Matching Aftershave to Cologne

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
chrisisconnorsdad

Matching Aftershave to Cologne

Post by chrisisconnorsdad »

So the samples I recieved from GFT and T&H made me realize that even within the same company it is not necessarily possible to use one product line for your whole morning routine. Although it would be fairly easy to match a shave soap/cream to your aftershave, it seems near impossible to match aftershave (which lingers in the morning) to cologne (which lingers all day).

Any suggestions for avoiding a bad pairing or should I just assume that by the time it might matter the aftershave would be gone.

(noticed this morning when I tried Coral Skin Food for the first time...Woooo oooo...I never guessed the scent was that strong. Still dont know if I like it),
Chris
------------
I step out of the shower, steaming up the place
Wipe off the mirror, shave my baby face
Can't help but smile, hey what can I say
I got my game on
-Trace Adkins
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

hi chris

only the nose knows ...

i use coral skin food and i find the scent to be light and hasnt really affected my colognes which i seldom use

the skin food smells strong from the bottle but i use a half a drop so its not overly strong actually barely noticable

on the other hand pinaud clubman thats a whole nother story. i love the scent and even its a aftershave works like a cologne haha

marc
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

We all have unique body chemistry that will alter a scent. If you eat a clove of garlic and splash on the most expensive cologne birds may fall dead from the sky while Miss September pledges her undying love.
It's a real alchemist's commitment to find individual items that work, note their lifespan and what can be overlayered without killing more birds.
Scents sem to be classed in groups by ingredients; fruits and spices vs dead deer glands etc. If you start the day, ie with Old limey english shaving soap, splash on some key lime pie aftershave and later Jimmy Buffet signature margaritaville eau de cologne chances are less of some Hazel the Witch casting a spell on you.
chrisisconnorsdad

KAV wrote:We all have unique body chemistry that will alter a scent. If you eat a clove of garlic and splash on the most expensive cologne birds may fall dead from the sky while Miss September pledges her undying love.
If you find this one let me know. I am trying to avoid lime overload. I have the soap but I just splash some patron on afterwards as my aftershave.

: D
Chris
------------
I got my game on
-Trace Adkins
ATLpr8head

Post by ATLpr8head »

I either am weird when it comes to pairing soaps>aftershaves>cologne. If I do plan on wearing a stronger cologne for the day that does match a current AS I will use Speick, Proraso, LaToja, most lime splashes or an unscented balm. The soaps or creams rarely carry on the scent after final rinse with exception of a few(Tabac,Palmolive Indian version, T&H Tralfagar).

If I use Brut, Aqua Velva, Clubman, Alt Innsbruck, Osage Rub(I also apply to hair/scalp) or Old Spice as an aftershave I will use it as a cologne as well because they dont mesh with any cologne I have. Some good matches of AS and colognes are:

Musgo Real> English Fern-Wild Fern
Cade> LOccitane and there Vetyver or really any woodsy cologne
English Leather(Yeah I know)> GFT Spanish leather(really a great combo)

The combos are endless. I made a mistake once of applying liberal amount of Aqua Velva and following up with Creed Silver Mountain Water(no clue what I was thinking). Girl at Dunkin Donuts told me I smelled horrible and after checking the 2 scents next to each other....I did smell fairly vile.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Chris, my shave soap/cream, aftershave and cologne are usually all from different companies. Personal preference and body chemistry play a large role but for the most part I just use what I like.
Regards,
Squire
swarden43

Post by swarden43 »

I use what my wife and I both like. If neither of us like it, I won't wear it. She's the only one I have to please. I really only use Brut or Curve cologne. I don't have the funds to try and match an entire lineup for all the soaps I have.

As for trying to match, after the scent from my bath soap in the shower, the scent from my shampoo, the scent from my shave soap, the scent from my aftershave or balm, the scent from my deodorant.... you get the idea. At the end of the day my wife snuggles in close and says I smell good. That tells me I have a good match. What more could a guy ask for?
Take care and God bless,
Steve
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I'm not sure quite what the problem is here. If you're using a significently scented traditional A/S, you just use that as your cologne as well....double duty. If you're using a lightly scented A/S preparation that fades quickle, like Harris's Pink for example, then it doesn't matter as it will disappear and whatever cologne you use will take over. Or, if you're feeling flush you can use both the A/S and cologne from the same scent line-up. I personally don't concern myself with the scent of the shave cream/soap as I use traditional scents and with only a couple of exceptions the scent from those fades away with the rinse water.
Regards,
Gordon
chrisisconnorsdad

No problem. Just wondering what everyone else does. I kinda feel soap/aftershave is for yourself and cologne is for whoever you are trying to impress.
Chris
------------
I got my game on
-Trace Adkins
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, I agree that the scent of the shave product is there for the shaver's enjoyment, whilst cologne is for himself and ( hopefully ) is pleasing to others also. I have to admit that I have seen what seemed to me to be weird combinations in the SOTD section; strongly scented aftershaves followed by equally strong, but quite different, colognes. But hey, it that's the way they want to go. For myself, I favour keeping it simple, and the scent singular.
Regards,
Gordon
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

I agree, Gordon. I would have trouble, for instance, using any cologne after Aqua Velva. It's pretty potent stuff. On the rare occasion that I use a strongly scented a/s, I forego cologne.

I have found myself basically using either Thayer's aftershave or Harris Pink, either of which disappears quickly, and then having freedom to choose my cologne without interference. I have gone through phases where I tried to match soap, aftershave, and cologne, but anymore, it's not worth the effort nor the slight skin annoyance of switching up aftershaves all the time.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau