Eau Sauvage?

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Pussers for the squeemish is a coloquial pronunciation of pursers. It was the rum tot issue to the RN by the ship's purser. Pussers rum used to be imported to the US.
Any connection?
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

KAV wrote:Pussers for the squeemish is a coloquial pronunciation of pursers. It was the rum tot issue to the RN by the ship's purser. Pussers rum used to be imported to the US.
Any connection?
Yes there is! The aftershave and the famous rum are both marketed by the same outfit. If you follow the link in my previous post you notice you can purchase the rum as well. I am unaware of the availability of the rum to US citizens but I suppose they would let you know. Hope that helps.

Chris
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, Excellent....when you get the time, of course. Looks interesting.
Regards,
Gordon
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Eau sauvage is a classic cologne that might have gone through some changes but it is still one of the best.
I have used it for the last two years. It starts with a fresh lemon scent and by the end of the day has turned into something closer to a sandlewood/citrus fragrance. It appears to vanish after several hours but later in the day it reappears with this new woody fragrance.
DEF

Post by DEF »

Many thanks to Dave T, who sent me a 10 ml mini of Eau Sauvage gratis. It arrived today, and I immediately tried some on the back of my hand.

It wasn't as overtly citrus as I was expecting; in fact the petitgrain was dominant. I like petitgrain, which is in the heart of Woods of Windsor, as well. All in all, it seems very light and clean. I look forward to giving it a full wearing tomorrow.

Thanks again to Dave T!
Doug
Lord Ponsenberry Smyth

Post by Lord Ponsenberry Smyth »

Bargepole wrote:Eau Sauvage was a masterpiece. Was. A pale sugary ghost of itself now. The trick was some stuff called Hedione™ which the perfumer - Edmond Roudnitska - got a period of exclusive rights to, I believe. Weird stuff. On its own it's a sort of slightly brisk jasmine-and-pear-skins smell (at least to my nose) but in combination with citrus oils it seems to prolong their presence. So the effect is (was) a faintly floral cologne with a long--lasting freshness. It was quite something. Now it's just inoffensive, unfortunately. Remembering the smell brings back some very pleasant memories, particularly of a tawny-haired beauty called Vivien one glorious spring...
A beautifully written, insightful and ( IMHO ) extremely accurate analysis.
I agree entirely that latter day Christian Dior Eau Sauvage is literally a pale and palid shadow of it's former glory....Vivien ?.... I am not so sure about.

ES exhibits way too much heavy handed citrus/musk and has lost the elegance and subtle, delicate and clear jasmine freshness that characterised earlier incarnations.
David Ponsenberry Smyth 111. ( Lord )
Advocate for the use of French and Italian soaps.

Post by marsos52 »

wow i havent thought about Dior Eau Savage for ages

i loved that stuff. i wont leave the house unless i bathed in it..
kidding of course ...

probably the best colonge i ever tried
EL Alamein

Re:

Post by EL Alamein »

EL Alamein wrote:Doug's post on this piqued my interest in this scent as I like citrus and vetiver. So I got a little sample and it arrived today. Glad I got the sample as this one is not my cup of tea. I didn't care for this scent at all.

For spring and summer citrus scents I prefer the No 74 Victorian Limes, Pusser's West Indian Limes aftershave (which I am fortunate enough to have linger on me for several hours) and even the blessed Blenheim Bouquet. Darling bride has indicated a real liking for Blenheim of late so I use that on more formal occasions.

Chris
Well, here we are three years later and it's time for an about-face. The sample I got of Eau Sauvage way back when was most definitely off. Recently in my search for a light Summer fragrance on a whim I decided to get a vintage example of this just to see if I would like the old juice better. I thought maybe it was entirely different. I had access to a vintage sample (circa 1996) so I indulged. The seller was in Spain and was gracious enough to also send a sample of the latest formulation so I could compare the differences. The addition of the modern sample was completely unsolicited but very much appreciated.

When the samples got here I gave them a try and wow, that other sample didn't smell like these. It was definitely off. These recent samples smell fantastic. I like both the vintage and the modern, though you could tell them apart. The vintage had a more natural citrus scent to my nose and it didn't last as long as the modern stuff on my skin. Other than that they were pretty much the same.

This is a great Summer fragrance to me and I'm glad I took the chance on that vintage sample. I'll be splashing this on as the hot weather rolls in and I'll be enjoying it all day long. It's just what I've been looking for.

Chris
JRTASTER

Re: Eau Sauvage?

Post by JRTASTER »

Chris,

Thanks for reviving this thread and especially for your reaction to your latest experience with ES.

My memories of it date back to the early 80's and Paris, where my first bottle was purchased at Printemps during
a business trip. At the time, my employer was an international fragrance marketer and ES could be worn only when
not around business friends and associates. My company sold some really excellent men's scents as well and access
to them was easy and free, so I didn't feel deprived when not wearing ES..

An "Extreme" version of ES was introduced, presumably to respond to the "rap" that the regular version was short-
lived. It didn't appeal to me nearly so much as the original.

Fast forward to about 2 years ago when suddenly without explanation an incredible yearning to get some ES overtook
me. Money was available and a couple of online stores had it on "special." But all the negative comments here that
the product had undergone changes and was, as someone here said, a mere shadow of itself put me off. Decided
instead to get some Acqua di Parma, a nice enough fragrance for sure but not to my mind as good on me as I remember
the original ES.

You have reawakened the urge and now I don't know what to do...buy or not! Were I still working, the choice would be
easier, but retired now and rarely wear a quality cologne. Still.....

jr?john
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

John, if you look hard enough there are some little samples available in the GLASS container. They are small but enough for say one or two wearings splashed on. And you can splash this stuff liberally without fear of offending anyone so maybe just one use depending on the size you order. My only advice is get it like that as it's rather a small price to pay to see if you still like it. I know the Perfumed Court and Surrender to Chance sell samples in glass (though not the same container as the vintage stuff which looks like a miniature version of the big flacon - that's what I got for the vintage stuff). If you still like it then you can order a regular sized flacon.

Despite seeming to fade away it still lingers close to the skin as I can smell it in whiffs during the day depending on how I move. And the wife can still smell it when I get home in the late afternoon when she comes in close for a welcome home kiss. Good stuff!

Chris
Zemlya

Post by Zemlya »

Such a classic. Truly a timeless fragrances that defies age and gender.

It lasts on my skin fairly well, but wears close as it should.

Don't make the mistake of trying the "perfumer" version as it is a completely different scent.