Mr. Sydney

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
BarryR

Mr. Sydney

Post by BarryR »

Anyone know anything about it. I have a decant and tried it today. It's fairly nice (nothing amazing though), but I'm wondering what are it's 'notes'. The TOBS website and a google search have given me know info, so I j just emailed an inquiry. Seems to me like there's at least some citrus, but I'm a novice at the 'name that note' game.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Barry, You're referring to Taylors Mr. Sidney's cologne and A/S? Yeah, I turned Brett on to that one and he grew quite fond of it. To me it's mainly an herbly sort of scent, not that dissimiliar in general type from their better known Mr Taylors. No incense notes though.
Regards,
Gordon
BarryR

Post by BarryR »

bernards66 wrote:Barry, You're referring to Taylors Mr. Sidney's cologne and A/S? Yeah, I turned Brett on to that one and he grew quite fond of it. To me it's mainly an herbly sort of scent, not that dissimiliar in general type from their better known Mr Taylors. No incense notes though.
Regards,
Gordon
Yes. I'm referring to the cologne (I don't have the aftershave). I thought it's lighter and maybe more fruity/citrusy than Mr. Taylors, but both are pleasant and subtle (I have a cologne decant and A/S gel for Mr. Taylor).
BarryR

Re: Mr. Sydney

Post by BarryR »

BarryR wrote:Anyone know anything about it. I have a decant and tried it today. It's fairly nice (nothing amazing though), but I'm wondering what are it's 'notes'. The TOBS website and a google search have given me know info, so I j just emailed an inquiry. Seems to me like there's at least some citrus, but I'm a novice at the 'name that note' game.
FYI -- I emailed TOBS and here's their reply:
Thank you for your email.

As per your request, please find below a fragrance description of Mr. Sydney's Aftershave:

A crisp and spicy fragrance in which Chacal, Lavender and Incense combine with hints of Green Galbanum and Citrus for an elegant manly scent and a warm, woody drydown with traces of Sandal, Patchouli and Musk.

If you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Interesting. Mr. Sydney is one I still haven't gotten around to trying, though Mr. Taylor was a fast favorite with me and remains an essential in my shave den. I've read the similarities before, but if it's a bit lighter and more citrusy, it might be that Mr. Sydney would be summer's answer to Mr. Taylor, which I've found I can't wear in the hot months, at least not easily.

It's funny: I love Taylor Sandalwood and Mr. Taylor. I really liked the scent of Shaving Shop cream, though it irritated my skin. And yet I haven't explored the other Taylor colognes at all. I know Taylor Sandalwood is a bit different, but Gordon has mentioned that the others all fall within a certain house style or character - perhaps a bit of crisp sharpness and gentlemanly subtlety - and so I need to explore. I'll have to try to get a sample of Mr. Sydney as a place to start.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
BarryR

Post by BarryR »

TBoner wrote:I'll have to try to get a sample of Mr. Sydney as a place to start.
I got a sampler set of most of their colognes from here
in case you're interested.http://www.badgerdecants.com/

He sells individual decants and also has a specific TOBS set.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Okay....fine....so there ARE incense notes in Mr. Sidney's as well. So sue me....anyway, they are less pronounced than in the Mr. Taylors. Now that Taylors has finally supplied some description of the composition of Mr. Sidneys, one can see that it plainly would share similiarities with the Mr. Taylor's scent. But yes, it is a wee bit 'lighter' with a slight hint of citrus that Mr. Taylor's doesn't have. Still, quite similiar overall.
Regards,
Gordon
Brett G
Viscount Krona

Post by Brett G »

I might be the only gent on this board who regularly wears Mr. Sidney. I have a certain fondness for it because it was my first "real" scent, my wife absolutely loves it, and I do genuinely like the fragrance.

I would describe the scent as a cross between Clubman and Grey Flannel, with a medicinal/herbal overtone . Maybe that's what they mean by "incense", althought I wouldn't describe it that way. I don't really get any citrus out of it either. The only specific note I get upon application is lavender. Dry down does have the musk/patchouli quality described before. All in all I think Mr. Sidney is a damn fine everyday/all-season wear.
Brett
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ah Brett, good to hear from you again. Keep an eye on your PMs as you might have one from Paul at Connaught Shaving.
Regards,
Gordon