I'm not sure why they would bother to reformulate, other than cost reduction.

I recommend you smell before you buy, frankly.
--Bob--
levente

Post by levente »

Tim,

I agree with Gordon's descriptions. I'm not very familiar with the old Newport, but it reminded me of something that Rochas would have sold in the 1960s, although I don't know how much that helps. Spicy with a powdery drydown stikes me as accurate. I own the old Greenbriar, and a better Polo is the standard description. The green top note (pine) lasts much better than Polo, but the old Greenbriar is a touch sweet, as my nose picks up amber at the base. Someone on Basenotes described it well as a scent of early spring, as I don't think it works as well when the weather heats up. How much you like it would depend on how your skin reacts to the amber. For the right price (and by that I mean under $30 for the 3 oz bottle), it might be up your alley. Bob is right that the old Greenbriar smells modern, but that's because it was ahead of its time. Typical fine C-M quality.

Regards,
Basil
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Thanks, gents. Since I have a number of great scents, I'll probably pass on these. I do appreciate the input. Sweet is not my gig, generally, though I can be persuaded, and it doesn't sound like either will do anything my other scents don't.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
DCLawyer

Post by DCLawyer »

bernards66 wrote:Tim, Well, that's kind of a tall order ( chuckle ). I'm familiar with both the older versions, but they were not colognes I personally wore. The old Greenbriar was actually a little like Polo only much nicer. The old Newport was a kind of spicy affair with a powdery dry down....pretty old fashioned. Both were certainly markedly superior to the versions they offer now.
Regards,
Gordon
I liked Newport and really wanted to try Greenbriar...sooo disappointing!
D.Irving79
The Great Lord Protector of the SE!

Post by D.Irving79 »

ive been thinking about picking up the greenbriar....

:-k