Limes

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
teabag

Limes

Post by teabag »

Gents,

Which is the best Limes cologne, Trumpers or T&H?
Regards,

Phil.

Carpe Diem - Sieze the Day
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat - Fortune favours the brave
Araner

Post by Araner »

This doesn't answer your question, but for what it's worth I'm a big fan of Caswell-Massey's Lime cologne.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Phil, The Trumpers is a much purer 'lime' scent, but is therefore quite fleeting. The T&H is more of a 'modern' type cologne ( having been majorly re-formulated in the 1980s ) and has other prominent notes in it. Frankly, I think that the Taylors No 74 Lime ( which is the old Royal Yacht Lime cologne actually ) is better than either one. Okay, granted, the Trumpers is lovely stuff, but it's just so ephemeral. The No 74 also has a great classic scent, but has much more staying power.....and it's less expensive than either.
Regards,
Gordon
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

I go with T&H.
Haven't tried the Taylors, though.
Eric
giammi

Post by giammi »

T&H has a really strong lime smell which I still have to get used to. Taylor's 74 is more decent and classy. At the moment I would go with TOBS.
ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

I haven't tried the TOOBS lime and this thread has increased my interest in doing so. In terms of Trumpers and T&H, I find these very different limes. The Trumpers is a pure sour lime scent, I believe a Sicilian lime. The T&H is a blend based on West Indian Limes, which are a zesty lime. The other T&H notes are spicy yet fairly subtle to me. If you want any staying power, go with T&H. My personal skin chemistry doesn't match well with the sour lime scents, so I far prefer the T&H.
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
iancevans

Post by iancevans »

It's hard for me to imagine a better lime cologne than Taylor's No. 74, but I have not tried the T&H or Trumpers incarnations.
Ian

"Anything less than the best is a felony"
--Vanilla Ice
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ian, I have, plus Penhaligon's Lime, St. Johns, and a whole bunch of others and I still think that the Royal Yacht/Taylors 74 is the best overall lime cologne for gents available.
Regards,
Gordon
teabag

Post by teabag »

Thanks for the replies lads,

It appears that each has its own merit and makes the choice quite difficult of which to try.

Gordon, I could wear all three at a pinch!! Trumpers for the initial blast of the lime scent followed by the T&H for the modern day scent and Taylors to keep the longevity of the fragrance going :) Seriously though I think the positive comments about Taylors No 74 Lime has mad that a stand alone in the limes cologne department.

Excuse my ignorance but is the Taylors the No 74 Victorian Limes by any chance?
Regards,

Phil.

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Phil, Yes, that's it. It was, Royal Yacht Edwardian Lime. It is now offered by Taylors under just a slightly different name....even the bottle they use is the same...but with a different style cap. Really nice stuff.
Regards,
Gordon
teabag

Post by teabag »

Thank you Gordon.
Regards,

Phil.

teabag

Post by teabag »

Gordon,
On a separate point, is Taylor's Bay Rum Cologne any good?

Thank you,

Phil.
Regards,

Phil.

gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Interesting - not one comment for Royall Lyme All Purpose Lotion.
Good shaving,

Gary
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Phil, Yeah sure, if you like bay rum. We've had many threads on bay rums if you want to look them up. I'm not a big wearer of it, but my favourites, FWIW, are the D R Harris's version, and St. Johns.

Gary, Well, he asked about Trumpers and T&H, and so the hop to the Taylors version was a short one. IMO, while the Royall version is nice enough, it is very light and fleeting, and for that sort of lime scent I think the Trumpers is tops.
Regards,
Gordon
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

gsgo wrote:Interesting - not one comment for Royall Lyme All Purpose Lotion.
Gary,

The Royall Lyme is excellent to be sure but it's more of a floral lime, though very much distinctly lime. I enjoy it very much.

Chris
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

I get decent life out of Royall Lyme and enjoy the scent, it is also the only lime cologne/spray/lotion I have experience with at the moment.
Good shaving,

Gary
Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

bernards66 wrote:Phil, The Trumpers is a much purer 'lime' scent, but is therefore quite fleeting. The T&H is more of a 'modern' type cologne ( having been majorly re-formulated in the 1980s ) and has other prominent notes in it. Frankly, I think that the Taylors No 74 Lime ( which is the old Royal Yacht Lime cologne actually ) is better than either one. Okay, granted, the Trumpers is lovely stuff, but it's just so ephemeral. The No 74 also has a great classic scent, but has much more staying power.....and it's less expensive than either.
Regards,
Gordon
+4 on the Taylor's. Great stuff. I should wear it more often.

-Tye
Contributing Member to the Cause
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

The Royall Lime has a very sharp lime scent. I'm not sure how long it lasts in terms of someone else catching a whiff, but I can put it on in the morning, and if I rub my face at night I can still smell it.
Jim
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey Phil, never met a lime I didn't like and have used most of them. I currently have Trumpers, Taylors, T&H and Royall. I don't expect any of them to last very long and use them for their immediate scent along. For that reason I marginally prefer Trumpers.
Regards,
Squire
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Trumper for me. Still. Despite everything else they've done. It's the great classic. I haven't seen the Penhaligon for a million years. Have they reintroduced it? It was very fine stuff as I recall.

I love the idea of "all-purpose lotion". In the same league as Trumper San Remo hair stuff, which claimed it "... prevents irritation of every description".
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis