Applying Colognes - How, Where, When, & Why

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Coche_y_bondhu
Don't mess with Texas!

Applying Colognes - How, Where, When, & Why

Post by Coche_y_bondhu »

Hello All,

These are questions that many gents may have when it comes to applying colognes. There is always that fine line between what is just right and what is overpowering to your immediate circle. It would be interesting to hear from the forum members about their use of colognes, since colognes react differently on various skin types, come in varying intensities and scents:

1) How do you apply your cologne?
2) Where on your person do you apply cologne?
3) How much do you apply?
4) When do you prefer to apply your cologne?
5) Why do you use it?

Personally,

1) I apply my cologne with an atomizer. It allows for a more controlled application.

2) I apply it right below my neck, on the collarbone and on my hand/wrist areas. I find if I apply the cologne to areas covered by clothing, the scent lingers longer. Scent rises, so spraying it on my collarbone area under my shirt allows me to enjoy the scent all day. Hours later, the scent is extremely subtle.

3) The amount I apply depends on the intensity of the scent. For example, with T&H 1805, I only need two spritzes on my collarbone, Burberry Brit needs 4 spritzes, while Floris Santal needs 5. A citrus or single note floral requires I take the bottle with me to re-apply later in the day.

4) I normally apply the cologne after I shave in the morning while I am cleaning up the sink area and before I get dressed.

5) I use it because I like the way it smells on me. I feel it is a suitable way to end a gentleman's shave and step out the door, ready to face the day, Carpe Diem or something like that!

Please feel free to share your experiences. It is always good to hear how other in our community use colognes. We can always learn from each other and we may discover a different spin on a subject.

Cheers,
Richard
Plano TX
tigert

Post by tigert »

I always spray the fragrance into one hand and then rub my hands together, then I use my hands to massage it into my entire upper body, but primarily on my arms, chest and neck. I find that massaging it in like this increases the staying power of the scent and also makes it blend more with my body oils which will bring out certain notes in the fragrance and cause it to evolve throughout the day.

I rarely use more than 2-3 sprays but of course it depends on the intensity of the fragrance. I apply cologne any time I get out of the shower, even if I'm not going out or if I'm about to go to sleep. I wear it primarily because I like the way it smells, but also because it turns women on and it sets me apart from the crowd since I like to wear unique scents. :wink:

some of my favorites are Lorenzo Villoresi Piper Nigrum, Chanel Egoiste, John Varvatos, Creed silver mountain water, Sung homme, Burt's bees bay rum
Coche_y_bondhu
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Coche_y_bondhu »

Hello Tigert,

Interesting point about massaging the cologne onto the upper body. I guess one could also spray the cologne on the upper body (areas under clothing) and then massage it in a bit. Whatever is left on your palms can be subtly applied to the sides of the neck then. I'll try it.

True, the fragrances react with body oils (more body oil, more staying power from the fragrance).

I tried applying a little cologne after the shower in the evening to prolong the scent, but the wife was not too keen on the idea. Since then, I have been applying hair tonic as a body spray after the shower. Just the right intensity. No complaints. Usually, it is the same hair tonic I spray on my hair.

And like you, I wear it because it smells nice and I have several in my rotation as well.

Thanks for sharing, fellow Texan.

Cheers y-all,
Richard
North Texas
Coche_y_bondhu
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Coche_y_bondhu »

Hello Todd,

Still cool en Tejas del Norte. 90 degree days start mainly in late May and early June, as Charles will attest to from his pleasant visit, Justin in Roanoke and Tigert down in Houston. Tigert will get the brunt of the heat and humidity.

Stetson. Now there is a classic department store men's fragrance. I used to wear, many years ago, Canoe, Brut, Old Spice regular and lime, Royal Copenhagen, Paco Rabonne, Hai Karate. And I probably overdid the applications then. One's senses get more sophisticated as one ages; however, there are some young gents who have a gift for fragrances right from the beginning and dramatically reduce the learning curve.

If that Stetson is that potent, you can try decanting and diluting it with some alcohol. How much? Don't know. Just experiment. Or try wetting your palms first, then applying "your drop" to the wet palms and apply that way. I wouldn't wear it if it gave me a headache or made me nauseous. Because that is the bottomline in wearing fragrances: you wear it because you like the scent and because it makes you feel good.

