Eau Sauvage?

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
DEF

Eau Sauvage?

Post by DEF »

Dior Eau Sauvage sounds appealing. For those who know, is it a reasonably bright and crisp scent? I understand "citrus with herbs," but there can be a great deal of latitude depending on how the herbs are done.

The way I interpret what I've read about ES, it sounds like what you'd get if Taylor tried to make Blenheim Lite. Which would not be a bad thing in my book.

Thanks,
Doug
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Doug, I was 18 in 1978 and married in 1984. So for 6 years or so, I was getting to buy scents that I thought were great. Here is what I fondly remember

Eau Savage - yes citrus, but short lived. This made me get my first same-scented aftershave balm

Paco Rabanne, green bottle

Halston I-12 and Z-14
Royal Copenhagen Musk
The First Calvin Klein cologne
Oscar Pour Lui by Oscar de la Renta
Givenchy Gentleman
Imperial by Guerlain
Polo by Ralph Lauren
Gucci's first

Now, I wanted to revisit Givenchy and Dior and, well, they don't smell like they did, first, and second, they don't react well on me now.
RazorRamone

Post by RazorRamone »

I recall it short lived as well. For all of its followers, I found this fragrance rather uninspired IMO. I remember the focus on top notes... leaving me wanting to reach for BB's well balanced citrus/pine scent.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Doug, Dior Eau Savage was one of the first big time 'designer' scents for men, and it's success was a big part of starting up that train...that led to where men's scent is today ( which as you know, ain't good, IMO ). It is also one of the last widely available men's colognes that I actually liked. I wouldn't buy any today, because I've found other similiar type scents from the small London firms that I like better, but it WAS a nice cologne. The last time I sampled it I noticed a certain 'sweetness' to the middle notes that I hadn't years ago. I think this was a result of my sniffer becoming more attuned in the interum...and my tastes changing a bit as well. It's worth checking out. It is a 'classic' because of the impact that it had, and it is a nice cologne ( assuming that what you get now isn't that different from what it used to be....which I don't know one way or the other ).
Regards,
Gordon
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Being about the same age as Sam I was pouring on the Dior at about the same time that he was. Boy did I kiss a lot back then.....that stuff was like a magnet. Too bad it isn't the same as it was.....at the very least the magnet part is gone :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Gordon, wasn't this cologne in the vein of Eau de Cologne?
Regards,
Jani
reggiano

Post by reggiano »

1976, my girlfriend Sarah D would steal her brother's ES and splash it all over me. Ah, 1976!
DEF

Post by DEF »

Thanks, gents. Right now, for summer I have TOBS No. 74 Limes, English Fern, and Florida Water. I was thinking to buy one more, but there's probably no need.
Doug
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Doug, one would think that would be enough.
Regards,
Jani
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Sam,
Yay! for Paco Rabanne! Helps, of course, if one has memories of Ibiza and a good deal of rosado on the same trip. Loved those Farias cigars.

Chris
The prices, the quiet and the general backwardness made Franco's Spain rather attractive. Such thoughts are instantly, and correctly, dispersed by reading 'The Spanish Civil War' by Hugh Thomas, and I would be delighted to pay for my pleasures there by strangling El Caudillo were the old b*gger still around and available for the purpose.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Eau Sauvage was a masterpiece. Was. A pale sugary ghost of itself now. The trick was some stuff called Hedione™ which the perfumer - Edmond Roudnitska - got a period of exclusive rights to, I believe. Weird stuff. On its own it's a sort of slightly brisk jasmine-and-pear-skins smell (at least to my nose) but in combination with citrus oils it seems to prolong their presence. So the effect is (was) a faintly floral cologne with a long--lasting freshness. It was quite something. Now it's just inoffensive, unfortunately. Remembering the smell brings back some very pleasant memories, particularly of a tawny-haired beauty called Vivien one glorious spring...
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
DEF

Post by DEF »

