Fall suggestions?

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Fall suggestions?

Post by Sam »

Here is what I have: Green Irish Tweed (year round), Millisime Imperial (late spring to early fall); Tauer L'Air du Desert Morocain (year round); Montale Red Vetyver (summer) and am getting Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo.
I also like the smokiness and woods of Comme Des Garcons 2 Man

I just bought Le Labo Rose 31 and on me, it turns fecal. I do not think Rose scents are for me: Pasteum Rose, too fruity, Hamman and Blenheim Bouquet, either too piney or something. Rose Poivree by TDC, too something.

I love spicy, and Idole would be great but it dies after 4 hours. Les Neredes Imperial Oppoponax is too vanilla, and Chergui got to be too powdery (I know they say that there was no reformulation but I think there was - more hay now, less honey goodness). Yerbamate goes powdery on me, and vanilla and powder and I do not get along.

So, I am thinking going back to Piper Nigrum, though to the end, it gets creamy (amber I think) or Cuba by Czech and Speake. They say maybe try Havana by Aramis that is being reissued. thoughts or other suggestions?
Last edited by Sam on Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
95%

Post by 95% »

Sam, you should have titled your thread: "Look on my list, ye mighty, and despair!" I thought I had made some inroads into the world of colognes with 40 or 50 samples, yet I have only two that you name - the two by Penhaligon that you dislike.

Today I tried Knize Ten again, and liked it enough to consider acquiring a bottle. It belongs on your list.
Porter
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I dont do well with leather. Many of the classic scents I dont do well with, but I do think I recall liking Devin, a pine scent
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

I was listening to Vivaldi's Four Seasons as I read your post. Seasons In Southern California seem to revolve around brushfires, mythological earthquake weather and the Oscar's :lol: Yesterday I was dragged to a estate sale. I bought 3 NIB Woods of Windsor and love the stuff. Now I read in older threads it is discontinued and am pursuing remaining cache's with food and gas money.
Your present collection sounds and I bet smells amazing.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Sam, ( chuckle ) You've moved beyond my ken. It's unlikely that you haven't already tried anything that I'm fond of.....at least of the stuff that's still available. And oy!...so many perimeters; no leather, no 'powder', pine iffy....sigh. You've almost painted yourself into a connoiseur's corner at this point. I've started wearing Trumpers Spanish Leather again, on the weekends, even though it's still 91 degress here because, dammit1, it's starting to be autumn in most normal places. Spanish Leather would be my 'autumn fragrance'....if we had an autumn. But your personal search does not seem as if it's going to be an easy one at this point. Time to confer with Mr. Bargepole perhaps.
Regards,
Gordon
Baloosh

Post by Baloosh »

I'm becoming more and more enamored with Taylor's Sandalwood with the quickly approaching cooler weather this year. There's just something comforting about it... don't know what it is exactly.

Granted that's not as esoteric as some of the ones you mentioned, Sam, but there you are nevertheless. :)
Jason

Post by paperpundit »

...and here I was, having broken out my driver caps, thinking I was the only one holding onto the idea of fall in Tampa.

Don't worry, Gordon...it'll be 85 in no time! :lol:
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Noir Epices, perhaps? Diptyque Eau Lente is damn good in the smoky misty autumn twilight, as is Messe de Minuit (Etro). (They market it at women but we don't care about that; as the bullfighter El Cordobes said when caught doing the dishes in a flowery apron, "Anything *I* do is macho".)

I used to like Chanel Egoiste but I gather they spoiled it. Ditto Annick Goutal Sables, which has been emasculated.

Nor do I know what the newer version of Fumerie Turque is like. But the old Tabac Blond is fubar alas.

Mouchoir de Monsieur? Or even Habit Rouge?

Or my current favourite, Dans Tes Bras (Roucel, for F. Malle, a big warm blast of Cashmeran® that all the girlies -- and one gay Italian human rights lawyer -- love so much.)

Your current line-up is pretty much beyond reproach, of course.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

Yes, Dans Tes Bras by FM is excellent. It's my favorite within the FM lineup. Call up Barneys and ask for a sample Sam.

Another one you might try is from Divine in Normandy (available here from LuckyScent) called L'Homme Sage. This is one of my "go to" fragrances for the Fall. It's a load of spices, patchouli, and immortelle.

Chris
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

a big warm blast of Cashmeran® that all the girlies
I need this stuff by the barrel ASAP

:roll:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Chris

I happened to check out the barneys site, out of curiosity of course, but there was no fm to be found. Is it there but just not online?

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Chris, I had a bottle of L'Homme Sage last year and sold it. Smelled better on paper than me wearing it. Same with Pasteum Rose
95%

Post by 95% »

Sam, apart from Green Irish Tweed, is there anything with an English name that you can stand?

How about Gordon's favorite, English Fern, or mine, Knize Forest?
Porter
whitebar

Post by whitebar »

Have you tried Bois du Portugal by Creed? You might also investigate MPG Santal Noble or Czech & Speake Frankincense & Myrrh. Both are nice scents for fall/winter. One final suggestion would be Comme Des Garcons Sequoia.
-Stephen
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

FM's Dans Tes Bras is available thru Barneys online here:
http://www.barneys.com/Dans%20Tes%20Bra ... lt,pd.html
And it's carried in all their locations I believe.

Chris
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

Sam:

You might try the new Serge Lutens Fille en Aiguilles and also the reissue of Feminite du Bois. The latter is really nice. Both are available at Barneys and Aedes.

Chris
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Jack, You betcha! By the middle of next month the mercury will be plunging down into the low "80s.....sigh.....Spanish Leather....caps...tweed....forget it...
Regards,
Gordon
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Stephen, I like the Bois du Portugal but my wife says too lavendar and on me, like an old man. I do have CDG 2 Man. Oh, and Frankinsence and Myrhh is a good call, liked that and Paradisi by Czech and Speake but I think Cuba is a better fit from that house.
95%

Post by 95% »

With all these French names, I'm discovering an inner Francophobia that I never knew I had. How about Old Spice?
Porter
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Chris, FM and Serge is a little more than I wanted to spend. Right now, Cuba, Piper and the reissued Havana by Aramis are the top of my list and I do have some Villoresi Uomo coming which may be a summer scent (or up for trade, lol)