Quality of the blend has a definite effect on the radiance of the scent, the transition from one note to the next one, and sometimes its staying power. Some people don't mind wearing light scents and refreshing themselves midday or just before heading out for the evening. Others prefer intense up front scents that last for an hour or so. And still others, like a scent that is long lasting for hours. I prefer this type of fragrance. A long-lasting cologne or EDT that is not "in your face" all the time, but is sophisticated enough to slowly eminate into a subtle presence hours later.

Try lots of samples (vials are best; skip the scent cards) and wear what you like best. Your "love at first scent" sounds like Eucris. There will be others. Trust me.

Cheers, y'all
Richard
East of Roanoke (TX)
jdtx3302

Post by jdtx3302 »

Todd - I have made several phone calls and e-mails to some of the major fragrance companies (i.e Floris, Truefitt and Hill, Trumpers, etc.) as recommended by Richard and most of the will send you samples. I can not wait for all of them to come in the mail just so I can try them out. trying out new things is very exciting to me.

Richards post at Wetshavers on MSN is really informative and in the documents section it has how to get ahold of most of the companies I mentioned above.

It was definitely close to 90 this past weekend reaching 82 on Sunday and around the same on Monday. It will be back down into the 50s by Wednesday though. We have some really wacky weather.

Take it easy.
Justin
West of Plano (TX)
Justin
Texas
jdtx3302

Post by jdtx3302 »

Todd,

I will let you know if a "late teen/early twenty something could pull this off very easily" if they send me some Eucris, being that I am 23 :) . Can't hurt to try though.

Justin
Justin
Texas
jdtx3302

Post by jdtx3302 »

Thanks Todd,

No you don't come off snobby at all, I was just joking around. I know what you meant by saying that and it is perfectly okay with me. There are several people in my age group that would laugh at me for using a brush to shave. I do not really care what other people think of what I do. I do things my way and they can laugh all they want.

I just got my samples from Floris last night, they were of JF, Elite, Santal, and Cefiro. I am wearing the Santal today and it is a very good scent I like it alot. I will try at least the JF and Elite. The Cefiro is a gender neutral fragrance and I did not like the smell of it all that much. I am hoping to get my samples from T&H, Castle Forbes, and Trumper's within the next week. Needless to say I do no think I will buy any bottles for a while with all of these samples rolling in and I will definitely not wear the same scent for a while. It actually kinda fun.

Justin
Justin
Texas
Coche_y_bondhu
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Coche_y_bondhu »

Hello Justin,

Santal is my "love at at first scent" from the Floris line. Also, note that it does not contain any sandalwood (name is a bit deceiving).

I am hoping you are wearing the fragrances for at least 2-3 hours before dismissing it. Remember, you are just sniffing the top note in the vial. That scent will disperse in about 10-15 minutes.

When I try different fragrances, I use half the vial. I save the other half for later just in case I need to revisit it. Sometimes a fragrance will just "shake hands" with you. You need to meet again for that "embracing hug". And if you are not overly crazy about the scent enough to buy a bottle, you can always use up those partially full vials as "travel" scents, just enough left for one light application. Saves you from having to take your "good stuff" on the road and risk breakage and leakage.

Cheers,
Richard
A Few Miles West of Louisiana
tigert

Post by tigert »

Uilleann Pipes wrote:The Eucris is a man's scent, boys needn't apply. Seriously, I don't think a late teen/early twenty something could pull this off very easily. Who knows? As always with scents, TRY it first. Some guys can pull off anything with colognes.
I totally agree that some scents are more age specific, I'm 24 and I think most of the T&H / Trumper scents like spanish leather, eucris, sandalwood, etc are too 'old man' for me to pull off. Actually I think T&H 1805 which you didn't like is one of the few T&H scents I would wear, but I don't think its really that unique of a fragrance so I wouldn't buy it (although I do use the 1805 shave cream).

