In praise of Thayer's Aftershave

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Kyle76

In praise of Thayer's Aftershave

Post by Kyle76 »

I had read about this aftershave on the board and finally found it in a local health food store. It comes in a 4-oz. bottle for about $5 (probably much cheaper if you can find it in a discount store -- you know how these health food places are!). It has about 15% alcohol and also has aloe for soothing properties. It has a somewhat bitter scent, but the scent disappears almost immediately, and it does not intefere at all with ASB that I generally finish up with. It's a very nice step immediately after the shave. There's a little burn if you have some irritation, but it quickly goes away and the overall effect is to cool your face. I find I am using it nearly every day. One hint: it has a foil seal over the top and a fairly large opening. On my second bottle, I poked a couple of small holes in the seal with a toothpick, so now it's easier to dispense without getting too much.
Jim
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

A big + from me on this one!

Thayers After Shave and Medicated Superhazel are both very worthy products. I transferred my Thayers After Shave into an empty after shave bottle which had a shaker, makes dispensing a lot easier.

I like the After Shaves crisp and clean scent and for some reason whenever I use it, it reminds me of the sea coast.

While I have roughly a dozen after shaves in the drawer I will always keep a spot open in the rotation for Thayers.
Good shaving,

Gary
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

I have a dozen aftershaves, too, mostly bay rum. But those others, all combined, don't get the usage that Thayer's gets. Just a great a/s splash. Interestingly, I have older bottles with a top like the Thayer's witch hazel bottles which are easy to dispense some. Newer bottles just have an open mouth and have a different ingredient list (or rather, the ingredients are in a different order). I haven't used the newer stuff, but I wonder if there was reformulation or just a reconfiguration of how things are listed. I'll post the ingredient lists sometime soon and try the two side by side, one on each cheek.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I don't often frequent this forum and I was pleasantly surprised to find this thread.

I use the Thayer "astringents," which are 10% alcohol. These come in Unscented, Lemon, and Peach. This isn't enough alcohol to cause burn - in fact the astringents are very soothing to the skin. I usually mix them with a tiny bit of lather residue for a creamy finish.

One thing I really like about the astringents is that they have no preservatives or questionable ingredients, while the "toners" have methylparaben and propylene glycol.

- Murray
Give me Soap or give me death!
n33470

Post by n33470 »

Thought I'd throw this link out there if anyone needed more details on Thayer's product line I just noticed that they offer a sample pack, which is a 2 oz bottle of each one of their products.

Nice stuff, inexpensive, long-lasting, and good. How often do you find that combination nowadays!

--steve
never2close

Post by never2close »

Thayer's After Shave is the best that I've found, and it's cheap. I rotate everything in my routine except the Thayer's.
JimT

Post by JimT »

Murray,

Like you, I also only used the Thayer's Lemon Witch Hazel for similar reasons and also because I really like the scent. I haven't used an aftershave in many months now because I haven't needed one, but if I ever use one again, it will only be the Thayer's Lemon Witch Hazel.

JimT
The Riehle Axiom - "One test is worth a thousand expert opinions"
koso

Post by koso »

I love Thayers and rotate between the Original Toner and the Astringent with alcohol depending on the shave (I'll hit an alum block if I get nicks, then rock the Toner, otherwise the Astringent).

Is there any real difference between the Astringent and the After Shave? Seems like a touch more alcohol in the AS might be the extent.

Not that I'm knocking, just observing. I genuflect before the Thayers.