Dr. Galen's Herbal Skin Tonic

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Dr. Galen's Herbal Skin Tonic

Post by TRBeck »

This is a C.O. Bigelow product available at many (but not all) Bath & Body Works stores. I had seen it on the shelves before and pondered it as a skin toner, but I use the much less expensive Thayer's witch hazel for that purpose, so I never bothered really examining it. A couple of weeks ago, I saw mention of it in Gary's (brothers) SOTD, and he had used it as an aftershave. I went to B&BW the next day and checked it out in detail. Alcohol and witch hazel: so far, so good. Some glycerin and aloe for moisturizing and soothing: very nice. Clary Sage and Rosemary extracts for scent and skin care: intriguing. Throw in some camphor and menthol for a medicinal scent and cooling effect, and I was sold. There's a bit of salicylic acid, too, which is used in many products designed to prevent razor bumps and ingrowns. The amount is less than 1%, based on where it's listed in the ingredients. It's not an ingredient I would care to have in a larger amount, but I think it will be fine in a minute quantity like this.

I've used the aftershave for the past three days, and I have to say I'm very happy with it. The alcohol content is not significant, I don't think, or if it is, it's not enough to affect my skin. The scent is fleeting, medicinal, sort of like Proraso but without eucalyptus. I like it, actually, as I love that essence-of-liniment smell as a pick-me-up, but if you don't like it, well, it won't last. Gone in 60 seconds. As a point of reference, the scent of Thayer's aftershave lasts longer on me than this.

As for efficacy, my skin feels tight, smooth, and moisturized after I've used it. It does seem to do the job of closing the pores well, and it soothes nicely. Thanks to the alcohol, menthol, and camphor, it's bracing, but the menthol effect is not extreme, just pleasantly cool for a few seconds.

I have only two aftershave splashes that see real daily use: Thayer's aftershave witch hazel and Burt's Bees Rosewater & Glycerin Toner. The rest get used at most once every two weeks when I want scent but don't want an EdT. Dr. Galen's will be taking up residence in the regular-use rotation now, too, I think. I want to be sure that the ingredients won't bother my skin over the course of, say, two weeks of steady use, and I will be testing that soon, as soon as I give that Lucky Tiger face tonic a spin.

Dr. Galen's runs $12 for a 6.3 oz. (plastic) bottle, and it is well worth that price, IMO. You can buy it, as I said, at "select" B&BW stores or from B&BW or C.O. Bigelow online.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Interesting. I have been using, and only intermittently, Jason Aloe Vera gel. I used to use Thayers, and well, blow hot and cold with the Trumper Skin food ( I have had bottles that did not have that tacky feeling and for the price, I want the tacky/gummy feeling and if not, then it is Thayers to me but at a higher price).

Between the two, Galens or Thayers, a preference? What about that Lucky Tiger?
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Sam, as of now, Thayer's is still my favorite, but I can see the Galen's giving it a run for its money. The Lucky Tiger is one I have picked up but not used. Alcohol-free liquid with lots of EOs; light citrus scent. I will be using Castle Forbes Lime cream and that aftershave starting tomorrow, and I will use both for at least a week straight unless I get irritation from one or both of them.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

A very comprehensive review, Tim.
I´ll be looking forward to your take on the Lucky Tiger.
Not to ignite your AD, but have you got around to the Musgo Real?
Eric
rsp1202

Re: Dr. Galen's Herbal Skin Tonic

Post by rsp1202 »

Since this tonic is a part of Tim and Gary's routine and receives many positive reviews, I decided to give it a try. After one use it's left my face feeling incredibly tacky, moreso than I ever felt with Thayer's various witch hazels. After half an hour the feeling has decreased somewhat, but it still hasn't absorbed fully. This wasn't mentioned in any review so I'm wondering if it's just my bad reaction. I'd hate to think I blew it again on aftershaves, especially after my less than favorable experience with Lucido.

The Galen's has one big positive going for it: my face feels great. But the sticky feeling is a deal breaker. I'll wait it out and see what happens.
Ron
brothers

Re: Dr. Galen's Herbal Skin Tonic

Post by brothers »

Ron, I haven't had that problem. This has also been reported by some guys when they use 444 ASB. They complain that it's sticky. 444 is a very moisturizing balm, as is the COBigelow. It may be the moisturizing effect that some perceive as tacky. When I rub my face after applying one of the above, I feel moist skin. It's not powdery or dry, just hydrated and smooth. I really like the unique scent and the feel of the Bigelow Skin Tonic.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444