chime in with your favorite aftershave

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
jpq5

Post by jpq5 »

Well as expected, a wide range of taste. Which is good because I was planning on purchasing at least 3. So to go along with my witch hazel, I'll go with Harris pink. I love Taylor's cream and soap, so I think it would only be fair to give their a/s a try. As for the third, haven't decided yet. Maybe skin food. Thank you all once again for your input.
Make.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that
genius has it's limits. ---Albert Einstein
Bob

Post by Bob »

I can't recommend the Harris Pink highly enough. It's simply superb. And, I've like the Taylor's colognes/aftershaves I've tried, as well.

For the third, I'll put in a recommendation for Caswell-Massey's No. 6. It's relatively inexpensive, works well, and has very pleasant fragrance with some citrus. It's great for summer wear, in my opinion.
--Bob--
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

TBoner wrote:Burt's Bees Rosewater & Glycerin is my replacement for Pink. . . .
Rosewater, glycerin and witch hazel I can use, but there's some other ingredient or combo in the concoction that irritated me. However, I think I've grown tougher skin of late so am willing to give it another shot.
Ron
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Eau Sauvage after shave splash :D :D :D

This stuff seems to do the trick and has a great scent as well.
druphus

Post by druphus »

rsp1202 wrote:I think I've grown tougher skin of late...
What are you basing this on Ron? Tell us more!
Regards,
Andy
gagarin

Post by gagarin »

No aftershave for me, since I don't like the drying effect of alcohol. I apply Nivea Sensitive Balm. This is followed by rosehip seed oil as prescribed by The Fisher King of SMF lore.

Rosehip is great stuff, moisturizing without being oily at all.

Regards,
Chuck

“Hundido en horizontes
soy polvareda que al viento va.
Zamba, ya no me dejes,
yo sin tu canto no vivo más…….”
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I use one of the Thayer's Witch Hazel astringents (Original, Peach, or Lemon), mixed with a tiny bit of lather and massaged into the skin. This works as well as a balm for me.

The Thayer's astringents have 10% alcohol, but no noticeable alcohol effect. With aloe vera in the formula, they aren't drying, either.

I don't use typical aftershave products because of my sensitivity to perfumery.

- Murray
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

druphus wrote:
rsp1202 wrote:I think I've grown tougher skin of late...
What are you basing this on Ron? Tell us more!
I forgot, Andy's got it in for me, my babyface and big feet. :lol:

Andy, life . . . just . . . life. <sigh>
Ron
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Ron
Without testing, knowing WHAT exactly is causing a reaction is voodoo science. But I can almost promise whatever caused you discomfort before will cause it again.
A classic case in point is ALOE VERA. Do a websearch and pages proclaim it as miracle and organic cure for everything. Now do a websearch for Aloe Vera AS allergic causative agent. The literature is almost nil, but for a few anecdotal instances. But the truth is it can cause severe reaction in some people. The 'organic industry' has as much economic stake in it as a major pharamaceutical company pushing a ill tested drug that proves dangerous.
Until you know for sure, I would tell Burt's Bees to buzz off! :wink:
Hoos

Post by Hoos »

With aftershaves, I'm particular and don't use them every day. My current preferences are:

1. Trumper's Limes for summer/warmer weather.
2. D.R. Harris Arlington for cooler weather.
3. Lucky Tiger aftershave for any time (no alcohol).
4. Kiehl's Blue Astringent for very hot weather.

One's I don't use often (but still appreciate in their own way):

1. Aqua Velva Blue Ice (scent is too strong).
2. D.R. Harris Arlington Milk (scent is too strong and lingers).

For a while, Crabtree & Evelyn made a natural aftershave balm that was actually very nice - no sticky/tacky residue or feeling of something on the skin with a very mild scent.
Brent
Tondeo ergo sum.
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

For the money it is Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue. Daily of late. I have some Nivea that is liqud like the AV but can't find it now. It is really woncerful stuff!

But I do want to get something in the limes, one that I could use a lot and not get tired of quickly. Maybe TOBS No. 74?
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
scaryshoes

Post by scaryshoes »

AV Classic Ice Blue Splash, and Mentolo (from Giovanni) for a balm :D
Anthony

God is good all of the time.