Well, bollocks. Just as the buying bug strikes, I see the news that Penhaligon's is reissuing Eau de Cologne as part of the Anthology series.

http://www.basenotes.net/content/366-Ne ... -Anthology

It doesn't hurt that the bottle is smart, too.
Doug
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

I remember that one... bingo. Get It While You Can. (Though if I were shelling out for a top dollar Eau de Cologne I'd be tempted by either the Chanel or the Guerlain.)
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Doug, Hmm...interesting. They seem to be saying that the Eau de Cologne is entirely the original, whilst most of the other 'Classics' re-issues have been diddled with by that Duchaufour chap. I certainly hope they don't mess with their Eau de Lavende when they get around to that one. I've had some of the Eau de Cologne in the past, and it was good, but not quite as good as I'd hoped....admittedly my expectations were very high, and it's always a personal call anyway. But I remember noting at the time that I liked the Trumper version just as well, and at 95GBP now...umm... . Yes, nice labelling though....'bout time they packaged these scents, Lime, Eau de Cologne, etc. properly. Last time around the labels looked entirely inappropriate for what the colognes were actually like.
Regards,
Gordon
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Doug's post on this piqued my interest in this scent as I like citrus and vetiver. So I got a little sample and it arrived today. Glad I got the sample as this one is not my cup of tea. I didn't care for this scent at all.

For spring and summer citrus scents I prefer the No 74 Victorian Limes, Pusser's West Indian Limes aftershave (which I am fortunate enough to have linger on me for several hours) and even the blessed Blenheim Bouquet. Darling bride has indicated a real liking for Blenheim of late so I use that on more formal occasions.

Chris
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, Well, that's neat. Quite a few women, in my experiance, really aren't very keen on Blenheim Bouquet ( all Americans admittedly ). Pusser's Lime?....don't think I know about that one...sounds interesting. And well, regarding the Eau Savage, keep in mind Michael's post above, ie. it plainly is NOT what it used to be. Circa 1971 it was a pretty nice cologne I thought.
Regards,
Gordon
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

bernards66 wrote:Chris, Well, that's neat. Quite a few women, in my experiance, really aren't very keen on Blenheim Bouquet ( all Americans admittedly ). Pusser's Lime?....don't think I know about that one...sounds interesting. And well, regarding the Eau Savage, keep in mind Michael's post above, ie. it plainly is NOT what it used to be. Circa 1971 it was a pretty nice cologne I thought.
Regards,
Gordon
Pusser's lime aftershave is very nice. I got it from the BST forum from someone who had too much in his stock. It is a nice dry lime sort of affair. Some of the more leather-skinned gents here may actually be able to use it as an aftershave but it tends to be too harsh on freshly shaven skin for me with all the citrus acids in it (I'm pretty sure they use the real thing in this). I splash it across the back of my neck and behind my ears and it lingers there for hours. Very fresh smelling.

The Mrs. is quite fond of Blenheim these days, she loves citrus in general and loves when I wear any or my limes scents but sometimes she asks for Blenheim specifically. I'm all too happy to oblige when she does even though I wear the No 74 more frequently.

As far as the original ES I suppose it might have been more to my liking years ago but not now. Now it's just another casualty of progressivism.

Chris
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, Well, my wife like the opening of Blenheim as well, but was less enchanted when the lingering pine note kicked in. To be honest, I feel somewhat the same myself.

This Pusser's stuff....is it available in the US, and if so, where?
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Ah, 1976. Aramis. Jean-Marie . . .
Regards,
Squire
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

bernards66 wrote:Chris, Well, my wife like the opening of Blenheim as well, but was less enchanted when the lingering pine note kicked in. To be honest, I feel somewhat the same myself.

This Pusser's stuff....is it available in the US, and if so, where?
Regards,
Gordon
Gordon, I don't think the Pussers is available at a brick and mortar store here Stateside. It's available here. I know you're not a fan of buying blind so I'll post you a sample soon as I can get my hands on a decent glass container.

Chris