There are some other fragrances though that are probably more suited to an older crowd, such as LV piper nigrum, that I really like and feel I can pull off. So as you said, always try it first, and always let it dry down before you judge the fragrance. :)
tigert

Post by tigert »

drmoss_ca wrote:Ouch! That was below the belt. Eucris is a scent that does not allow for half measures. You wear it boldly, or not at all - everyone is going to detect it. I suspect that age only comes into it in as far as a young fellow might not have the confidence to get up everyone else's nose this way.
Chris
Haha, sorry if that came out wrong, I wasn't trying to swing below the belt.. but I think you are right about the boldness of Eucris being what makes it more for an older crowd. Most of the younger crowd are primarily wearing the light citrusy scents (although many severly overapply these scents thus making them not so light). Personally I like to go for some of the bolder spicy scents, but the Eucris is a bit much for me to handle :)
jdtx3302

Post by jdtx3302 »

Todd -- In order to obtain samples I just went to the Floris site (www.florislondon.com) and got the number for the New York store and ask for samples and they sent them. Richard has some good contacts for some of the other companies. Castle Forbes and T&H will send samples also. Still working on Trumper's.

Today I tried the Floris JF and I personally liked it alot. I really liked it when it mellowed out after an hour or so. However, I still like Santal better. I am going to try out the Elite tomorrow.

The reason I want to try all of this stuff is because I am tired of all the "department" store brands and them all smelling the same.

On another note I finally got my DE, brush, and Mr. Taylor's so I can start experimenting with all of that stuff. Going to use the brush and cream tomorrow, but wait til this weekend so I can have more time to try the DE.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Justin
Justin
Texas
Coche_y_bondhu
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Coche_y_bondhu »

Hello Todd,

Well put about "designer" and "department store" fragrances. Here is something from www.aftelier.com that sums up natural versus synthetic aromatics:

“Discovering the art of natural perfumery is like crossing the threshold of a beautiful old house and finding it utterly intact and splendidly furnished—but deserted, as if it had been suddenly abandoned. It took centuries to discover ways of extracting scent from aromatic materials. Yet just as a full palette of natural essences became available, commercial perfumers began to set them aside in favor of synthetic ingredients, which are cheaper, sturdier, and more uniform in quality. Unfortunately, they have none of the richness or complexity of the natural ingredients, and they result in "linear" fragrances that strike the senses bluntly, all at once.

Natural essences contain minute traces of various materials, which is why Moroccan rose smells different from Bulgarian rose or Egyptian rose. Synthetics can approximate the dominant qualities of the natural essences, but they cannot capture the same subtlety or softness, nor can they mimic the way natural perfumes evolve on the skin, uniquely in response to body chemistry.”

You mentioned Taylor Victorian Limes EDT. You might want to also consider Castle Forbes Lime Cologne. A very sophisticated fragrance, not a "candy sweet" lime, different lime. I think Charles calls it "piquant". Charles also can get you that CF Limes cologne (limited edition).

Cheers, y'all
Richard
Plano TX
joefriday

Post by joefriday »

tigert wrote:I always spray the fragrance into one hand and then rub my hands together, then I use my hands to massage it into my entire upper body, but primarily on my arms, chest and neck. I find that massaging it in like this increases the staying power of the scent and also makes it blend more with my body oils which will bring out certain notes in the fragrance and cause it to evolve throughout the day.
While I don't claim to be an expert, my understanding is that you are never supposed to rub, massage, grind or otherwise mash the scent into your skin as the molecules are very delicate and easily damaged. I've been told that this will significantly affect the scent, and not for the better. Lightly patting the skin is apparently okay. YMMV.
Coche_y_bondhu
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Coche_y_bondhu »

Hello JoeFriday,

Welocme to our world :).

What you say is true. For example, many women will rub their wrists together after spraying their perfume there. As you said, this will alter the scent.

I guess if the person rubbing their wrists together or the person rubbing it on their chest and arms, likes the resultant outcome, and it makes them happy and feeling good about themselves, then it works for them.

Fragrance selection and application will always be a personal endeavor. I'll try the rubbing method next time with my usual colognes and see if I detect any difference. It is always fun to experiment. This area of gentleman's grooming is probably the most mystical, complex and expensive.

Again, welcome to the community. Looking forward to your postings.

Cheers,

Richard
Someplace in North Texas
joefriday

Post by joefriday »

Thanks for the welcome Richard! I've always been a masher myself :) and I don't know if my nose would detect a difference. As I indicated, and you so rightly stated, individual mileage may vary, and whatever works, works...right? Scent is a VERY individual experience.

Enjoying the forum so far...been a wetshaver for about 35 years now, but can always learn something new.

Neil