How do you properly apply a cologne without a spray?

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
brightb

How do you properly apply a cologne without a spray?

Post by brightb »

I have just picked up a bottle Marlborough after reading of it here. My other colognes are all EDT sprays, which I generally spray once on the underside of both forearms and once on my chest. With the Marlborough I have dabbed some on my wrists and then rubbed my wrists behind my ear (pretty sure I have seen my Grandfather do this) and a little on the chest.

So men, how do you do it?

thanks,

Bll
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Well the first thing to be aware of is there is ONLY ONE RIGHT WAY to do this and if you do it wrong the Scent Fairy will materialise and tear your nose off....

Seriously: however you like. Palm on top of the open bottle, tip the bottle, apply as required. There's no methodology, no etiquette, no preference.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Just like Michael said, really.

I shake a little out, apply it to both wrists, behind my ears and the back of my neck. That's it.
dannymac

Post by dannymac »

I don't think there's any special trick to it like the other guys said.

Apparantly, a spray is much better because it keeps the liquid away from the air for the most part and it is air and light which make cologne go bad. You should always store your cologne in the dark.

But some people prefer a splash cologne bottle.

As far as where to put it, I think I remember reading on basenotes where there are certain "hot-spots" where the scent is most effective. I'm not sure it's major though. For me it's just on the neck and back of wrists.
brightb

Post by brightb »

Thanks for the responses guys,
I wasn't really looking for one specific right way, but rather trying to see how other men 'scent up' compared to me. I don't want to waste any, and I don't want to smell like a cologne shop from a hundred feet away. I am going to find an atomizer and see if I prefer the Marlborough that way.

Bill
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

Bargepole wrote: There's no methodology, no etiquette, no preference.
Phooey. I was looking forward to reading about some arcane ritual that must be performed. Thanks for buzzkill, Michael. :wink:
~Greg
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

I love Trumper's marlborough.
Anyway -

splash cologne I splash it (well, you would, wouldn't you?) into my hand and then apply it to my chest and wrists. Chest because I'm fairly tall (6'4") and my target demographic for third party sniffers tends to come to around chest height. Wrists so that I can spend the day surreptitiously sniffing my own cologne.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
IanM

Post by IanM »

I've not really explored the world of colognes, but I tend to apply small amounts behind my ears, the back of my neck and in that little dip where my neck meets my chest.

The key is subtlety. Just have enough on so that a lady can catch a whiff and then has to lean in closer to get a better sniff. As she's doing that, you can take a crafty look down the front of her dress :wink:

Oh don't give me that! You've all done it!

Ian
Those who design "Fool Proof" systems often underestimate the ability of fools.
drumana

Post by drumana »

I apply cologne, spray or splash, on my chest and neck.
-Andrew-
blaireau

You bet Ian!

Post by blaireau »

I'm a little different than most here, you can say that again! I LOVE the smell of a good Cologne so much that I tend to smear a whole lot on and enjoy it for hours! My hypothesis is that MOTOS might be overcome by the fumes, they're such poor, weak creatures as Zorba once said, and they give you all they got, as he ended that comment! I'm still waiting for the last part to come true but man am I enjoying smelling myself!
atrac

Post by atrac »

I have not yet mastered this ability after almost a year. Whenever I "splash" it on, a lot of it ends up trickling down the side of the bottle. A few labels have now been ruined by the alcohol. :(

I can either dab a little on my finger without spilling, or splash it on to a hand and then rub it on my arms...then rub the part that leaked on the bottle on the other arm.

People have suggested to me buying decanter bottles that have spray pumps. Call me obsessive, but there is something about grabbing the original bottle vs. a generic one. I know, it's supposed to be about "the scent," but I like the whole "experience." ;)

I have a bottle of CM Tricorn that is a splash; I know their bottles are "dual purpose" and can also be used with a pump, so I contacted them about buying the pump separately. No go. They don't sell them separately. :(
Last edited by atrac on Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Re: You bet Ian!

Post by notthesharpest »

blaireau wrote:I'm a little different than most here, you can say that again! I LOVE the smell of a good Cologne so much that I tend to smear a whole lot on and enjoy it for hours! My hypothesis is that MOTOS might be overcome by the fumes, they're such poor, weak creatures as Zorba once said, and they give you all they got, as he ended that comment! I'm still waiting for the last part to come true but man am I enjoying smelling myself!
Everyone else will give you lots of space in which to do so. :lol:
elixr

Post by elixr »

I am a fragrance fanatic. I don't know why I felt the need to preface this, but I prefer to decant from splash bottles. Atomizers give you better and more even coverage, plus you can just drop a secant into your pocket to take along with you for refreshing.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I like them both but for me it is simpler to spray the stuff on.
Regards,
Squire