Witch Hazel-Dickenson's vs. Thayer's

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Humphrey's is good stuff. I find it for about $3 in the Hispanic section of our grocery stores. It definitely smells cheap and medicinal, but then again, I use straight witch hazel only as a toner, applied with a cotton ball nightly before bed. What do I care about the scent? As aftershave, I use Thayer's a/s splash, not their straight witch hazels. I don't have any problem with their "not distilled" claim, dishonest though it may be. Marketing fluff abounds. However, the price on their witch hazel is too high. I found Dickinson's for $0.50/bottle at Walgreen's when the packaging changed a few months back. Cleared the shelf. I'll be good to go for a few years now. :roll: :lol: :lol:

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
95%

Post by 95% »

Thanks, Ron, I'll pick up a bottle. By the way, I only leave witch hazel on my face for a minute or two while I'm tidying up after the shave. Then I rinse it off with cold water and apply an aftershave balm.
Porter
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

The smell of witch hazel is something you 'acquire.' I couldn't get it for two years overseas until my family sent a few bottles. I tell you, it was like rose petals, or a familiar smell like Play-Do and Big leaf Sycamore leaves after rain.
It's asringent properties are not folklore. How not to be indelicate? Well, hemmorhoid sufferers will find it's relieves itching and shrinks the tissues.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Porter, Like Tim, I've found Humphrey's in markets that cater to the Spanish speaking population here, or in that section of chain supermarkets. I first really used it when I was living in Mexico years ago. First time I'd really seen it, or at least noticed it, as I grew up with Dickinson's. The scent of it has never bothered me, of course, because I grew up with the stuff and it has positive associations for me. And as another poster noted, it fades away quickly in any case.
Regards,
Gordon
GrantPark

Post by GrantPark »

Some mix in drops of Essential Oils to enhance the scent of their plain witch hazel. I'm using peppermint, rosemary, and lavender, (1.5:2.5:3.5) based on a recipe I ran across elsewhere. Smells great, and I really like it. Peppermint's a bit bracing (in a good way, for me).

However, it would be really nice to hear from some expert scent blenders here who can suggest some other EO combos and the proportions. Anyone?
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

GrantPark wrote:..other EO combos........ Anyone?
Did you say sandalwood? :D
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

I just reconnoitered my local stores and FINALLY found Dickensons @ $3.99 for 16 oz.at the market listed on their website. I asked a clerk where it was and he thought they had it in for Halloween but had sent that seasonal stuff back. Then, looking at my vintage mechanical watch, he proudly dsplayed his Cadillac hubcap multi function piece and asked if I knew what the 'Green-Witch' setting meant. I explained it was a marketing feature for pagans in the U.K. for pointing to Stonehenge at noontime :roll:
I also found Humphries at our local latino market, only they wanted $6 for 14 oz and I learned they use 14% grain alcohol vs 14% isopropyll in Dickensons.
I bought a huge burrito and a Carta Blanca @ 3.2% instead. :wink:
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

I've never found any big difference between the various WH's regardless of price. Since I mix several EO's and a dash of grain alcohol in it anyway it doesen't matter. I use Master's WH most of the time because of the price; five bucks for a quart.
Regards,
David
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

I use Thayers Lemon witch hazel. Wonderful scent. I splash it on and leave it, since it dries fairly quickly and leaves my skin feeling great.

Dave
drumana

Post by drumana »

I have both Thayer's and Dickenson's - for me, both work the same - Thayer's has nicer packaging, better scents and a higher price tag.
-Andrew-
malocchio

Re: Witch Hazel-Dickenson's vs. Thayer's

Post by malocchio »

The price of Witch Hazel is going through the roof !...I have always used Humphreys and Dickinsons,but Humphreys is up to $11,and others are going up along with it.I saw Witch Hazel at Walmart @ $1.44 for a pint,standard 14% alcohol ratio,but can it be the same at that price ??