Post by rsp1202 »

KAV wrote:Ron
Without testing, knowing WHAT exactly is causing a reaction is voodoo science. But I can almost promise whatever caused you discomfort before will cause it again.
A classic case in point is ALOE VERA. Do a websearch and pages proclaim it as miracle and organic cure for everything. Now do a websearch for Aloe Vera AS allergic causative agent. The literature is almost nil, but for a few anecdotal instances. But the truth is it can cause severe reaction in some people. The 'organic industry' has as much economic stake in it as a major pharamaceutical company pushing a ill tested drug that proves dangerous.
Until you know for sure, I would tell Burt's Bees to buzz off! :wink:
Thanks for reminding me about the aloe, KAV. And to Brent and others who've posted about Lucky Tiger products, which I'm now interested in trying.
Ron
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

I'm going to promote ALT INNSBRUK a second time. People in public will have some awareness of the classics ie Bay Rum. I was out early today; a job interview and on to the recycling center for gas, milk and catfood money.
So I'm lugging beer bottles from the car trunk and the attendant, Tony from Tuscany stops me, peers at my tie and says ' Fialle silk!' that's a nice tie. Lady behind me is sniffing my midden to I.D. my aftershave until I identified it.
I'm in the store line and this jaw dropping blonde walks over with her husband and announces ' Liebshin, that is Alt Innsbruk!' And I gave them Phil's website.
I walked in for the third positive reaction. After Piewacket dragged his catfood from the sack he jumped into my arms. Now, Pie will turn his back like a dishonouring Klingon with some of my scents. But he gave me a kiss and licked my cheek before starting to Purr in contentment!
Alt Innsbruk- it's great smelling and unique!
jtpca

Post by jtpca »

KAV wrote:I'm going to promote ALT INNSBRUK a second time. People in public will have some awareness of the classics ie Bay Rum. I was out early today; a job interview and on to the recycling center for gas, milk and catfood money.
So I'm lugging beer bottles from the car trunk and the attendant, Tony from Tuscany stops me, peers at my tie and says ' Fialle silk!' that's a nice tie. Lady behind me is sniffing my midden to I.D. my aftershave until I identified it.
I'm in the store line and this jaw dropping blonde walks over with her husband and announces ' Liebshin, that is Alt Innsbruk!' And I gave them Phil's website.
I walked in for the third positive reaction. After Piewacket dragged his catfood from the sack he jumped into my arms. Now, Pie will turn his back like a dishonouring Klingon with some of my scents. But he gave me a kiss and licked my cheek before starting to Purr in contentment!
Alt Innsbruk- it's great smelling and unique!
Nothing short of Poetry in Motion KAV!!!

We could all dream of such a morning. I wish you the best of luck with the interview result.

NB I have just ordered a bottle of Alt Insbruk and wonder if it will deviate me from my standard Bay Rum fix???
Jason

There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know. - Truman
KAV

Post by KAV »

Not at all. I have; Alt Innsbruk- Ogallala bay rum- Woods of Windsor and Geurlain Imperiale in my cabinet. Oh yes, I am going to save so much money and my face dumping disposables.
No, what happens is like Star Wars. You close your eyes like Yoda and one bottle will start to shake and fly into your hand. And it will be JUST RIGHT for that paricular day.
prism

Post by prism »

Lustray Menthol is my favorite aftershave; similar to Mennen Skin Bracer (old) but a stronger scent and heavier on the menthol. I agree with KAV; Alt Innsbruck is very unique ,and a runner-up for my favorite .
Make Mine Menthol! Vic
2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

Splashes: Pitralon Classic, Alt Innsbruck, Harris Sandalwood.
Balms: L'Occitane Cade and Eau des Baux, AoS Lavender.
Menthol (yes, it gets a special category): Aqua Velva Ice Blue, Nivea Cooling Balm

--Glenn
Dave_D

Post by Dave_D »

Aqua Velva Ice Blue Classic as a daily go-to and Alt Innsbruck. They say AV hasnt changed in the new plastic bottle and I'd sure like to believe it, but the one Ive tried seems weak compared to what I'm used to. Have a good stock of the glass ones fortunately.
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

Last edited by joe mcclaine on Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.