Smokers, Unite

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
fatcity

Smokers, Unite

Post by fatcity »

So, as an unabashed smoker what scents do you gents feel compliment the 'stench' of Luckies?
HH
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

HH, Welcome to SMF. I moved your thread here, it being more specific to your topic. Well, even though I'm a smoker as well, the real answer is probably 'none'....at least to non-smokers. However, older style more potent scents probably make the cig. smell less obvious; Knize Ten, Floris No 89, Taylors Sandalwood, Trumpers Spanish Leather, Santa Maria Novella Peau de Espagna, the old Creed Tabarome, etc.
Regards,
Gordon
mmack66

Post by mmack66 »

Tabac
Mark
divotmax

Post by divotmax »

Well, since nothing will "compliment" the odor of cigarette smoke, there may be things that "complement" it, meaning go along with, if anyone really believes that a fragrance will do anything other than attempt to cover up the smell. Other smokers won't care and non-smokers will not notice any improvement. My smoking friends have tried 4711, or any department store cologne. It really doesn't make a lot of difference.
BobS

Life is too short not to use a sharp blade and a good brush.
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Gordon, you smoke? Funny... I have a hard time picturing that.
Regards,
Jani
drumana

Post by drumana »

I agree with Gordon's choices mentioned above... The more 'modern' scents don't work as well with the smell of someone who smokes, IMO.
-Andrew-
Churchill

Post by Churchill »

How 'bout Floris Elite? To me it already smells smokey.
Bob
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Bob, good suggestion. It does have a slight tinge of tobacco smoke to it.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

Scope mouthwash, used as an after shave though. Really....why don't you just splash-on a little bay rum or English Leather and leave it at that. BTW, for those of you now thinking of 'taking up' the habit because 'Gordon does'....let me remind you, it does cause heart disease, lung cancer and the more traditional brands have been re-blended, ain't what they used to be......

Best,
Fitch
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Fitch, I stopped smoking about a year before I met my girlfriend. I was smoking cigars. Now I just smoke at special occasions.
Regards,
Jani
prism

Post by prism »

Alt Innsbruck. Virginia tobacco extract is one of the ingredients. Very unique scent, and very bracing; it's heavy on the menthol.
Make Mine Menthol! Vic
SirCur

Post by SirCur »

Double H, I'll second the Floris Elite recommendation - the slight "tobacco" in it will blend with the residual smoke smell.

You might also want to try Creed Bois du Portugal - it's strong enough to cut through and mask other smells, plus, it projects well. I have heard that Knize Ten does the same thing, and is strong also.

Best ... Steve
To want what I have
To take what I'm given with grace
For this I pray
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Cuiron.

Or Balafre, or Bel-Ami, both of which are discontinued. DAMN THEM.

So it's Cuiron.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bel-Ami definately. So, they discontinued that one, did they? Figures.
Regards,
Gordon
tonyespo
The Goldfather

Post by tonyespo »

There is a scent called LUCKY YOU. I haven't tried it but is sounds like Lucky Strikes. :lol:
Tony Espo ( Lover of Knize )
Go for the GOLD.

Through my will power I dare to do what I want.
i_shaved_something

Post by i_shaved_something »

tonyespo wrote:There is a scent called LUCKY YOU. I haven't tried it but is sounds like Lucky Strikes. :lol:
In that vein how about Marlborough Cologne then? :) Haven't tried it either but they got the name close....

Seriously though only thing I've smelled that's smoky is Tabac shave soap..def has a tobacco kind of vibe, makes me want to smoke a pipe while shaving. I'm guessing their aftershaves etc would be similar?

Also maybe Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve, that has a strange smoke/leather kind of vibe to it IMO.
Rob
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

I don't have any suggestions.... I'm just stunned that Gordon is a smoker and am curious about what is his cigarette of choice.(please, please be something that is not English and discontinued) :wink:

Gordon, even though I like to poke fun at some of your stances on shaving products, that is not my intention here. I genuinely do want to know what you smoke.(really.... no wiseassery from me. I'd like to know)
~Greg
Occam

Post by Occam »

I smoked for 6 or 7 years... and haven't now for the same amount...

I also found it a bit surprising Gordon smoked... the first few images... a pipe smoking gentleman in a smoking jacket... then a headbanded hippy with a different type of smoke... ;)

I must say that I did try snus a couple of years ago... a type of chewing tobacco... and it's just not the same...
Ben

Merkur Futur in Au.
levente

Post by levente »

Michael,

Bel Ami is still very much in production, though reformulated and not nearly as appealing as before. It is the Cuiron that is not currently in production. Helmut Lang bought back his fragrance line two or three years ago and to my knowledge has not put his three fragrances back on the market. A shame, really.

Regards,
Basil
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

levente wrote:Michael,

Bel Ami is still very much in production, though reformulated and not nearly as appealing as before. It is the Cuiron that is not currently in production. Helmut Lang bought back his fragrance line two or three years ago and to my knowledge has not put his three fragrances back on the market. A shame, really.

Regards,
Basil
Hmm... gosh. I got a bottle of Cuiron only a couple of months ago; must have been old stock but it was the real thing allright. How sad. It was (is) brilliant. And by the same token I haven't seen Bel Ami around for a while and had heard it had reached the end of the line; but the guy who told me may have been referring to its reformulation. I apologize fore spreading false report & thank you for your corrections. But still... Bel Ami reformulated... oh dear. It was one of the oddest and most interesting things I've come across, so I suppose its demise was inevtiable.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis